Protein consumption

Options
How many grams of protein should I consume per day. It has me at a low intake and I've read to have 1 gram per pound. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That 1 gram per pound typically refers to pound of lean body mass. So, usually somewhere between 0.6 g to 0.8 g per lb of actual bodyweight. Since we don't know your weight, we can't give you any hard numbers. But, if you weight ~200 lb, then 120-160 g of protein. If you're up around 300 lb, then 180 or so grams. You may be able to get by with less, but those are some generally good starting points.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    5' 7" 167# 48 yo female I weight lift, do yoga and walk for exercise, and I aim for 126 g/day to maintain my weight.

My husband is a 6 ft, 235ish male, more serious than I am as a lifter and walks if I ask him to go with me, and he aims for 190-200g/day.

It depends on your goals other than weight loss and also on what helps you feel full so that you can meet your weight loss goals.
  • brn_deveney
    brn_deveney Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im at 180
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,909 Member
    Options
    You don't need protein to maintain fat mass, only to maintain your lean mass. Therefore 0.6-0.8g per pound of a healthy goal weight is a reasonable approximation. You don't need to base it on your current weight, if you have fat you plan to lose.