Diet

I'm currently trying to lose weight. I have no problem with exercises whether it's cardio or strength training and am good at alternating between them every day.
But I find it really hard to give up foods.
I've sized down my portions a lot so that I'm eating in calorie deficit. But am still indulging in foods that aren't healthy per se.
I'm worried this is slowing down my progress and was wondering if this is a big problem?
Also any tips on how people deal with these cravings and how they are able to maintain a healthy diet. Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I fit them into my calories and stop feeling guilty over eating things I enjoy. If your diet contains various nutrient dense foods there's no reason to skip out on anything else that will fit your calorie goal.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 358 Member
    tiffany_yy wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to lose weight. I have no problem with exercises whether it's cardio or strength training and am good at alternating between them every day.
    I've sized down my portions a lot so that I'm eating in calorie deficit. But am still indulging in foods that aren't healthy per se.
    I'm worried this is slowing down my progress and was wondering if this is a big problem?
    Also any tips on how people deal with these cravings and how they are able to maintain a healthy diet. Thanks!

Are you logging those indulgent foods? If so, then it's fine to eat them. But, sometimes a handful of nuts here, and a couple pieces of chocolate there, will start to add up which is why it may be slowing down your progress if you aren't logging them in your diary. I haven't given anything up really except for my binging on a whole pizza or eating AYCE sushi every week. If I want those indulgences, I try to pre-plan them so I make it on a day I'm going to get a good sweat on at the gym or something. I have chocolate every day and I have no desire to deal with it or give it up. I just make sure to pre-log it in my diary ahead of time.
  • tiffany_yy
    tiffany_yy Posts: 14 Member
    tiffany_yy wrote: »

Are you logging those indulgent foods? If so, then it's fine to eat them. But, sometimes a handful of nuts here, and a couple pieces of chocolate there, will start to add up which is why it may be slowing down your progress if you aren't logging them in your diary. I haven't given anything up really except for my binging on a whole pizza or eating AYCE sushi every week. If I want those indulgences, I try to pre-plan them so I make it on a day I'm going to get a good sweat on at the gym or something. I have chocolate every day and I have no desire to deal with it or give it up. I just make sure to pre-log it in my diary ahead of time.

Yes I log all my foods but I do intermittent fasting so I'm doing one meal and a snack, usually a protein shake. Its not that I'm eating big portions, it's like I'll eat a small portion but it'll be something fried or something heavy in fats or unhealthy carbs. I'm just worried if the working out does nothing if I'm still eating unhealthy foods.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    I eat unhealthy foods all the time (whatever that means) and have no problem maintaining my weight. Wait? I am very healthy but my diet is all over the place. My blood tests have been so good my doctor did not need a blood test at my physical this year.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I am over 50, my blood test results are good (except thyroxine but that wasnt due to my diet) I eat plenty of unhealthy foods ( yes I know that is subjective term but in my case, I mean things like chips, cakes,chocolate - things which are delicious but high calorie, low nutrition) - in sizes and frequencies that fit into my calorie goal.

Have maintained a BMI of 23 for 4 years now..

OP as long as your overall diet is reasonably varied and nutritonally balanced and your total intake fits within your weekly calorie allowance - all is good.

Enjoy the indulgence foods - in appropriate amounts.