The Bra Conundrum

Options
It's a problem. One that plagues a lot of us lad MFP-ers. I call it: The Bra Conundrum.

It seems that we ladies losing weight have a more-than-average difficulty in finding bras that fit. Many of us simply don't fit into the Victoria Secret sizes. 34C? I'm sure many of us wish that were the case. Try 36Fs, 30DDs, etc.etc.

That is why I think that it's time that we helped each other out. Instead of just complaining that nothing fits -- let us know what you have that DOES fit.

This is a thread for recommending brands and specialty stores/sites where we other-than-average bust ladies can find something supportive, sexy, and fit right.

My recommendation?

Based on recent measurements:
Rib cage, 31 inches
Bust line, 38 inches

My best fit is a 32 DDDD/F, and I can also fit sister size 34 DDD/E. Good luck with that one. The only store I ever found a 34 DDD was local to Columbus, OH and closed down about a year ago. Saddest day ever! However, there is hope! While no size in Victoria's Secret fits (trust me -- I've tried) I actually had luck at (of all places) KMart. The line is Olga, and large-busted girls surely know her well. Olga is the only 36DD bra that fits me. The band runs small, which is the blessing of Olga bras. I bought 3 yesterday and, with the BOGO deal going on, they came to just around $32. That's right, for all 3. Hard to beat!

So tell us -- what are your measurements,a nd what size, brand, or store works for you?

Replies

• rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    Prior to having reduction surgery I was a H.

I use to buy most of my bras from stores in the UK since they tend to offer larger sizes most times up to even a G or an H.

http://www.bravissimo.com/
    http://www.lasenza.co.uk/bras/bras.htm
    http://www.figleaves.com/us/home.asp

Those are all sites I used in the past. Good luck! I know how much of a struggle bras can be at that size, thankfully I'm now a 38D, so it makes searching a lot less of a pain overall, but even 38D isn't always easy to find.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Rib cage: 41
    Bust line: 46

I'm a 42 DD and I just recently got new bras because of the weight loss!! A month ago I was a 44DD. :)
    But I sweat by the bras at Lane Bryant. Their new T-Shirt bras are FANTASTIC. I know the sale just recently ended, but at least twice a year they have a buy 2, get 2 free bra sale. And $60 for 4 bras is a steal. And if you have coupons, it's even less! They always offer free fittings, whether there is a sale going on or not. They will give you a fitting and then you can try on the different styles of bras they have until you find the right one. And when you do, buy it in every color and design!! :)
  • mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've honestly just given up on this issue. It makes it more frustrating in my case that one side is a D cup, and one closer to a C. And i need coverage from the bottom not the side or middle like some bra's these days. So according to my tags I am currently a 36/34 D ... I may have to go try me some Olga's!!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have not successfully bought an every day bra in so long. I've lost very little weight in that area. I've been wearing 42DD for years, and when they started getting too big, I bought a bra on clearance that was 40DD. I really think I needed 40DDD, though! At least in that brand. At least it was clearance....

I've taken to modifying my current bras for now by cutting the straps, shortening them, and re-stitching them. They're a little Frankenstein-ish, but they work. I just don't have the money to spend on bras every time I lose some weight, so I'll be waiting a while before I re-invest.

I personally like Cacique bras from Lane Bryant, and I've had success with some cute/sexy bras from Torrid as well, as long as I try them on in-store!

I couldn't even fit Victoria's Secret bras when I was a 36C in high school! My girls just popped right out. Bra shopping has always been stressful for me. Not looking forward to doing it again.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've ordered online from jcpenny.com. That's the only way to get large sizes from there. But there bras are pretty sturdy and are ok.
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    JCPenneys has great bras for those "odd" sizes. The ones where the chest circumference increases but the cup doesn't. I've seen 40B and 44B there. That is a very hard size to find/fit. Plus, they aren't all that expensive.

My problem has been finding sports bras (ones with wires for support built into the cups instead of those bandages that bind everything down and squishes them).

Why is it that they say that overweight people need to exercise and yet it's close to impossible to find anything to exercise in? I keep threatening that I'm just going to do it naked lol.

By the way, I am a 38B but I can wear 36C if I had to. Before I lost some weight, I would spend hours looking for bras for B cups. I often wound up completely frustrated. Many stores seem to assume that if you are over 40 then you must be a D cup. Uh, not all of us.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    By the way, I am a 38B but I can wear 36C if I had to. Before I lost some weight, I would spend hours looking for bras for B cups. I often wound up completely frustrated. Many stores seem to assume that if you are over 40 then you must be a D cup. Uh, not all of us.

