New to the gym! need some help =]

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just got a gym membership for the first time EVER! yay!

I need advice on what type of exercise to do while I'm there to lose weight

I have 55 pounds to lose, I had a baby a year ago and I'm still carrying the extra weight =[

Any advice is good, I want to lose weight first then tone up later on...Thanks!

:tongue:

Replies

• AndrewTub
    AndrewTub Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Dont know if this helps

But I tend to do weights first then cardio after, I can't push hard enough on weights if I'm tired from cardio work. But i can push through cardio until i have to stop once I've got the weights done!

Damn the word cardio is now annoying
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I do about 10 minutes of cardio, just to get my heart pumping real good, then weights, then maybe a 10 minute cardio cool down and on days off from weights, I do 30 (or more) minutes of cardio. (per my trainer).
  • NannasNetty
    Options
    I do zumba at the gym, a 1 hour session can burn 850 calories, its great fun too.

I also have a weights program made out for me...ask your gym to do this for you. They will tell you what to train on, how heavy, how long for etc.
  • Hoteffinmess
    Hoteffinmess Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm the same way! I have to get my weight training out of the way first and follow with some cardio.

I have a total of 106 lbs. to lose and I'm down almost 38 lbs. Here's what I've been doing:

I alternate days at the gym on weights. One day I'll do upper body, the next day lower body, another day core (pilates, crunches, etc).

I find that alternating type of cardio helps keep me from getting bored. I've been doing the www.c25k.com program, 3 days per week. I throw in elliptical training and some biking. If your gym offers Zumba classes, I highly recommend it! HIGH CALORIE BURN!!

Make a plan and stick to it! You'll achieve your goals!!! Best of luck to you!
  • BobbiJack
    BobbiJack Posts: 1
    Options
    I can relate. I just completed a 7-day free period at Gold's Gym and will be joining later this week. I enjoyed sampling a number of the classes they offered and plan to split my time between organized classes and using the machines they offer.

Bottom Line -- Just KEEP GOING! Make yourself the priority and reap the benefits ;-)
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    cardio cardio and cardio. You dont really get into fat burning mode until about 15 or 20 mins into the work out. I would do 15-20 mins cardo 10-15 of weights and then another 15 of cardio. Thats a total of 45 mins and youve done a lot. Dont kill it the 1st time out. ease into it. Find out what your comfort zone is and take 1 step further but not to where your dying. Dont forget diet is major too! If you need help, thats why we're here!
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always do 30 min cardio and weights. I downloaded the Jetfit app on my phone, it has great routines for the weights.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hey thats fantastic! I love the gym, have been going since I was 14 and at 42 have finally started using it properly. I spent over a decade going nowhere so first bit of advice : DO NOT ACCEPT NO RESULTS. If you aren't getting results, be it getting fitter, building muscle, losing fat, talk to the trainers they are there to help.
    Build a relationship with the trainers talk to them and get them involved in your training. YOu don't need a personal trainer, they all have the same qualifications, but you do need to really use them, and make sure they will help you because otherwise what happens is you get your new programme and then just keep doing it for years doing the same thing and not getting anywhere.
    Its very very important to keep changing your programme, so that both body and mind do not get bored, so every six weeks book an appointment, have a fitness/results test and get a new programme.
    Also they can give you too much to do, if you have children and work for instance you really can only cope with 40 mins or so in a day.
    I don't think its practical for busy people to try to do cardio and weights all in the same session, it takes too long. For me I find doing weights twice a week is plenty and I try for cardio at least 2 x a week but lots of it 40-60 minutes.
    You will build muscle doing weights twice a week which is important, but will burn more fat if you do any other session cardio to burn as many calories as possible.
    Also spin classes are great for burining calories!!!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    All I ever do is head straight for the line of treadmills. I do 52 minutes, hill program, level 15 at 3.5 miles per hour. I walk 3 miles exactly, all the while reading my Kindle. It is sheer pleasure! Oh, and totally effortless. I forget the world is there.

