Healthy Snacks

Options
So im fed up of eatting unhealthy and seem to snack on bags of crisps. What healthy snacks do you have? Was thinking of making rolled oat flapjacks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,047 Member
    Options
    Snacks...hummus and vegetables, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whole wheat bread w/ peanut butter...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fruit, boiled eggs, cheese, peanut butter, beef jerky, popcorn...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Anything you can eat for a meal you can eat as a snack. Snacking is optional too. I prefer to not snack.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Anything you can eat for a meal you can eat as a snack. Snacking is optional too. I prefer to not snack.

This!
    Why not just eat enough at meal time and forget "snacks". If you are getting high satiety foods with adequate protein, you shouldn't feel hungry every couple of hours.

I don't want to think about food that often. I do IF and typically only eat 2 satisfying meals per day plus an after dinner treat of fruit or ice cream. Works fine for me. YMMV
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to mindlessly eat chips until the bag is gone. No need to give them up, just count out your serving size, put in a bowl and enjoy. (Do not go back for seconds!) Don't forget to log the calories as part of your intake.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    fruit
    raw veggies with guacamole, hummus or tzatziki
    cherry tomatoes!
    nuts (weighed; they are calorie dense)
    cheese
    rye crackers with cream cheese
    turkey pepperoni
    dark chocolate
    salsa with tortilla chips (phrased that way round because I have a lot of salsa and not a lot of chips)
    Greek yogurt
  • ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Pickled gherkin, rice cake topped with cream cheese and beetroot, strawberry mousse made with 0%Greek yoghurt and sugar free strawberry jelly,
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like plantain chips, soy nuts, quest protein chips (cheddar), hard boiled eggs, cheese, nuts, kind pressed fruit bars, other bars ....
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles are tasty, cheap, low calorie. Watermelon is filling, sweet, somewhat messy, fun, and actually fairly low calorie for the filling bulk you get from it. Jicama, a central American root of a poisonous plant, is crunchy, sweet, very filling. I imagine that spears of jicama in ice would be a great snack.

Finding a snack to replace the products of Frito-Lay is a challenge. Perhaps you will do better if you plan better meals and need no snacks at all?
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Homemade Kale chips sprinkled with paremasan cheese, plain Greek yogurt with crushed gramhn cracker, peanut butter & drizzled with honey is great for sweet tooth. Grapefruits, banana with peanut butter. If u drink coffee, putting coconut oil in it in the morning will keep u full because of the fat, where u won't need a snack til late afternoon. If u must have chips, maybe just try the 100 calorie bags
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, nuts, string cheese..

I like
    Wasa crackers with laughing cow
    Apple with sliced Parmesan
    Hummus and carrots
    Pretzels (no salt) and cream cheese (pineapple)
    Celery and peanut butter
    Cottage cheese, applesauce, cinnamon
    Toast with peanut butter and banana
    Greek yogurt and granola
    V8 low sodium
    Coconut water
    Frozen grapes and cheese
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I do fruit with cheese in the afternoons on work days. Just enough tide me over from lunch (11:30) until dinner (6:00ish).
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (seems popular here!)
    Carrots
    Egg
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to snack on a lot of crisps and popcorn too. I found eating raw almonds as a snack satisfies the textural part of snacking and is full of healthy fats and protein. Celery or carrot sticks with humus or peanut/almond butter helps with the crunchy as well! Or homemade granola :)
  • lgill1127
    lgill1127 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My favorite savory snacks are: Crunchmaster Sea Salt Crackers (7 crackers) with one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, a jalapeno string cheese with 3 oz baby carrots, 2 cups sea salt popcorn, or a piece of toast with goat cheese and 2 oz deli turkey.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Repackage the chips in to single serving or 100 calorie portions. Then it's not mindless eating any more but purposeful eating.

I find by habit I get to "know" how much a bag of chips is, or two cookies, or whatever my habitual snack is. If I routinely change my portion size to something more reasonable, I get used to the new portion and don't feel deprived.

Compare the calorie load on your rolled oat flapjacks. I bet they are not much different than the bag of chips.

Except its a whole lot easier to eat bag after bag of chips.....
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you want to wean yourself off of salty junk food, start eating raw celery/carrots/radishes/whatever veggies you want and dipping the end in salt. It'll give you your salt/crunch fix without the extra calories. You can wean yourself off the salt gradually over a couple of days until you no longer miss it.

My favorite snack...cottage cheese straight up. I don't even care that it's healthy. I've loved the stuff since I was a kid.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like carrots or thinly sliced cucumbers with ranch or Zesty Italian dressing, apples with vanilla Greek yogurt, 100 cal bags of popcorn, frozen dark sweet cherries (my fav for late night sweet tooth...they're delicious and you have to take your time with them because they're frozen)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You might try not snacking altogether. I'm not saying it is a bad thing or anything but I found it to be working very well for me considering in the past I only snacked all day instead of eating peoper meals.

I think it comes to training your organism to get used to being hungry at specific times. It's been going very nicely for me. It's been 18 months and I don't ever need a snack now. This saves me calories for better desserts at dinner. (Again, it is just a suggestion, not saying snacking is bad.)

P.S. Flapjacks are sadly very high in calories.