Scale is yo-yoing!

Options
Hi MFPers!

I need some advice/motivation/insight! I started logging my calories last Monday, so I know this is premature, but this is the point where I usually give up because I'm not seeing results. My starting weight on Monday was 157 (I'm 5'4), but have been fluctuating from 155-158 for a couple months now. So MFP has me eating 1200 calories per day, which has been pretty easy (honestly it doesn't feel like much of a change from my normal eating habits). I have been weighting myself everyday and here are my stats (I've also got my food diary open):

7/18: 156.8
7/18: 157
7/19: 156.8
7/20: 156.8
7/21: 156.6
7/22: 154.2
7/23: 154.6
7/24: 154.4
7/25: 155
7/26: 154.2
7/27: 155.2

I am just getting frustrated at the yo-yoing of the scale and feel like I'm just maintaining my "normal" body weight or fluctuating water weight. My general goal weight is 135-145 (I've always been a voluptuous/thicker build) and looked my best around 135 before starting college (thank you booze!). Can someone tell me if this is actually working? Is there anything I need to change?

Thanks in advance. The message boards have been providing me a lot of support and motivation already from a distance!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi MFPers!

I need some advice/motivation/insight! I started logging my calories last Monday, so I know this is premature, but this is the point where I usually give up because I'm not seeing results. My starting weight on Monday was 157 (I'm 5'4), but have been fluctuating from 155-158 for a couple months now. So MFP has me eating 1200 calories per day, which has been pretty easy (honestly it doesn't feel like much of a change from my normal eating habits). I have been weighting myself everyday and here are my stats (I've also got my food diary open):

7/18: 156.8
    7/18: 157
    7/19: 156.8
    7/20: 156.8
    7/21: 156.6
    7/22: 154.2
    7/23: 154.6
    7/24: 154.4
    7/25: 155
    7/26: 154.2
    7/27: 155.2

I am just getting frustrated at the yo-yoing of the scale and feel like I'm just maintaining my "normal" body weight or fluctuating water weight. My general goal weight is 135-145 (I've always been a voluptuous/thicker build) and looked my best around 135 before starting college (thank you booze!). Can someone tell me if this is actually working? Is there anything I need to change?

Thanks in advance. The message boards have been providing me a lot of support and motivation already from a distance!
    Yep quit weighing everyday. It's obvious you're gauging you success/failure on numbers you see on a scale. Weigh once a week. Water fluctuation changes your weight throughout the day and week so even just a small increase in sodium or a hormonal burst could change it.
  • ladysarahbell
    ladysarahbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started my diet back in May at 152lbs. I'm not going to lie, my weight did what yours is doing now. Some days it still does. I'll be stuck at the same weight for like a week and than drop a few pounds. I currently eat 1200 calories a day as well. As of right now I'm 126.2lbs! So even though it's frustrating, trust me I know, don't give up. Keep doing what you and than you'll notice it come off.
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Stop getting on the scale. Give it about two weeks before you weigh yourself again. You're just driving yourself crazy right now.

Start monitoring your sodium intake as it makes you retain water. Increase the amount of water you're drinking. If you drink soda (diet or otherwise) cut back or eliminate entirely.

In two weeks I'm sure you'll see a difference.
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh - also make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time of day, no more than once a week. Best time is early morning before you've eaten.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    So youve lost 1.6lbs in 10 days. Thats 1lb a week. Thats safe weight loss and at your weight a good amount per week to lose, so youre right on track! Also quit weighing every day once a week is enough:smile:
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Looking at where your numbers are yo-yoing you have lost some weight. It's working, just stick with it! Watch the sodium and water in take, weigh at the same time of day, only weigh once a week and take measurements. Good luck!
  • Kar05g
    Kar05g Posts: 12
    Options
    I am driving myself crazy! And you are right, I'm gauging my success/failure on the scale. I'm going to try to weight in only once a week which is going to be hard (I need the constant feedback!) but will try!

And I have been weighing at the same time, right when I wake up in the morning. I'm trying to watch my sodium intake, at least not going over my recommended value on MFP.
  • swmm28_71
    swmm28_71 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff. Best not to focus on the weight aspect so often. There are too many factors on a daily basis. The best thing to do is be consistent in your diet and in your exercise. In fact, your weight might even raise a bit at first, as you build muscle. Over the course, however, your increased muscle mass will begin to burn more calories and your weight will drop steadily. Fad diets are such a temperamental - and sometimes dangerous - phenomenon. They encourage drastic weight loss through extreme measures. Understanding and catering to your body's (healthy) caloric needs and balancing it with daily exercise is a lifestyle change that will pay off for years to come.

So, in other words...KEEP IT UP!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you were to weigh yourself every monday only, you would have seen a loss of 2lbs, 157 on monday the 18th, and 155 on monday the 25th. :)
  • stroudsm
    stroudsm Posts: 1
    Options
    Try finding another goal to focus on through out the week to keep your mind off the scale. Create goals for calories burned in exercise each day, or glasses of water consumed. This might help you focus on the process, rather than the result. The results ARE there though, you've lost 1.6 lb in 9 days... that's AWESOME! :D
  • chiyuu
    chiyuu Posts: 13
    Options
    It's normal that your weight moves up and down. That's water.

Unlike the others, I'd say keep weighing yourself everyday.

What if you weight once a week and then, for whatever reason, your weight the next week is higher than the week before?

Example, you weigh in only on Mondays. But your scale would have shown this:

Monday: 155 Tuesday: 155 Wednesday: 154 Thursday: 153.5 Friday: 155 Saturday: 154 Sunday: 154

And then... Monday: 156 because you had too much sodium and didn't drink enough.

Wouldn't you be even more pissed at the scale?

I say keep using the scale everyday but make an average. All these days together divided by 7 would make 154.3 so in a week, you would have lost 0.7lbs. Not gained 1 pound!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's normal that your weight moves up and down. That's water.

Unlike the others, I'd say keep weighing yourself everyday.

What if you weight once a week and then, for whatever reason, your weight the next week is higher than the week before?

Example, you weigh in only on Mondays. But your scale would have shown this:

Monday: 155 Tuesday: 155 Wednesday: 154 Thursday: 153.5 Friday: 155 Saturday: 154 Sunday: 154

And then... Monday: 156 because you had too much sodium and didn't drink enough.

Wouldn't you be even more pissed at the scale?

I say keep using the scale everyday but make an average. All these days together divided by 7 would make 154.3 so in a week, you would have lost 0.7lbs. Not gained 1 pound!
    i like this!!
  • Kar05g
    Kar05g Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm not sure if any of y'all will come back to this post, but I wanted to say thanks for the motivation and advice. I've charged forward through the yo-yoing and kept with MFP calorie suggestion, and have continued to lose weight :) I'm down to 153 as of today (7/30). I actually feel like I'm losing weight quickly at this point! (five pounds in two weeks).

So to everyone, just keep up the good work, it will eventually go down :)
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! This happened to me in January and I gave up. I felt so terrible and totally regretted especially since I ended up gaining since them. I am determined to give it another try and not to stress myself out over the scale! Give it time sometimes it takes awhile.