When I go into the weight room (boy world) I always feel like everyone is watching. I know...weird. :ohwell:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Almost all gyms offer a free weight room and cardio introduction. Take them up on it. Then ask for a basic beginner's workout.
  • vongiemk
    vongiemk Posts: 1
    Options
    The first time I joined a gym they had a free session with a personal trainer. I learnt a lot from that session. Granted the goal of the free session is to eventually try and sell you on buying more personal trainer time. I bought a couple sessions after that, they were rather expensive but were worth it especially if you are thinking of doing weights, you don't want to end up hurting yourself. After that I knew how to correctly use most of the equipment and free weights and I also would follow behind someone else with a trainer as stealthy as possible :)
  • meyalee
    meyalee Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

What I really recommend is to ask one of the trainers that work there to take you around the gym and give you a few pointers. It really helps to know how to do each machine properly and what works the best for which areas. For arm weights I recommend less weight and more reps because that is going to help lose weight in your arms once your satisfied with the loss, change it to a higher weight with less reps. Then do three sets of each. My favorite work out machine is the elliptical, It really tones your legs, and there is a selection of difference programs you can do. I am currently on program 6 (weight loss). The first time you do it, it will be tough. I didn't make it through thirty mintues, before i gave up. I hope that helps Good Luck!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ask if they offer a complimentary session with one of there trainers and have them walk you through the different equipment in the gym.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I always do 30 min cardio and weights. I downloaded the Jetfit app on my phone, it has great routines for the weights.

thanks for the app tip!!! (my phone didn't have that one, but it gave me an idea to search for what mine did offer for days without the trainer)
  • bkube01
    bkube01 Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes, weights first then cardio. Build yourself a little strength routine that repeats every week. You can find lots of them on the web. Keep a log on what you are doing and how much you are lifting. Try to lift heavier each time you do a routine, aka try to set a Personal Record (PR) each session.

Monday: Legs - choose three or four leg machines. Do 3 sets of 15 reps on each machine. Eventually you'll want to start doing squats, but you'll want to have someone teach you the proper technique.

Wednesday: Push - choose three or four machines where you push the weights, like shoulder presses. Do 3 sets of 15 reps on each machine.

Friday: Pull - choose three or four machines where you pull the weights, like rows and lat pull-downs. Do 3 sets of 15 reps on each machine.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have a baseline or goal for each workout (like treadmill x minutes, elliptical x minutes) but try a little bit of everything so you can keep changing up your routine- otherwise you might get bored and stop going if you just do X machine for X minutes...
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've read that doing weights (after a short warm up) is good because your muscles aren't fatigued. Personally, I don't do it that way because I want to optimize my cardio time because I'm trying to burn as much fat as possible.

I would say experiment with both ways. One time do cardio first, then weights and then reverse. What feels good to you? I like the elliptical machine, because there's no impact and so it won't hurt your joints. If you get bored easily, try 10 on an elliptical, 10 on a treadmill and 10 on a bike. Remember, you don't want your body to get "comfortable" with any one exercise!

That said, I do 25-40 minutes of cardio and then free weights for arms and some crunches for legs, followed by sit ups (usually using a ball). Try for 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps each for the exercises and do in a cycle: biceps, shoulders, triceps, back and repeat. If you keep going in a cycle, you're still burning fat/keeping your heart going as opposed to doing 3 reps of biceps in a row with a "wait" period in between.

Make sure you stretch AFTER you exercise. It's much less necessary before so long as you warm up with light cardio. If you stretch too much before you do any real exercise, you could actually pull something. Not good. Spend at least 10 minutes at the end of your workout just stretching. It's good for bone density, strength, and it just plain feels good.:smile:
  • kezzavt
    kezzavt Posts: 13
    Options
    Absolutely the best advice is to talk to the gym about a person training session. Training sessions usually run approx. $60.00 for six 1/2 hr. sessions/depending on your gyms rates/check out packages...SO WORTH IT! Getting on track with the right regiment is key to both toning and weight loss. DO NOT under any circumstance forget that muscle weighs more then fat. If you hit the gym with gusto and are doing interval training (recommended by every trainer on earth) you will likely increase your weight before you actually see the scale drop. Use your clothes to gage. measure yourself. But you should most definately set up a personal one on one to get you started. If you get injured you'll sabotage your great beginning.
    Also recommend checking out INTERVAL TRAINING on you tube and google.
    Good for you for making a first step to good health and good luck!!
  • espieee2003
    Options
    To build muscle which helps you lose weight faster, work on the legs. They say if you have strong legs your metabolism burns more fat.
  • cmbradfield
    Options
    I love the Zumba classes. Alot of fun and you'll burn alot of calories. Plus I do cardio and weights.