Updating weight?! Every week really? Why!

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and track this on my calendar and periodically put this in Excel. I just log new lows that have stuck (rather than fluctuations) in MFP.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You don't have to weigh every week. It is up to you.

I hated weighing in weekly initially. Any weight gain I perceived as failure rather than just data.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Repeating what lots of other people are saying ...

I weigh myself every morning (right when I wake up, after peeing, no clothes on - for consistency!). I record this weight every day on the app Happy Scale which tracks trends.

I only really update my MFP weight when there has been a significant change. Since I use the other app to track my progress more closely, the only "point" of updating on MFP is that it changed your calorie goal after a significant change.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Daily.

Dont fear the scale. its the one friend you have that is telling the truth without insult or judgement.

It doesn't always tell the truth though thanks to water weight and fluctuations

The truth includes water weight loss and gain. the fact that you havent pooped yet and many others.

Fearing the scale is not healthy. its a road to quitting in my opinion.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log any loss no matter how small. I only log gains if they stick around for a while. Doing it this way has been successful in keeping me excited and engaged in the process. I basically jump out of bed every morning to see what Santa brought me. ^_^

That said, I have my weigh-in notifications turned off so I don't clog up my friend's newsfeeds! They're all very supportive, but I don't want to spam them!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily and record in a trending app. Only record new lows in MFP. Only record gains when they are significant or last longer than a few weeks.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily in the morning not expecting any weight loss. And somedays I get super excited to see number go down. Also, to see my daily weight flacuations.
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and log on mfp once a week. Loss & gain
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily and record it in fitbit. My FitBit is synced with MFP and Trendweight so it automatically updates both of those sites. I like to track my fluctuations. It helps me see my overall progress and avoid getting stressed or discouraged by one high number.

If I only weighed 1-2 times a month and it happen to fall during TOM or after a high sodium meal I might think I'd gained when I didn't
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like to do it once a week. I don't have any interest in weighing daily and keeping track of fluctuations. I mean if it's going down in the long run what's to analyze? I guess I don't get it.

If you want to weigh 2x a month more power to you. It is a little disheartening weighing and being the same or more than the week before. But I know it doesn't really mean anything.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Daily via my Garmin WiFi scale. I also track in Happy Scale :-)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I just make it a habit to weigh in daily at home. I like to see the overall trend and I don't freak out over the numbers. I don;t have to remember to weigh in on some schedule. If I an out of town I just don;t weigh that day.
    jzhaq0fmz07v.png

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Once a week check in with the scale is right for me. I have tried daily but it bothers me to do that.
    It depends on how much data you want to have. Once a month isn't much data to compare. Daily is a lot of data.
    No matter how often you weigh yourself, be aware of normal fluctuations and compare weight changes over time. Don't freak out over one weigh in.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and log it in my calendar. I only update MFP when I reach the next low.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    How often do you update your weight on MFP? I honestly don't want to weight my self but maybe twice a month, if not less. What are your thoughts? I guess I'm still sensitive at seeing such a high weight I'm scared to look. ☹️
    You can't live and die by the scale. It's just a measurement of progression that can easily change by just drinking a glass of water.
    Personally I weigh everyday. I've learned to understand how fluctuations in the body work and that weighing everyday for me helps me to be AWARE of what I may need to do that day to help continue with fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• givesometogetsome
    givesometogetsome Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh usually every day, but only record it once a month. The one I record is the one that counts. The other weigh ins are just for curiosity's sake. The scale is a fun tool. I like finding out how certain foods and intakes affect my weight. Though if it ever becomes emotional, I'd stop weighing daily in a heartbeat.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    How often do you update your weight on MFP? I honestly don't want to weight my self but maybe twice a month, if not less. What are your thoughts? I guess I'm still sensitive at seeing such a high weight I'm scared to look. ☹️

I weigh myself maybe 2x weekly, but weigh myself several times on those days to figure out my high and low times so that I can tell when I've actually "lost". I lose in clumps, so it's easier that way. I'll often go 14 to 17 without a change and then WHAM...3 to 4 pounds overnight. Then if it "stays" for a few days, I know it's my current weight.

I don't measure because I never measured in the past, so it's meaningless for me. I'm also sure I'm doing it wrong. I only log when I'm sure the sudden drop is sticking around. Just turn those dumb reminders off so you don't feel stressed.

Taking lots of pics and trying on old/new clothes is my best measurement of progress.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week.. Because I can't help myself :s
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, so only measure at the gym. Often just one or twice a month at the most I know there's no point in weighing one week before my period or during my period- so that's two full weeks out for me. I honestly gain around 4lbs during that time which I honestly didn't know before hand.

At the moment I've started lifting weights and strength training a week ago.The scale says my weight has gone up by around 5 pounds, but I know my diet has been good and I've been exercising as usual. So just don't let the scale be the be all and end all.

Infrequent weighing works best for me, but more frequent weighing would allow you to make necessary adjustments more quicker.