Interesting to see a different perspective on it! I'm always facing the opposite problem -- If you're a 32-inch band, you must be an A or B. It's weird that bras are so limited considering bust size is so VARIED from women-towomen!

BTW @rankailie -- I've heard that about British stores. I watched a BBC documentary that was all about how UK women have the largest busts in the world on average. Probably why the stores are so much more accepting! Lol. I swear, most US stores run 32-36, A-D (maybe DD). Infuriating.
  • FloatingNee
    FloatingNee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Definitely checkout Cacique bras from Lane Bryant! They have great lift without making you look out of proportion which is difficult to find in larger cup sizes. The band sizes also run a little small so even though you wear a smaller band size you may still be able to fit into their sizes. The balconettes are the best for comfort and look!

Rib Cage: 34
    Bust: 42
    Cacique/LB size: 38 F

If that doesn't work check out Fredericks of Hollywood they make larger cup sizes for smaller band sizes that are good quality.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have terrible trouble on the opposite end of the spectrum. Just try finding anything in an A cup that's more than a 36" band. :grumble: If I have extrapolated correctly from the bra sizing charts, I should actually wear a 40AA. (Currently 35" underbust and 39" bust.)

Honestly I'd just go without but feel obligated to wear something to work since the social norm of the moment says that showing the shape of your nipples through your clothing is bad. And it's way too hot here to wear undershirts.

If anyone has shopping suggestions I'd love to hear them.
  • rjvt006
    rjvt006 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    cacique is the brand i like they come in the larger sizes and they are pretty also. I think lane bryant sells them but they also have a website. I oddly found them at a last year fashion type store on sale (like ross or marshals tj maxx) cant beat $3.99 :) . Alot of them look like they came from VS.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I have terrible trouble on the opposite end of the spectrum. Just try finding anything in an A cup that's more than a 36" band. :grumble: If I have extrapolated correctly from the bra sizing charts, I should actually wear a 40AA. (Currently 35" underbust and 39" bust.)

Honestly I'd just go without but feel obligated to wear something to work since the social norm of the moment says that showing the shape of your nipples through your clothing is bad. And it's way too hot here to wear undershirts.

If anyone has shopping suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Hey Tree72 -- I would recommend trying out a 36C, or there abouts. Many websites still tote adding 4-5 inches to your band measurement, but this technique is actually outdated, although most websites and lingerie stores still use this method. Truly, though, with the fit of today's bras, your best bet is USUALLY to go with the band size closest to your measurement. I would give it a shot!
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Lane Bryant bras. I'm a 38DD, and while I can find that at stores like Target, they just don't have the support I need. I like LB's balconette and demi bras, depending on what sort of top I'm wearing. I tried the T-shirt bra but it didn't work well for me (same with the plunge), and full-coverage is a little too much bra for what I need. If you go to LB, though, ask for a bra fitting. I learned a lot about how bras are supposed to fit by having a bra fitting, and finally found something that made the girls look good.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am definitely fascinated with this topic. It isn't often that you can see the other side of it. I have for the most part given up on bras. I believe the one I own is a 30 something B. In most cases, I will wear a sports bra underneath if it is too hot out. I really don't like wearing them at all, but sometimes you just want to wear white. I have almost never been able to fit my boobs into a cup without gaps or just feeling fake (push-ups). I can't go down to an A because the cups are so close together my boobs look cross-eyed. i am pretty comfortable with my free boobs but when you need a bra...

I shop at Aerie. Their prices are pretty solid and the consistency there is wonderful. If you can actually visit a store, they have what I will call cup trays that you can try out. Basically they have every one of their bra sizes (even the online only ones) and you can try them to see if your boobs fit. They have many patterns for each style. The options are cuter, less expensive, and most vast than VS.
    http://www.ae.com/aerie

For the larger ladies, I heard that Nordstrom carries some nice large sizes, but I understand their prices are rather large as well.
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    I've had to order mine from Macys and JC Penny - no one carries my size. 44I/J (I have lopsided boobies!). Lanebryant has a 44F that i can wear as a last resort, but that causes some squished TaTas!! I'm hoping that losing all this weight will make them shrink back significantly! I miss the days where I could fit into a 38D just fine! I've always had an abnormally large bust compared to my body, and once I get healthy again, i'm seriously looking into a reduction!!
  • Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Last bras I bought were Cacique from Lane Bryant (38DDD). Went to victoria's secret and was told they couldn't fit me. The ladies at Lane Bryant measured me and picked out bras based on the info I gave them. Will definitely be going back to Lane Bryant for my bras.