Ugh this stupid food scale! What is the issue?

Options
So I got my food scale cool! I tried to make turkey burgers tonight, I weighed the raw meat then made the patty. Once the meat was finished I weighted again just to make sure.( I cleaned the scale of course) but the weight was wayyyyyyyh less than before. So do I go by the weight before I cook or after?

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You weigh it raw. Of course it's going to be much lighter, when you cook things, water evaporates out, fat cooks out, etc. OR you can cook it, weigh it and find the appropriate entry for cooked ground turkey. You don't weigh it twice. Pick one and do one.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Weigh raw/dry. It's more accurate as cooking variables can change the end weight massively.

(perhaps consider weighing on a plate/bowl or in a container... It'll save you needing to clean your scale so often)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw, since different cooking methods change the amount of water in the meat, like boiling vs roasting. The only time I use the cooked measurement is when I make something really fatty like bacon and don't use the fat that cooks off in the recipe.
  • datbrittish
    datbrittish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weigh raw/dry. It's more accurate as cooking variables can change the end weight massively.

(perhaps consider weighing on a plate/bowl or in a container... It'll save you needing to clean your scale so often)

That's that's a great idea, I was just saying it's a lot to keep washing the scale.

So how do I weight meats like ground turkey dry?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You put a plate on your scale, zero it, put the turkey on the plate, read the weight. That is the weight of the turkey. And they don't mean "dry" they mean raw.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

That's that's a great idea, I was just saying it's a lot to keep washing the scale.

So how do I weight meats like ground turkey dry?

By dry I was referring to things like rice, oats and pasta.

I often weigh out of containers/jars - put the container or jar of whatever you're eating on the scale, tare it, take out what you want. The negative number is the amount of food you've removed. Great for peanut butter - if you weigh on to something, you end up with excess on the spoon or knife that usually ends up in your mouth (as extra calories). If you weigh out of the jar, whatever is on the knife is logged.
  • datbrittish
    datbrittish Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    You put a plate on your scale, zero it, put the turkey on the plate, read the weight. That is the weight of the turkey. And they don't mean "dry" they mean raw.

Ohhhhh okay. Slow moment! I will do this from now on.