High calorie low fat food

Options
dalerst
dalerst Posts: 174 Member
I'm after some ideas on high calorie but low fat foods get get my intake up without going way over on my fat macros. My current fats are set to 30% so 100g per day but to get to my calorie intake 3200 per day it's going way over that at the minute.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    High calorie foods are more often than not also high in fat (by definition), but you could go for lower moisture content to have more calories per gram. Something like low fat cookies and baked goods, dry kinds of candy like honeycomb, apple and and banana chips, dried fruits, jerky, roasted chickpeas and peas ..etc. Going all the way to liquid is also another option because they don't linger too long in the stomach, so lots of juices and drinking calories would be appropriate.

Personally, I would not worry too much about going over fat as long as you have your protein in check.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits are calorie dense. I like dried apples, apricots, mangoes. You could look for ones that have added sugar for an additional calorie boost. Or you could buy pixie sticks.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Carbs.... pasta, rice, fruit, candy (if you don't care where the calories come from), bread. Higher fat isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as its not all saturated and trans fats. What are you eating thats higher fat. I follow a 3000 TDEE and have a hard time getting my fat over the 25% range, about 75-80 gm per day. I have had to consciously add in higher fats foods like peanut butter and full fat dairy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Grains, fruit, lean meat and fish; sugar is carbs. But why? Who set your macros, and why? 30% is not high fat. If eating more fat is natural for you, and you've already hit your other nutrients, why not just eat what you like.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    quinoa, oat meal/oat bran, beans/lentils, potatoes, whole wheat pasta, brown rice. all high in carbs and fiber and low in fats and sugar.
  • dalerst
    Options
    Thanks for the replays. I'm trying to lean bulk hence the pretty low fat target. I will look at dried fruits. Already eat plenty of pasta and rice to get my calories up.
  • dalerst
    Options
    Grains, fruit, lean meat and fish; sugar is carbs. But why? Who set your macros, and why? 30% is not high fat. If eating more fat is natural for you, and you've already hit your other nutrients, why not just eat what you like.

My macros is set as per the information I've been reading on the app and the internet on my current weight which is 162lb ish.

2g per 1lb carbs = 326g
    .6 per 1lb fats = 100g
    1g per 1lb protein =162g
  • Vince294
    Vince294 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there ;)

I'm following the 80/10/10 diet. I'm doing heavy endurance workout - so it's all about carbs for me. With an intake of 3000kcal+ per day, my fat intake is between 30-37g MAX per day.
    It took me some time time to get there, but if you're into it after a while it's pretty easy.

My breakfast starts with around 60-80g of oats. I add a ton of fruit (banana, apple, strawberry, raspberry, peach...) and around 50g of dried fruits like cranberry and raisins and dates. Than i add either 0,3% Skim milk or coconut water and some 0,1% skim yoghurt or almond-based yoghurt.
    This brings my breakfast to around 8g of fat.

For dinner i often prepare myself some whole grain noodles or rice. I fry some veggie (without oil in a non-stick pan) and add some sauce based on Tomatoe or Mango relish. As a desert i eat a lot of fruit again plus some sorbet maybe. Also beans and lentils are great!

For Lunch i eat fruit, rice wafers and crispbread with jelly, marmalade, honey. And i blend myself a smoothie...

Cheers ;)
    Vince
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    dalerst wrote: »
    Thanks for the replays. I'm trying to lean bulk hence the pretty low fat target. I will look at dried fruits. Already eat plenty of pasta and rice to get my calories up.

Fat doesn't make you fat.
    Eat at a small surplus. Lift heavy things. Get plenty of protein. Take rest days. Repeat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Eat at a small surplus. Lift heavy things. Get plenty of protein. Take rest days. Repeat.

This! In terms of diet, it's the size of your surplus that'll determine how much fat you put on whilst bulking, not the types of food you eat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

This! In terms of diet, it's the size of your surplus that'll determine how much fat you put on whilst bulking, not the types of food you eat.

This. And to add, going too low fat can impair body function including hormones (testosterone among others which are important, especially when bulking).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

This. And to add, going too low fat can impair body function including hormones (testosterone among others which are important, especially when bulking).

.6 grams of fat x lbs total body weight is not too low.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    OP if bulking is your goal I would make a slight adjustment to your macros.

16 - 18 cals x height in cm is a good jumping off point for a bulk IMO.

Macros
    .8 x lbs total bofy weight.
    .35 - .45 grams fat x lbs total body weight.
    Fill in the rest with carbs and try to get 15 grams of fiber per 1000 cals.

That said, your macros look good to me.

Focus on being in a slight surplus and focus on your training.

IMO, too much emphasis is put on the diet and not enough on training...

Best of luck!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Thanks I missed that! I just saw the part where he mentioned he was aiming for a low fat target
  • J72FIT
    edited June 2017
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Thanks I missed that! I just saw the part where he mentioned he was aiming for a low fat target

Yeah, I took it as he wanted to add calories for his bulk but not any more fat then he was already consuming...
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Vodka! ;)