men wearing shirts in the swimming pool

Options

Replies

• WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wear a t-shirt because I have see-through skin, and I burn in ten minutes without extra coverage. I even wear sunscreen UNDER the t-shirt, to have backup for my backup.

LMAO without even looking I know you are a fellow ginger. See through skin!! Nurses NEVER have a problem finding our veins though.
  • bgpeck2
    bgpeck2 Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The last time that I got into the water shirtless was when i was 14 years old (I'm now 38)_...i was already developing moobs at that point in my life and my own family laughed and made fun of me...I have even went so far as to avoid going swimming even with a shirt on, if i knew or even thought that there would be a lot of people around...
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Cancer is an *kitten*. I don't tan, I lobster. I am the Pasty Gangsta for a reason. Gotta protect the name.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've worn one before, many years ago. I was ashamed of my body, I thought the t shirt would hide it. Looking back, i was very wrong and it probably drew more attention to me than being shirtless would have
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I wear a shirt for two reasons. 1) I have a peritoneal catheter and I don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable. 2) I sunburn like a mofo, so wearing an spf swim shirt is in order. Anybody gives me grief about it, I'm usually the best swimmer at the pool. Nobody wants to get dropped by a middle age man. They usually STHU.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A lot of guys I know that wear a T-shirt do it because they don't want sunburn. I'm shockingly white so I totally understand this.
    I also get it when a guy just feels too exposed. I don't think I've ever looked at a guy and thought "I wonder what he's hiding under there." I just get not wanting to be half naked in front of others.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't give it a thought. It's not my business or anyone else's. If someone wants to wear a shirt, wear a shirt.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

when i show up at the pool, everybody insists that i put on a shirt. it warms my heart that so many people are concerned about my skin's well-being.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    it can be weird but it depends gxtr4brm4k9f.gif
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My husband wears a shirt because he's pale and burns easily but also because he has a huge keloid scar from heart surgery and it freaks people out. He tells people he got an axe in the chest!
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    Sapper0610 wrote: »
    I do because I burn easily and also it helps when my son wants to pull on my chest hair.

This might be the most epic first post ever.

On topic, when I was clinically obese I used to wear a shirt at the beach or pool. I used to hide under a shirt no matter where I was actually. For a good 10+ years of my life you'd never see me outside of my home not wearing a shirt. Ever.

Self esteem, confidence and body issues can manifest themselves in different ways and hiding your body just happens to be one of them.

Now? I live by the Matthew Mcconaughey shirt regimen. You'd have a hard time seeing me outside with the sun shining wearing a shirt. I hid my body for far too long, I've been making up for lost time.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I do because I burn easily and also it helps when my son wants to pull on my chest hair.

AND resurrecting a 4 year old thread at that.
  • projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

AND resurrecting a 4 year old thread at that.

Haha yup.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ocarina wrote: »
    I don't blame them. I've never worn a t-shirt because I thought it looked awful in the water/after swimming but I won't wear bikinis. Don't think I should... I like tankinis. Maybe a one piece if it was flattering.

Hmm, guys in tankinis/one-piece's :confused: ... maybe this will be the year that female swimwear crosses over. Shucks, if it works for rompers, why not for swim suits?
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Those romphims are expensive they want 100 bucks for them
  • lexiehtown
    lexiehtown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't bat an eye. Believe me, everyone is more concerned about their own self I'm swimming garb than a shirt on another
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    i think some of it is a cultural thing

yep...men of walmart vs men of macy's
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I literally don't think about what other people do and why unless it directly affects me.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I started doing aqua aerobics when I was 376# four years ago..no shirt. Now still go to aqua aerobics and swim 1/2 mile in laps. CW 209#

When I see BIG guys at the pool with shirt on I think" You are not hiding a thing." One guy even wraps a beach towel around his waist when he gets out of the pool which I think brings more stares and attention to him.
    After losing 166# I have a lot of loose flab/skin, not a pretty picture but I tell myself it's the price I pay for a lifetime of abuse.
    The internal health benefits outweigh the embarrassment of how my 69 yo body looks.

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I burn ridiculously bad. Went to mexico and didn't wear a shirt. after the first day I had such a bad sunburn that we were putting pepto-bismol on my skin to stop the pain. by far the most painful sunburn I have ever had and I was wearing waterproof spf 50. I was then relegated to the hotel room for the remainder of the trip during the day only able to go back outside after the sun went down.

Shirt on for the win.