Hard to get the willpower

Options
Hey there 45 years old want to lose30-40 pounds. My willpower sucks but I'm trying. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Get up and do something. I'm 55 and lost 100 lb in the past year. I'd have rather cared enough to do this 10 years ago.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I heard this thing on NPR a while ago which I found really helpful.

They said that it's not will power, it's choice or decisions that we make. We just run out of the ability. You only have a limited amount of decisions you can make in a day.

And that includes the little stupid decisions too, like "shall I wear my brown pants or blue jeans today?"

So the more we can remove the unimportant decisions and make things habits or routines, the more successful we'll be.

What is one thing you can do , regarding your healthy lifestyle goal, that you can make a habit so you don't have to think about it?

I started with exercising 5 out of 7 days a week. It's only a small, 15 minute program. I can do anything for 15 minutes. After a month of success, I'll get a reward and it should be a habit!
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be easier to set really small goals. Like lose 5lbs. Or lose an inch off your waist. So it doesn't feel like you have a huge mountain to scale. Also don't starve yourself or severely restrict yourself. Think of your calories like money you get to spend everyday. Some days you're gonna spend it on pizza and other days on veges. Once it falls inside your cal deficit you're all good
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Like brushing your teeth, it is something that needs to be done. I lost 25 pounds at 55 because I started tracking my intake everyday and added some walking. Just do it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Willpower is sort of one of those hotbutton words like discipline that overweight people use to judge themselves always to come up lacking.

I've lost 100 lbs and kept it off for years. I try to keep my use of willpower to an absolute minimum. I also try to keep my character out of the mix. Weight loss is a matter of problem solving, planning and execution. I avoid making myself do things and, as much as I can, avoid "just say no" situations.

Big surprise was most of my problems were just bad habits. My life is easier with better habits.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I completely agree -- willpower is not required, it's a choice/decision. Get all the crap out of your house so you have a choice of chicken or fish versus Twinkies or Swiss Cake Rolls.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Make it as easy as possible so you don't need superhuman willpower. Keep your deficits small, increase exercise/activity slowly, and aim to enjoy the process. It may seem like getting the weight off is most important, but it's not. Developing sustainable habits so it comes off and stays off is the key.