Always leaning to one side when standing

Options
I seem to always lean on my right side whenever I stand up. I've been making a conscience effort to evenly distribute my weight whenever standing but I always find myself leaning. Its starting to affect my squats now and I don't know how to really correct this. Any advice would be much appreciated

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My son was just diagnosed with one leg being shorter than the other. He was diagnosed by a podiatrist. He kind of tilts too. Just a thought.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My right leg is shorter. I found out when being fitted for uniforms in basic training.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That could well be a possibility. I'll try to have that checked out. Thanks for the quick responses!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    are you just leaning, or do you have a skeletal issue? If you are just leaning, then you need to focus on not leaning. Squatting is more than just going through the motions, it takes a huge amount of focus to do it right.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used to lean to one side too. I learned that when I was using the Wii Fit to exercise. The balance board told me I always leaned to the right. It also helped me correct it. But when I got it right I ended up with bad sciatica for a few weeks. Like my whole body shifted and had to readjust. I think everyone has a naturally stronger side and that's where we tend to lean.
  • Pringle76
    Pringle76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe a built up shoe!!
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues so I'm always a vagueish bit lopsided but it's nothing that affects my walks.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had one leg shorter at one point due to a back injury that my chiro was able to sort out for me. You could definitely look into seeing a doc or chiro to see if it's a possibility.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I require both a chiropractor and a kinesiologist to keep me in alignment. I have bad arches in my feet which lead to imbalance which has caused scoliosis. I've got orthotics in my shoes which help a ton, plus get adjusted every couple weeks to keep me from leaning.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I seem to always lean on my right side whenever I stand up. I've been making a conscience effort to evenly distribute my weight whenever standing but I always find myself leaning. Its starting to affect my squats now and I don't know how to really correct this. Any advice would be much appreciated

Have you had your hearing checked recently? I lean to one side because of hearing loss in my right ear (and subsequent balance problems).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i had a pelvic 'rotation' this year that really messed with my squats. come to find out, when one side of your pelvis is out of alignment and the sacrum gets jammed with the ilium, ain't nothing that you can do right because the bones have to work out a way to go around each other instead of just gliding 'past'.

chiro did the first, major fix, but he warned me it's the kind of thing that tends to recur in people who are already prone to it. i do a lot of 'pelvic reset' stuff on my own (plant feet at various angles to one another and pull towards each other] and that seems to help quite a lot. you get this tiny painless little 'pop!' sensation from the pubic symphosis, and afaik it's only a millimetre or two of adjustment but it does seem like i've been okay so far.

ymmv and be very careful and not diagnosing or instructing you over the internet and all that stuff, of course.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Are you actually leaning, or do you find yourself in kind of a resting pose where you shift your weight to one leg and drop the opposite hip? If I remember correctly, I had a professor years ago who called it 'resting on your ligaments' and that it doesn't take as much muscle activation as keeping your pelvis level

I do that all the time, but don't favor one side over the other so it never led to any imbalances. If that's what you mean, then it's just a matter of being aware and actively keeping your pelvis level and spine neutral. It's going to be tiring at first because those muscles won't be used to working in that way/as much.
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    blopmiyers wrote: »

Have you had your hearing checked recently? I lean to one side because of hearing loss in my right ear (and subsequent balance problems).

I had quite a wax build up in both ears about a year ago. It could've possibly made an appearance again. I'll book an appointment with my doctor to try and sort out this balance issue.
  • blopmiyers
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    Are you actually leaning, or do you find yourself in kind of a resting pose where you shift your weight to one leg and drop the opposite hip? If I remember correctly, I had a professor years ago who called it 'resting on your ligaments' and that it doesn't take as much muscle activation as keeping your pelvis level

I do that all the time, but don't favor one side over the other so it never led to any imbalances. If that's what you mean, then it's just a matter of being aware and actively keeping your pelvis level and spine neutral. It's going to be tiring at first because those muscles won't be used to working in that way/as much.

More so in that resting pose, though I find it difficult to do it on the left side. I may have built an imbalance. I've been making more of an effort to stay balanced, raising my chest seemed to have helped a bit. At the moment, being straight feels like most of my weight is on my left side which is probably due to my right leg being used to being leaned on