Confusion.. Getting mixed messages about calories

2»

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,220 Member
    I think your doctor said you'll gain weight on MFP calories because they assume you won't weigh your food carefully and will underestimate your intake thus eating much more.

But you will weigh everything you put into your mouth with a digital scale and log it carefully in grams using the correct entries. So you can safely use MFP to lose like most of us do.
  • Lisa8179
    Lisa8179 Posts: 21 Member
    I didn't read all the replies (on a small phone) .. my highest weight was 312, I averaged around 3500 Cal's a day +- , I started doing 2500 then 2000 Cal's a day, right now I am maintaining 260 +- , but that's cause of personal family stress (wrecks, hospital stays etc) .. I still lose weight when eating around 1800-2000 Cal's a day .. I would suggest 1 week simply log all foods you eat, then you can see your average Cal's and adjust from there, that's what I did .. feel free to friend me
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    MFP has worked for thousands of people. Trust it. Set your goal to #1 pound a week and go from there.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    OP, I was an all or nothing person too. I had to realize that, that all or nothing mentality was part of the reason I was failing. I also wanted to lose the weight as fast as possible and I just had to accept that losing the weight was going to take time.

My advice? Weigh your solid foods with a food scale and measure your liquids. Log everything you eat honestly. Double check database entries because they aren't always correct. Don't sweat the little stuff (the day you went over your calories, the day you didn't drink enough water, the day you didn't exercise) look at the big picture. If you are consistent, you will lose the weight and keep it off.

Start by making small changes. I started out with a goal of just losing a pound a week. I knew I couldn't do 1.5 lbs a week starting off. It would've been too drastic of a change for me and I wouldn't have stuck to it. Later I did up my goal to 1.5 lbs a week once I got in a good routine.

Eat foods you like. I don't like all vegetables or all fruits, but there are ones I like and those are the ones I focused on including in my diet as much as possible. I also tried a bunch of different fruits and veggies a bunch of different ways to find out what exactly I did like. When you are eating food you like it isn't such a struggle.

Make it as convenient as possible. A lot of us here meal plan and it makes things easier. Usually on Sundays I plan out what I'm going to eat all week and I go to the grocery store and purchase the stuff I need for the upcoming week. If it helps you try meal prepping. Essentially, you prepare your meals for the week in advance so you don't have to worry about time constraints. I don't always meal prep, but I find having veggies and fruit prewashed and cut for snacks helps a lot with mindless snacking.

Foods I know I can't control myself around I don't buy or keep in my house. If I want one of those foods I will be a single serving or eat them elsewhere. For example, I can't control myself around chocolate so when I can fit chocolate in I will buy a single candy bar. Don't have to worry about overeating because I don't have anymore. When I want ice cream and can fit it in I go to the ice cream shop and have a scoop. When it's gone, it's gone and I'm home so I don't have anymore.

I don't tell myself no. If I want a certain food I will allow myself to have it just not always that day. Maybe I already cooked or I can't make it fit into my calories so I'll work in it a few days later or whenever I have some extra calories. It's much easier I've found to tell myself not today versus not ever.

Lastly, weight loss isn't linear. Don't get upset or frustrated when the scale doesn't move or even moves in the wrong direction. Fluctuations are normal and sometimes we all have a bad day, week, or month...just keep going.

You can do this.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    "The very simple act of logging all your food makes the magic happen in your head as you mindfully consider food in ways you never had before, and you make choices to change that you are comfortable with."

Well said, @JeromeBarry1
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    I would try for the 1200-1500 Cal per day but not stress if you choose to go up to 1800 on a day. Just make sure you log as accurately as possible. That way you will not feel too restricted and will still lose although maybe not 2 lb a week. It didn't get put on in a week, it won't come off in a week. Try to offset some of the additional calories with exercise, maybe start off by walking.
  • joyfulsoul81
    joyfulsoul81 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    My doctor gave me the 800-1200 guidelines for no other reason than that's what they put people on who are part of their packaged meal weight loss program at their office.

As for any health conditions warranting such a rapid loss.. there aren't any. I've often surprised my own doctors by how "normal" everything always is. No high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes, etc.. nothing like that whatesoever.

I have pain from being so overweight for so long, but aside from that, I have no other issues from my weight. That being said, I'm also well aware that all of that could change any time. That's a big factor in my wanting to get control of my weight and my health.

I've struggled with trying to get in the mindset to do this in a healthy way, taking it slower and making sustainable changes. I'm not looking for anyone to validate what my doctor said for me to do. I tried that, and it was definitely NOT the right way to go. I know that's not the answer. I guess what I really needed more than anything, was to express where I am, and to remember that I am definitely not alone in this.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to do my best to stick to the calorie goals MFP sets for me, taking it slowly at 1.5 per week. At that rate, even if I choose to lower it to 1 per week down the line, I'm looking at about 2-2 1/2 years to get this off, and that's okay. I don't just want to lose this weight.. I want to finally get this right! Not perfection, just healthier and more realistic changes. I can do it, and I thank you all for helping to remind me of that!

I've struggled for so long, with all of this. I've allowed myself to be in my own head way too much. I've set unreachable goals for myself, time and time again. And now, it's time to do this for me, in a way that works!

Anyone who wishes to add me, is more than welcome to! :)

I have restarted this morning with healthier goals, and made this new account.. to sort of be a "fresh start" with it all. As I said yesterday, feel free to add me!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I am so confused about what guidelines to go by.

I get why it's confusing, but believe me when I say that you're overthinking this incredibly easy process.

Here's all you need to do:

Pick a number. Eat the much. Adjust every 3-4 weeks as needed. Within 3 months you'll know precisely what your number is and you'll be well on your way to your goal.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    A new perspective might be in order. You want to lose quickly, but by trying to lose quickly you end up prolonging the time it takes to reach your goal by regaining.

Your doctor has no idea how calories work. There is no way you will gain on 1600 calories. I started where you started and the only consecutive weeks where my calories did not average to more than 1600 a day were weeks when I was entirely bedridden and I didn't gain.

Last month I lost exactly as planned, and this is what my calories and weight looked like (weight is in kilograms). You will see quite a few days over 1600 calories and I did not gain. My average daily deficit was 600 calories.

2x552hv4er24.png