Restaurant menu help

Options
I have to go out for a three course dinner today, it's a family thing and can't be avoided. I have no idea what to pick from the menu, what would be the lowest cal options here?

Starters

Sweet Potato and Chili Soup

A light blend of Sweet Potato and Carrot with Red Chili

Garnished with Coriander Créme Fraiche

Moroccan Spiced Slaney Valley Irish Lamb Skewers

Tender fillet of chargrilled marinated Slaney Valley Irish Lamb with a lime and coriander dip

Organic Irish Smoked Salmon

Served with Fire roasted capers, dill aioli and Fire’s homemade brown bread

Silver Hill Confit of Duck Salad

Silver Hill Irish confit of duck leg and crispy skin, with pomegranate seeds, mango slices, raspberry dressing and mesculun leaves

Ardsallagh Goats Cheese

Wood fire baked Ardsallagh goats cheese, crusted with pistachio and pecan nuts on a focaccia crouton Pickled beets and chestnut honey

Main Courses

Hereford Prime Aged Sirloin

10oz Irish Hereford Prime Aged Rib Eye Steak ( Supplement €5)

8oz Irish Hereford Prime Aged Sirloin Steak

Irish Hereford Prime aged 8oz sirloin steak topped with tobacco onions Served with Pont Neuf chips, a micro cress salad and brandy pepper cream sauce

Lamb Tua Chatha

“Tua Chatha” Irish for the full rib chops from the Kingdom of Meath. Pan seared and oven roast, finished in rosemary butter. Accompanied by sautéed lamb’s kidney, sweet potato and turnip gratin, pea and mint crush

Irish Chicken Supreme

Roast Chicken Supreme on a Bed of Spring Onion Mash and young stem Broccoli Served with a Chorizo, Ardsallagh Goats Cheese and Spinach Tartlet with a drizzle of Chorizo Cream sauce

Monkfish

Sesame Crumbed Monkfish Scampi. Wild Rocket Leaves, Cured Fennel Bulb, Lemon and Chive Garlic Créme Fraiche. Served with Warm Quinoa, Roast Pepper, Fine Herb and Feta

Kataifi Mushrooms (V)

Mushroom and Gruyére fricasse encased in crisp Kataifi pastry, Tomato and Herb Bulgar Wheat, Parsley Purée

Desserts

Peanut Butter Parfait

A Homemade style peanut butter Ice Cream, milk chocolate cremoux, peanut crunch and banana gel

County Wexford Ice Creams and Sorbets

Wexford ice creams in a selection of wonderful flavours in a homemade brandy snap basket, With a raspberry coulis and shortbread biscuit

Passionfruit Bavarois

Set Passionfruit mousse, biscuit, dry white chocolate mousse and basil pastry cream

White Chocolate & Raspberry Cheesecake

A light cheesecake with white chocolate and raspberries on a buttered Graham Cracker base Served with a red berry coulis and raspberry sugar

Irish Cheese Board (Supplement €5)

A selection of the finest Irish cheeses served with a spiced apple & plum chutney and assorted crackers

Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you want to limit cals, I'd probably go lamb skewers, 8oz steak or chicken (ask for more salad or broccoli instead of chips/mash) and sauces on the side, and skip dessert... Sounds like a delicious menu though!
  • Raebylew
    Raebylew Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The food sounds delicious.
    If you're wanting low calorie then what livinglean said would be perfect.
    I'm also on a calorie controlled weight loss, but if it were me, I'd probably get the items that I enjoyed eating, eat maybe half? and then leave the rest, while doing my best to avoid the potato and breads.
    And for dessert, as much as I love cheesecake and mousse, sorbet is the way to go. It may contain sugar but it's probably better than any of the other items on offer. Unless you really like cheese, but then I wouldn't eat a lot of it either.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    See, places like that... diet be damned. So you bet I'd get dessert (portions are usually reasonable too).

Meal-wise, it really comes down to what you like. I'd probably go with the lamb chops with the sauce on the side.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You don't have to eat 3 courses, but I would say enjoy it, pick whatever you like and get back to the deficit the next day.

I'd go goats cheese, lamb and the peanut butter dessert!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So, what did you choose?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Log what sounds good to you in your diary. Do the calories fit your goal? Go with those choices
    Have a maintenance calorie day and don't worry so much about it.

I'd probably choose the soup, steak, and passionfruit dessert.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome....
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I could eat it all anyway...would have agreed with trying to eat half the portions of each.
    Me, personally, though...I'd have to go with the smoked salmon, the Irish sirlon steak, and passionfruit. Sounds wonderful!
  • janmaci
    janmaci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Dinner's not until tonight so will update you with how I got on later. Im thinking smoked salmon, chicken and sorbet. Sauces on the side of course!
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This menu sounds delicious. I'm hungry now. I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy the food and company.

I'd get any of the first 3 starters; I think they're all good choices, calorie-wise, but I'd limit the brown bread consumption with the salmon. The duck confit will probably be super high in calories, although that's why it tastes so divine. The cheese, nuts and honey are also a calorie bomb.

For a main course, I'd probably get the monkfish. Scampi means butter, but I'd probably try to dab that off a little. I love fish.

The steak, chops or chicken are probably your lowest calorie main courses, but the sides like chips, kidney gratin and tartlet are probably highly caloric. Avoid the mushrooms and gruyere in pastry, although taste-wise, that sounds best to me.

For dessert, I suspect the portions aren't huge. The passionfruit mousse sounds best to me. A small scoop of sorbet might be your lowest calorie option.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious.
    I'd probably go with the smoked salmon, one of the steak dinner options. I rarely have dessert but love cheesecake, so that might happen (or not; I'd decide on the spot).