Does anybody know why I'm told to increase sodium intake ?

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It is now known that the old mantra of not exceeding 2300 mg of sodium (or 1 teaspoon of table salt) per day is not ideal for most people. Most need 3000-5000 mg per day for optimal health. The need for low salt in the average diet is now being recognized as a mistake.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sodium is used throughout our bodies for many different things. It's not just about blood pressure. Too little sodium is much worse than too much!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    A specific salt, unrefined, "sea salt" in small amounts should help. Also, include this intake in your macros / "vitamins" or something so that you can keep track of it. Also, get yourself educated on the triumvirate of essential electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) which should be kept in balance and in a specific ratio. Gatorade is not the optimal way to do it. Some people "stack" their own by buying them separately (magnesium citrate / potassium citrate being the most available forms) when added to a good unrefined salt should do the trick and keep you balanced.

Sea salt has no advantages over regular table salt. The trace minerals in it are so minuscule that you need to eat 2 cups a day to get any benefit from it . . . and 2 cups of salt a day will kill you.

Some unprocessed sea salts DO have a little flavor and some have texture (my favorite is Malden flakes) that makes them a great seasoning. They just are not any healthier than any other salt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We also still have no reason to believe that OP has been advised to increase her salt by anyone reputable.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    A specific salt, unrefined, "sea salt" in small amounts should help. Also, include this intake in your macros / "vitamins" or something so that you can keep track of it. Also, get yourself educated on the triumvirate of essential electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium) which should be kept in balance and in a specific ratio. Gatorade is not the optimal way to do it. Some people "stack" their own by buying them separately (magnesium citrate / potassium citrate being the most available forms) when added to a good unrefined salt should do the trick and keep you balanced.

salt is still salt. doesnt matter if its regular table salt or sea salt. the only difference is most table salt has iodine in it(not all do) and supposedly sea salt has more minerals but the jury is still out on that one
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    We also still have no reason to believe that OP has been advised to increase her salt by anyone reputable.

FYI, since it was an easy post to miss:
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    told by your doctor or told by your internet friend? Are you getting an unusually high amount of potassium in your diet by chance?

I do eat alot banana's --- and ended up cutting out salt intake. Salty foods became my food addiction. What do you recomend I do> Do you know? Just asking I'm a bananaaholic

Are you being told by a doctor?

If you are eating high potassium and not getting enough salt, your electrolytes are out of balance. Not enough sodium is a bad thing. If this is indeed coming from the doctor, eat more salty things...salt your food, etc...don't go out of your way to avoid it.

I was told by my dr's test results that they sent.

So, reputable, but then the Dr ought to have a recommendation for how much of an increase is reasonable based on the results, yes? Are we talking add a pinch or two of salt per meal, or what?

Also, the Dr ought to be able to give a rationale for why. There shouldn't be a need to ask us.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Sea salt has no advantages over regular table salt. The trace minerals in it are so minuscule that you need to eat 2 cups a day to get any benefit from it . . . and 2 cups of salt a day will kill you.

Some unprocessed sea salts DO have a little flavor and some have texture (my favorite is Malden flakes) that makes them a great seasoning. They just are not any healthier than any other salt.

unless you buy non-iodized table salt, then sea salt is different because of the iodine in it - it has enough amounts in it that when I have to do low iodine for medical issues, I can't use sea salt at all
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

unless you buy non-iodized table salt, then sea salt is different because of the iodine in it - it has enough amounts in it that when I have to do low iodine for medical issues, I can't use sea salt at all

That is not true. The iodine in sea salt is negligible which is why you would need to eat 2 cups in order to get even close to the RDA of 150mcg. Same thing with the other trace minerals. You get more iodine from eggs than you do from sea salt.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is there any point in buying iodised salt? We have a choice here (Australia) between regular table salt and Iodised salt.
    rpiiud4f10dp.jpgo8i3l27sh9mj.jpg

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Is there any point in buying iodised salt? We have a choice here (Australia) between regular table salt and Iodised salt.

The point would be to avoid an iodine deficiency, which can cause thyroid problems. In the past this was such a serious problem that many countries have adopted laws or public health policies requiring or advising the addition of iodine to salt sold for human consumption, as an easy, cheap way to address a wide-scale public health problem.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a good page explaining why we have iodized salt in the US. It goes back to World War I when a lot of recruits from areas with little iodine in the soil had goiters, making finding healthy troops a problem. Nowadays, with our food coming from many sources and a balanced diet, iodine deficiencies are less common. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509517/
  • eileenmccaskey
    eileenmccaskey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone with extremely low blood pressure ( pass out a couple times a week from it). Doctors recommend more cardio to get heartbeat up. My salt intake is already through the roof so they didn't want me to increase it. There is not much out there that they can do medically for it, hope you have better luck treating it then I did.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that a few years ago because I had low blood pressure.

