Motivation is a struggle when health issue getting in the way

Options
katrinamc78
katrinamc78 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
Around 4 years i started with shoulder pain which i out down to boxing, stupidly pair with 6ft men when im 5ft 1 and at the time around 9 and half stone. Anyway i went hospital in so much pain. Long story short ive done physio twice, the 2nd time around i was told ot might be something i need to live with. After about a year i couldnt cope with the pain so i went for xrays then i requested a scan for possible trapped nerve. The result came back doctor had to tell my i had demylintation which is the coating around my nerves is being attacked by my own body. I was then urgently put through for a brain mri which found the same demylintation and 3 leisions. Referred to a neurologist with suspected multipal scleriosis MS turn out im RIS which is radiological isolation syndrome so if i have a eposide then im diagonised with MS. Anyway the shoulder pain hasnt gone now they are say it could be muscularskeletal. So i set myself a target to start making myself feel better after that bad time of hospital tests etc doing insanity. The last 3 weeks of the 60 days im left in agony ended up in hospital because the pain was so bad. Im being referred to a rhuematologist i think they are called. Now im upset because i cant do anything that will aggrovate the shoulder and neck. So im left totally deflatted and cant be bothered and getting motivation is getting me down. I need so ideas on what to do to kick myself up the backside.

Replies

• suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic back pain and currently a sore shoulder. I do a lot of core work and lower body workouts. I need physio but am currently to busy at the gym to go. Start slow and listen to your body.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Well, no kicks. You're injured. Why kick the injured? Who would do that? I know we all do stuff like that to ourselves but do see what it looks like when there's a third party? You deserve care, not kicks.

Not really much for motivation. I think we're better served by determination.

On another WL board I participate on walking is the most popular exercise. Under considered aspect is how exercise benefits the brain. There has to be some program you can create to get moving without hurting your shoulder. Your brain won't care, just so it gets the blood pumping. Something is better than nothing. Can you lie on the floor and bicycle?

Walking also has a sort of contemplative aspect that might help if you can do it.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Pain effects my mood... Depression and motivation specifically. In turns makes my eating worse. Focus on eating healthy. Learn what makes your pain worse. I notice when I over eat it turns on the inflammatory process in my body. Everything takes to ache more. Do what exercise that doesn't bother you. If you can walk, walk.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Im really sorry. You are dealing with some pretty heavy medical diagnoses.

I find the rhythm of walking very helpful for mood and just to keep more
  • katrinamc78
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you for you comments. My problem is i dont feel like im doing a proper workout walking or yoga. I'm to harsh on myself and just want to push myself to the max. Which i shouldnt do really hense reason i had to go hospital in so much pain. I just need to slow it down. I love boxing spinning etc and its upsetting i cant really do what i love and makes me happy
  • katrinamc78
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Well, no kicks. You're injured. Why kick the injured? Who would do that? I know we all do stuff like that to ourselves but do see what it looks like when there's a third party? You deserve care, not kicks.

Not really much for motivation. I think we're better served by determination.

On another WL board I participate on walking is the most popular exercise. Under considered aspect is how exercise benefits the brain. There has to be some program you can create to get moving without hurting your shoulder. Your brain won't care, just so it gets the blood pumping. Something is better than nothing. Can you lie on the floor and bicycle?

Walking also has a sort of contemplative aspect that might help if you can do it.

Yes i can im fully mobile, which is my problem i can do it. Its just afterwards a pay for it. Think im going to have to back off and do like you mention walking etc. Just i dont feel im doing full on session, gutting really but suppose i will have to get on with it
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Lots of us have severe, painful, life-threatening illnesses. I've also got neurological, auto-immune and musculoskeletal problems--too many to list, really.

I think that you just have to get very honest with yourself about doing what you can, when you can. When you are feeling good, get things done, with no excuses. Track carefully (food and exercise) as that might reveal trends and help you figure out exactly what your limits are.

Take full advantage of any physical therapy offered to you for either condition. If nobody is suggesting PT, ask if that might be a possibility.

What about trying an entirely different exercise? I wonder if swimming or water exercise might be a good fit for what is going on with you.
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @katrinamc78 I have arthritis, chronic back pain, bad hips, fibromyalgia, etc. I have found that adjusting my diet to cut out sugar and eat very low carbs, we're talking 20 net carbs or less, has significantly reduced my inflammation. I've lost 92 lbs (first eating low carb/no sugar, then on Keto since 6/2), and haven't exercised the entire time. However, because I've been feeling so good, I have started to do some light weight lifting to strengthen my arms and shoulders, along with some time on a recumbent bike. I'm starting very slowly, yes, but it is still exercise nonetheless. :wink: Michelle
  • mrssie1223
    mrssie1223 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @katrinamc78 PS: I truly believe now that sugar is poison to our bodies. I heard Dr. Phil call it "the other white powder" once, and that is the absolute truth. Sugar is an addiction, and like any other addiction, it can be defeated. :wink: Michelle
  • katrinamc78
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your comment. I've not been on for couple of weeks as ive been dealing with my 1st ms related attack optic neuritis. Slowing recovering not been able to exercise, drive but least work have been good giving me the option to work from home so least thats a positive. Im hoping to get back to some light exercise very soon, just worried about putting pressure on myself and heat is apparently not good with this flare up. Its all new to me and a bit scary if im honest having no control over whats been going on. High strength steriod seemed to help intially but they was only for 5 days. Im trying to be positive and get back to it really soon xxx
  • livendive
    livendive Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I am having a shoulder replacement in late September, and have limited function and plenty of pain until then. I walk, run, hike/backpack, and do what I can of various body by beach videos. I'm really looking forward to not being so limited come spring of next year.