Tilapia ideas

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
would love to get ideas for tilapia , something diffrent from my usually that is low carbish, and that an 11 yearold (picky) will eat

Replies

• bbrown148
    bbrown148 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    We recently made fish tacos with Talapia. Use whatever cooking method you prefer (grill, bake, broil, etc)... put a piece in a corn tortilla with some broccoli or cabbage slaw (raw, nothing added) and add a yummy salsa. I make my own mango salsa by dicing up fresh mango, cucumber, red onion, a little jalepeno, salt, pepper & a little lime juice. This would also be great with a pineapple salsa.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    does your 11 year old like nuts? if so, my son LOVES "honey fish"...
    coat tilapia in a small drizzle of honey (you dont need much!) and then roll in pecans...
    you can either bake it or sautee it.
    it is so good, just the right amount of sweetness.

i also like to wrap the fish in foil and squeeze lemon on it. add whatever spices you feel like.. parsley, garlic, s/p, cajun seasoning, etc. wrap the foil up tight and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes... YUM! now i am getting hungry
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    We like to take about 1 serving of Lay's Kettle Cooked Jalapeno chips, crush them, and press onto the fish so it's kind of breaded. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and bake. We can usually make 4-5 filets with one serving of chips, so you're really only getting an extra 30-40 calories by adding the chips, and it tastes awesome... picky husband and child approved!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia.

I make grilled fish tacos with it.

Season the fish with a bit of cumin, garlic, salt & pepper. Then grill the fillets for a few minutes on each side until cooked (but not overcooked).

Slice them lengthwise and put in a tortilla. I use 2 warmed corn tortillas for a taco but you could use flour too.

I make slaw from finely julienned broccoli stems, carrots and red cabbage. Mix with just a little lowfat sour cream. Add same seasoning as the fish, I usually add a bit of chipotle/adobo to give it a little spice. You don't want it to wet.

Put the slaw on top of the taco, spritz a little lime juice. I don't know about your 11 year old but my 2 year old loves the fish like that. Obviously no spicy slaw for him.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A new favorite in our house is broiled tilapia with a mustard-chive sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/broiled-tilapia-with-mustard-chive-sauce-recipe/index.html

It uses greek yogurt as a base to make it a little healthier. I usually follow the recipe for the sauce, and then adjust the seasoning to taste.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't know how you usually eat it, but my way of cooking it:
    1fillet (98cal)
    sliver of butter (real) (about 1/8 of a tsp) (10-20cal)
    as much garlic salt and pepper as I feel like (calorie free!)
    Cook in alum foil on grill (15min), in crockpot (4hrs), or in covered dish in Microwave (6min)
    When I have extra calores, and I want extra flavor, I use a tbsp of grated Parm-romano cheese (25cal) on top, after I've cooked it, and just let it melt a little before serving YUM! I loves it.

I serve it with a 1/2c uncooked rice (split 1/3 - 2/3 for me, husband respectively) with a tsp of chicken bouillon (15cal) in it (while it cooks). Yummo!
    The Tilapia comes out to 145 cal and the rice is whatever rice amount, you make, plus 15cal per tsp.

PS> My very picky husband loves this!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I like it with a lot of Cajun seasoning and/or red pepper flakes.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/search?q=tilapia

I haven't tried them/entered them but the fish sticks seem easy (and easily altered)