Not Losing It

Options
I have been exercising 5 days a week since June, and the weight is just not coming off. i am tracking my calories for the most part and staying in my allowance, but still the numbers on the scale aren't budging. I guess I feel a little stronger and I can run farther than I could when I started, but I am feeling very discouraged. :cry: Any words of wisdom???

Replies

• angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you netting a day?
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Mix it up a bit. Try a new exercise, switch up your foods.....just keep going! Also, invest in a food scale if possible, you may be overestimating what your actual intake is. Just keep going! :bigsmile:
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements, you could be losing inches! Also it can take a good solid six to eight weeks to notice a difference. Also, how long are you exercising for? How many calories do you eat a day (average)?
    Remember it's also about a life style change. It can be discouraging, but if you feel better and are active, you live longer!
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    How many calories are you netting a day?

This......
  • vicky_unni
    vicky_unni Posts: 24
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am going through the exact same thing. But I have to keep telling myself that muscle weighs more than fat so you will see a little increase or stand still before I start shedding the pounds. Keep up the good work.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I started exercising again after 3 years of doing almost nothing. I started back with a cardio program that I LOVE (can you guess it :D) but I wasn't losing weight....felt much better, energy increased, but the weight just wasn't coming off, nor was I getting any smaller. Then I started TONING!!!! That did the trick for me. I needed to build some muscle back up to burn the fat faster....so I am wondering if that would work for you too. I don't know your routine, but perhaps add some (or some more) muscle building exercise.
  • mbowser1024
    mbowser1024 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! The support on here is amazing! I am netting anywhere from 245 - 300 calories each day which brings my total up to about 1500 per day which honestly, is hard for me to eat. I mostly eat fruits and veggies since I tend to not eat meat. As for exercise, I either walk/jog or use the elliptical for a minimum of 50 minutes 5 days a week.
  • Cat687
    Cat687 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I've been using my fitness pal and been tracking all the food I have been consuming and generally staying within my calorie allowance for several weeks now and I haven't seen anything budge. I'm growing very frustrated but not willing to succumb and budge back to bad eating habbits.

I am limited to certain physical activities as both of my knees were injured from a sports injury. Nothing so severe, but if I over exert, its very difficult to move around the next few days. I've just been trying to integrate spurts of walking into my daily activity each day (at least 30 min)

Anybody else has any other ideas aside from elliptical, biking, or swimming that would help in adding more physical activity?
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned.

So lets say you are supposed to be eating 1200 cals a day and you burn 300, if you only eat 1200, your net is really 900.

My advice (without having all of the specifics of your situation) is to eat whatever mfp has told you and make sure you eat back your exercise calories (which you might be doing since you said you eat 1500 a day) Make sure you get down to 0 calories left in your allowance (or as close as you can get to it.)

Incorporate strength training every other day. Alternate between strength training and cardio (such as your elliptical)

Make sure you are eating enough protein. Protein is very important if you want to build muscle. The more muscle you have, the more fat you will burn. I don't know if you like fish, but that would be an alternative to red meat - it's high in protein. Chobani yogurts have 14g of protein, cheese, eggs, nuts. (Nuts tend to be high in calories)

You should try to eat 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats.
  • amwSweetthang
    amwSweetthang Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stay encouraged and go by how your clothes are feeling and how you feel. The results will begin to show on the scale. You can do it!:smile:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% what you eat and 10% exercise. Log everything you eat, including (and especially) condiments, they pile on the calories quick. Log CONSISTENTLY. A major binge once a week can throw off your average. In addition to not eating TOO MUCH, don't eat TOO LITTLE. Do not go below 1200 calories a day. Your body will not be happy and you'll be more likely to binge.

Good Luck!