To ink or not to ink....

Options
LZMiner
LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
Such a dilemma! Ihave a potential tattoo in mind, but I'm somewhat of a commitment probe and worry about buyers remorse a few years out! Anyone have ink that they really regret? Would you choose something different and are there times you choose to cover it?

Replies

• Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    I love all my tattoos and don't regret any of them..... except my first one! But that was 16 years ago and I didn't think about it at all. I just really, really wanted a tattoo so I walked in and picked something off the board. The rest of them I made sure to put some time, thought and meaning into and I'm glad I did. So, if you've thought it out for a while and feel pretty good about doing it, I say go for it! On that note, I'm getting another one next Monday :smiley:
  • dplimmer84
    dplimmer84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am covered in tattoos and yes there are some i have regretted, but the joy of having a gifted tattooist is i have had the ones i regretted covered with something that is more to my liking, if you are unsure i would say draw it on with a skin pen see how it looks im a huge believer in we only have one life so we should live it! but thats just me i love tattoos and think that body art is one of the best ways we can express ourselves
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    I only have one, and love it. I got it about 6-7 years ago, it's one of my cockatiel done from a picture of him. I lost him last summer after 25 1/2 years, so it's priceless to me. That being said, I did have the urge on and off for several years, but since it kept going away, I didn't do it until I was absolutely certain. I'm now 53, so I definitely thought about what it would look like when I was decades older. It's still going to be cool. :smiley:
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you're questioning if you'll regret it then wait.

I have 5 tattoos ready to be inked (finally) this summer. I've put serious thought into every one and they all have meaning but I've never felt like the time was right. I went back and forth about whether to go thru with them or not for years. One design I've had in mind for almost 10 years now.

I'm not saying do what I did (if anything I regret I didn't get one sooner) rather, make sure YOU feel the time is right. What you get will mean more knowing that the moment you decided, it felt like it was meant to be.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I considered it for awhile and never did it. Until I was 31. I just...set the appointment and got one in March. Then got another 3 months later. I just don't care anymore. It's just art on your body. Pick something pretty.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh, the first one I got I picked a place on my body I loved-my upper right back BUT I made sure you would only see it from the back-nothing coming up over the shoulder or out on the arm. This way I could cover it with professional wear. Now I don't care and can't wait to extend it!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have one on my back that I got when I was stupidly young and yes, I've worn clothing for years to cover it and now I'm getting it removed through laser tattoo removal.

I would recommend anyone being really sure before getting one. Honestly, I'm sort of like you. I don't know if I'd describe myself as having a phobia of commitment, but I'm definitely someone whose taste and style is always evolving. I wouldn't get another one because I know myself well enough to know now that I wouldn't like anything in a decade or two. It only took me a few years to be over this one.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos so I can't weigh in on that, I just wanted to say to make sure to check out the artist and their work, if you decide to go for it.

Edited to say you probably already know that though.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Such a dilemma! Ihave a potential tattoo in mind, but I'm somewhat of a commitment probe and worry about buyers remorse a few years out! Anyone have ink that they really regret? Would you choose something different and are there times you choose to cover it?

I don't think a few years down the road. Think decades down the road. How will that tattoo look when you're 60, 70 years old?

at 70 tattoo is the least of your worries

Not so fast my friend.....

70 used to be considered old, however with advances in medicine, health and wellness, we can go much further.

I expect to live to one thousand.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I only have one tattoo currently, I got it 9 years ago and still love it. I've always been interested in more, but its taken me until recently to find something else I want on my body permanently. I'm getting new ink on Thursday and I'm ridiculously excited.

That being said, if you have any hesitation at all, don't get it done. I waited 6 months after I had the idea to get my first one. The 2 I'm getting in a few days (one on each arm)... one I've wanted for almost 4 years, but it took me this long to find the style I want and when I found one that matches well it clicked and I made the appointment for a consult and then to get it done.

Good luck with your decision either way!
  • DaddyDunk91
    DaddyDunk91 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've not long got my first one, just under a month ago. It's something I wanted for a long time and I haven't regretted getting it done. If it's something you really wanted and you know exactly what you want and where you going to have it then I would go for it, only if your 110% sure.

It took a long time till I got the design perfect.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Dooooo ittttt
  • bufnitzoiu
    bufnitzoiu Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Be 100% sure before you go under the needle, it is for life, after all.

I have a fair few, got another 9 hour stint booked for this coming Saturday.

I suspect if you do go for it, you'll love it, and probably feel like you want more.