That's why my doctor tells me to both drink coffee and eat more salt. I don't eat more salt though, because I am also allergic to iodine, which we add to table salt and is naturally occurring in sea salt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I nearly fainted ten days ago and finally got around to asking my (doctor) sister about it. Her opinion, low blood pressure from low salt. I had extra exertion the day previous and I just hadn't replenished as I should have. Lesson learned.
  • earlnabby
    edited June 2017
    Options

Back in the day fresh ocean fish and salt water seafood was a rarity for anyone not living on a coast so iodine deficiency was common. Some smart person decided that fortifying salt with iodine was an excellent way to make sure people get their iodine (like fortifying milk with Vitamin D). These days, most people get enough iodine in their diets without needing it in salt. Some may still need it if they don't eat seafood or eat out at all (most restaurants will used iodized salt) but it is not necessary for the majority.
  • earlnabby
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My doctor told me that a few years ago because I had low blood pressure.

That's why my doctor tells me to both drink coffee and eat more salt. I don't eat more salt though, because I am also allergic to iodine, which we add to table salt and is naturally occurring in sea salt.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that there is iodine in sea salt. The reality is that the amount in sea salt is the same as the amount in non-iodized table salt: almost none. Obviously, you know if any amount triggers your allergy but keep in mind that there is non-iodized salt available: non iodized table salt, sea salt (although some companies add iodine to this too), pickling salt, and kosher salt all have almost no iodine.

Point of interest: ALL salt is sea salt. The only difference is if it is from recently evaporated sea water or ancient dried-up sea beds. One of the biggest salt domes in the world is under Avery Island, where Tabasco sauce is from.
  • Rubysue17
    Rubysue17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have high BP, so I have to be mindful of my sodium intake. A woman I work with has low BP and she was told by her doctor to eat more salt. She eats salt like crazy! There is so much "hidden" sodium in foods, I do not usually add salt to my food anymore, once in a while I do. I figure if I have a "taste" for it, I must be needing it. If you do not have low blood pressure or were not told by a phycican to increase it, I would just make sure to get around the recommended amount.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

FYI, since it was an easy post to miss:
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    told by your doctor or told by your internet friend? Are you getting an unusually high amount of potassium in your diet by chance?

I do eat alot banana's --- and ended up cutting out salt intake. Salty foods became my food addiction. What do you recomend I do> Do you know? Just asking I'm a bananaaholic

Are you being told by a doctor?

If you are eating high potassium and not getting enough salt, your electrolytes are out of balance. Not enough sodium is a bad thing. If this is indeed coming from the doctor, eat more salty things...salt your food, etc...don't go out of your way to avoid it.

I was told by my dr's test results that they sent.

So, reputable, but then the Dr ought to have a recommendation for how much of an increase is reasonable based on the results, yes? Are we talking add a pinch or two of salt per meal, or what?

Also, the Dr ought to be able to give a rationale for why. There shouldn't be a need to ask us.

Ah, thanks. Totally missed that, and I agree -- then the person to ask, including for why and how much, is the doctor. There are a variety of medical reasons it could be.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi mfp friends,

Does anybody know why I'm told to increase sodium intake ? I have a few answers . I thought I'd ask again. Is anybody here have the same problem ? I have been told mostly it's low
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It is now known that the old mantra of not exceeding 2300 mg of sodium (or 1 teaspoon of table salt) per day is not ideal for most people. Most need 3000-5000 mg per day for optimal health. The need for low salt in the average diet is now being recognized as a mistake.

Damn. I was caring for one patient and after taking his vitals I told him his BP was pretty low and his HR was high. Then he told me "they said too much salt was bad for me". He wasnt that old around mid 60s. He succumbed to complications later that week. Low sodium is killer!
  • 1958lysmith
    1958lysmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been told by doctors with several medical issues,too low sodium can cause seizures,heart attack.I have enough knowledge on electrolytes that too much water can effect electrolytes which are very imporant to watch.My sodium has gone too low where I have experienced extreme fatique and close to passing out.Need to make sure you are balancing water esp.when you excercise.Your body csn deplete sodium too much.