Discouraged

Options
I have 2 auto immune disorders and I feel like I'm failing at this I want to lose the weight so bad but nothing seems to come off. Or worse I gain 5 pounds in a week. I haven't been motivated to stay on my diet all I want is sugar lately. I'm not doing anything right on here. Even if the weight didn't really drop fast as long as I looked better.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale, weigh everything you eat, measure liquids with cups and spoons, and start logging.

Don't worry about what you eat, just log.
    Don't worry about how much you are eating, just log.

Once you are in the habit of logging accurately every day start to look at where you can make changes that lower your calories to a reasonable goal (1 lbs a week?) and make your meals more nutritious.

You don't have to change what you eat, you may have to change the portion size and frequency that you eat some things so you are meeting your macros- this can take time.

Cheers, h.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Exactly what middlehaitch said, and I would add - eating sugar often leads to wanting more sugar. I have to limit the amount I eat in a day. Well, I limit all carbs because wheat and chips often get me going on the overeating as well. Same with nuts. I have to limit nuts.

The first step is learning what to eat that makes you feel good and not triggering you to eat more. For me that's lean protein and/or dairy, fats, and fruits or vegetables in every meal.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Unlikely you gained 5 lbs in a week. Agree that you can work on acquiring good habits without actually dieting. Also agree that sugar is mostly just a bad habit.

I wish they would change the name of this board and forget motivation. Motivation is what you have when you're pumped up to change and feel good. To succeed in weight loss you have to push throogh the bad times. I think it's determination that's needed. Summon it. It's in there.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. One of My BFs has RA and another autoimmune disorder with a big freaking long name I can't remember.

Autoimmune disorders suck.

She got glocoma from the RA medicine, so she has to try and control the RA with diet. Sugar is super huge on her no no list. It leads to an increased risk of a flare up. She eats super high cocoa chocolate instead. It's expensive, but it gives her some sweet while being non-inflammatory.

Maybe you could have some sweet fruits instead, like strawberries.
  • lisarenee127
    lisarenee127 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I track and weight food, use to be on weight watchers. I'm gluten free and find o don't eat often, which I know isn't good either. When I do eat I'm hungry and make bad choices. I have a hard time force feeding when I'm not hungry or it doesn't sound good and nothing does. Fighting my own personal demons nd depression anxiety meds make it hard to lose and thyroid and the more I get upset when it doesn't come off. I'm planning on strict gym schedule starting Monday. Doing classes for awhile to old myself accountable