Need help with Macros for weight loss!

Options
Hey guys! First time posting for me.

I'm 5'6. Female, age 27 and weigh 154lbs.
After an injury a few years ago I've gained 2 stone and would like to get back to 9stone again.

I've calculated my calorie intake as 2000 - going to the gym 6 days a week and burning on average 700 calories a workout.

My macros I've worked out are 154 grams of protein, 46g of fat, 257 grams of carbs. I'm concerned about the carb intake. Is this too high for fat loss? Or do I need it for the gym workouts? How often would I need to update my calorie intake and macros? Weekly? Monthly? Or after a few lbs loss?

I'm aiming for a 2lb a week loss. :) Thanks guys! Very much appreciated.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't dictate weight loss. Calories do.
  • rach__b
    rach__b Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Haha I get that. However, is it worth reducing the calories fron carbs? As opposed to fat?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rach__b wrote: »
    Haha I get that. However, is it worth reducing the calories fron carbs? As opposed to fat?

Assuming your calories are in order, a higher intake of carbohydrates isn't going to prevent fat loss. Assuming you are getting sufficient protein and fat, you can have the rest of your calories in carbohydrates or in more fat (or protein) -- whichever you prefer.
  • rach__b
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    That's more than enough protein to support muscle, so your carbs should be fine for a healthy person with no blood glucose issues. As @AnvilHead stated, it's all about calories, not carbs as far as weight loss is concerned. Focus on whole grains, legumes, dairy, and fruits if you want nutrient dense carbs.

I'm wondering about the 2000 calories / 2 lbs a week, though. It's a rare person of your height and weight who can lose that quickly on that many calories, even being active. 700 calories per workout is certainly possible, but many people find they really burn fewer. Not to mention that as close as you are to normal weight, losing 2 lbs a week isn't necessarily the best way - slower can be better, since your metabolism stays high and you are less likely to revolt and gain back the weight.

My suggestion would be to log your food for a week without making any changes at all, and see how much you're currently eating. Then reduce calories based on that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you're going to eat low carb, you'll be eating high fat. Your setup sounds a bit unbalanced - very little fat and a lot of protein. But the amount of carbs is not going to prevent fat loss. Adherence to calorie deficit for weight loss, macros for adherence to calorie deficit. So find a way of eating that feels good for you.

Ops, yes, 2000 calories sounds a bit high for weight loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Takes about a 10 lb change of weight for the calorie change to be significant enough to matter.

Side note - even if the 2lb weekly loss rate was reasonable now with plenty to lose - it will be very unreasonable later with little left to lose.
    If you don't purposely lower the rate - you'll likely find your body forcing it on you - with a lot more stress and negative side effects from that route.

Fat seems a tad low, perhaps 0.37g/lb weight be better - 57-60 g then, 513-540, or 25-27%.

Take it from the carbs.
  • rach__b
    Options
    thanks Rheddmobile. I did have an inkling it was too high. But I assumed it would be slow and steady at first. Really appreciate your response :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    agree with others - I'd probably drop your protein slightly and replace with fats (for reference, I'm 5'3", 148 and take in 140g protein a day, between 70-80g fat and 230-345g carbs - depending on where I am in my cycle)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

After an injury a few years ago I've gained 2 stone and would like to get back to 9stone again.

I've calculated my calorie intake as 2000 - going to the gym 6 days a week and burning on average 700 calories a workout.

My macros I've worked out are 154 grams of protein, 46g of fat, 257 grams of carbs. I'm concerned about the carb intake. Is this too high for fat loss? Or do I need it for the gym workouts? How often would I need to update my calorie intake and macros? Weekly? Monthly? Or after a few lbs loss?

Calories matter for weight loss. Macro balance matters for how well satiated/satisfied you feel. Go for trial and error. If it works for you, keep at it. If something does not seem right, make an adjustment.

Just a note that unless you are very active in your life/job/hobbies OR you're going hard for 90-120 minutes in your workouts, that consuming 2000 daily to lose 2 pounds a week is a bit of a stretch for your height/weight.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Agreeing with the other posters in that 2000 sounds a bit high for your height/weight. What do you have your activity level set as? What do you do during the day for your job? A lot of people, myself included, find it most accurate to set their activity level lower (sedentary for most people, or lightly active for people who are on their feet such as teachers and salespeople) and then manually put in the exercise calories.

Carbs don't really matter for weight loss. Some people experience weight loss when they cut carbs, but that is from water weight, not "real" weight so you will just gain it back when you eat carbs again. That being said, as your body adjusts to a lower calorie intake (once again, I would double check your calculations) it will help you feel fuller to eat high protein. Carbs, especially empty carbs like white bread for example, will not fill you up. Protein and healthy fats will keep you feeling full.

I personally have my macros set to 30% protein/ 35% fat/ 35% carbs. A lot of people also do 40/30/30. It really depends on your exercise routine (weights vs cardio).
  • MoreSteakLessSpice
    MoreSteakLessSpice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Those macros look off.

Try this: https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Best macro calculator on the Internet
  • rach__b
    Options
    Thank you all! Much appreciated! :)
  • rach__b
    Options
    I work in a hospital, I'm literally on my feet 6 hours a day, but I normally mountain bike/hike in the evening :)

If 2000 is a bit too much then what would be the best estimate?

If I'm burning 700 calories a workout and eating 2000, my net amount is 1300. So I'm only over eating by 100 calories? Urghh! I really don't want my body to go into starvation mode or screw up my metabolism.

Calories matter for weight loss. Macro balance matters for how well satiated/satisfied you feel. Go for trial and error. If it works for you, keep at it. If something does not seem right, make an adjustment.

Just a note that unless you are very active in your life/job/hobbies OR you're going hard for 90-120 minutes in your workouts, that consuming 2000 daily to lose 2 pounds a week is a bit of a stretch for your height/weight.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Calculated calorie goals are just a starting point estimate. No need to overthink it; try it for a month (maybe 6 weeks for premenopausal women), ignore the first couple of weeks (water weight weirdness is typical), and look at the average of the later weeks. Adjust based on those results.

At 154lb with only 2 stone to lose, 2 pounds weekly would risk being unhealthily fast. 1% of body weight per week (less starting at 25lb or so above goal) is a reasonable rule of thumb for maximum healthy weight loss.

I agree with others that you could drop protein a bit, and should eat a bit more fat.

Individuals people have different opinions (especially about protein), but I target 0.6-.8g protein minimum per pound (no, not kg) of healthy goal weight, .35-.45g fat minimum per pound of healthy goal weight, and let carbs fall where they may to hit calorie goal.

USDA/WHO and similar organizations recommend around half that much protein, some vegan blogs even less, bodybuilding sites often recommend more. My reading of research is that we need a little more protein while losing weight, and while doing exercise that requires muscle repair. A bit extra won't hurt a healthy person, so I'd rather err on that side.

For sure, protein is needed only to maintain lean body mass (LBM). Some protein recommendations are formulated & phrased in terms of LBM, but most of us don't know LBM (scales are inaccurate), so for ease I use a goal in terms of healthy goal weight that's been adjusted accordingly.

For sure, you don't need to use an overweight weight as a basis to calculate: Fat mass doesn't require protein to maintain it. Some sites just use body weight as the basis, but they're often bodybuilding or fitness sites that may assume readers are already lean.