Weighing cooked meat

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I know when meat is cooked it weighs less than when it's raw.

What I want to know is...if you're weighing something that's already been cooked, how much do you generally add on when logging? I don't look for "cooked" entries in the database because so many things are wrong so I just use my "raw" entry and bump up the weight a bit.
Like say my cooked chicken weighs 4oz, I'll log it as 5oz raw.

I guess what I'm asking is how much weight generally comes off during cooking?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weigh it raw, log raw, weigh cooked, log cooked. Simple!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    20% seems a good guess. I've weighed raw and then weighed the same item cooked, and that's pretty close.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    20% seems a good guess. I've weighed raw and then weighed the same item cooked, and that's pretty close.

Yup. I saw 25% online. Thanks.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The USDA Nutrient Database has entries for raw and cooked, if you want to keep it simple. Depending on how you're cooking really impacts how close the numbers are.

Otherwise, let's say you cook a pot roast. Not going to eat the whole thing in one setting, and you want to be as accurate as you possibly can. So here's how you come up with your number.

Get your starting raw weight. Then get your cooked weight.

Raw weight ÷ Cooked weight = Batch multiplier.
    Example: 900g raw ÷ 600g cooked = 1.5

Cut and weigh what your going to eat and multiply by the Batch multiplier. This gives you the raw weight of the piece of cooked meat.
    Example: 100g slice cooked x 1.5 = 150g raw
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Use the USDA entry for the cooked weight. Look it up in the USDA Nutrient Database, copy and paste the entry name from that into MFP, crosscheck to be sure that you choose the correct entry for calories/macros, and use it.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Yeah Thanks for asking this, Some days my husband has dinner ready before I get home and hes not going to weigh the meat raw or if he does he forgets, so this is really helpful!