Protein Shakes

Options
Being a female one of my fears is having too much muscle and looking like a female version of the hulk. A friend recommended for me to start drinking protein shakes to help with my weight loss. I know nothing about protein shakes and would really like some advice and/or suggestions.

EDIT: Wow! Thank you all so much for all your input. Your comments and suggestions are very helpful. Now it's time for me to find a protein shake I like! MFP people are the greatest!

Replies

• JacqueBackhus
    Options
    I'm doing the Body By Vi shakes and LOVE them! I'm losing weight and inches. They have alot of protein in them as well.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 2 a day.. I love them. This is a very personal question though since everyone has different taste preferences. If I tell you what I like, you might hate it so you really can't go by anyone else's opinion. There are a lot of places where youc an order samples online. You can also buy from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and return or exchage if you don't like it...

Do you prefer fruity stuff?
    Are you a chocoholic?
    Are you a vanilla snob?
    Do you like coffee?
    Thick or thin drinks?

Those all factor in.... if you have some preferences I can give you some ideas though.

( You want to avoid all the pre-mixed stuff lilke special K, atkins, eas... you're paying for fancy packaging and getting mostly protein concentrate and lots of sugar and yuck)
  • angeleyez2134
    Options
    I use protein shakes from Costco. You can get them in bulk boxes. They come in a convenient carton to take with you. I use Premier instead of muscle milk because of the costs and the calories are lower. the chocolate ones are not bad to digest. I hope that helps. :happy:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I typically buy the EAS vanilla whey protein and make my own with fruit and yogurt. That ends up being my fruit allowance for the day (1 or 2 servings) and it's got plenty of calcium and all that good stuff but it really is a personal preference. I do NOT like the chocolate shakes but a lot of people do so it really depends.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I've read that it is really difficult for women and even men to bulk up without a lot of hard work and dedication. I drink protein shakes after hard workouts, its more to restore what I lost during working out, it won't bulk you up, I like chocolate, Make sure you get a shaker with one of those wire balls in it, mixing up your shake can be kinda messy if you don't have one of those haha
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Double Chocolate.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have a shake every morning that has helped me lose weight & inches, boosts my energy, & has many of the vitamins & minerals your body needs that you don't usually get. I love it & it's so easy in the mornings.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The only way to bulk is up lift really heavy weights and eat lots of calories...3,000 a day.

If you're trying to lose weight and eat under 2,000 calories a day, you won't bulk up
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Or try making your own. My husband likes 1 c whey protein powder (vanilla) 1 c blueberries or whatever kind of frozen fruit you want and 1 c coconut milk. Blend and drink. I like them too but don't drink them a lot.
  • Oliverseanj
    Oliverseanj Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Firstly, There are multiple factors that go into "bulking up", the primary one being testosterone (which is why even some men have problems bulking up..or looking like the hulk..while others don't)...women have about 30 times less testosterone than men so in order for you to actually bulk up to a point where you appear "manly" you'd have to supplementing your diet with some sort of testosterone agent (be it natural or artificial) . Truth is strength training is just as important as cardio training when it comes to a weight loss regimen.

Protein shakes are great supplements for those who can't afford and/or dedicate the time to preparing high protein meals throughout the day (most of us, trying to get results from 'mainstream' diet plans that are peddled (like the one that accompanies p90x) would cost you about $300 dollars a week in groceries. Make sure you protein shakes contain low carbs (for weight loss) and at least 20-30 grams of protein per serving (this way you aren't losing track of the amount of calories you are taking in, while attempting to get the recommended amount of protein). Look for shakes that contain other nutrients as well (amino acids, etc.)

Muscle milk is a favorite amongst those who need a shake to taste good (Me)
    GNC amplified is good for those wishing to tack on muscle mass
    Syntha 6 is good for lean muscle mass (not too bad tasting either)

just make sure you look at the calories per serving, the scoops per serving and you should be good.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    http://i.imgur.com/nj1UJ.jpg

That picture is what REALLY happens when women strength train, and eat plenty of protein. What we THINK will happen will NOT happen without steroids because we do NOT have enough testosterone.

So start strength training and getting enough protein. Right now I shoot to have 145g of protein a day, MFP sets the bar WAY low on this on it's own so I had to change it.

I make my own protein shakes, 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce, 1 cup frozen fruit of choice, 1 scoop of GNC whey protein, splash of water if it's too thick, blend. It's only 245 calories and 25g of protein. I often do one for breakfast and then one as a night time snack.

Also look up New Rules for Lifting for Women, it's a great book and tells you why you won't bulk up but that women really NEED to be lifting more weights.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Please, for the love of pete, read this article. You will not "bulk up" by lifting weights and eating protein supplements, unless you're injecting yourself with anabolic steroids on a daily basis.

You will end up looking like this girl:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero//

I use Optimum Nutrition whey 2 or 3 times a day, mixed into oatmeal or yogurt or as a shake.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    does anyone find that their protein shakes make them feel really bloated after they drink it? this is my biggest problem with mine. idk its its the one im using, but i hate it...
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I've read that it is really difficult for women and even men to bulk up without a lot of hard work and dedication. I drink protein shakes after hard workouts, its more to restore what I lost during working out, it won't bulk you up, I like chocolate, Make sure you get a shaker with one of those wire balls in it, mixing up your shake can be kinda messy if you don't have one of those haha

^^^^ THIS.....you aren't going to look like Lou Ferigno by drinking protein shakes....it will help build and maintain muscle (and I mean tone, not bulk) and hence burn more calories at rest!
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I tried the shakes from Complete Nutrition. They are really good but also very expensive. So, I ended up getting some called Body Fortress. I got the strawberry and it is really good. I also have the blender bottle which is a shaker w/ a wire whisk ball that you drop in and it helps get it all mixed up together. That was a good thing to buy...

I usually have 1 for breakfast and sometimes after I work out...
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've been using Intek Protein Evolution-chocolate and love it. Only 160 cals and 34g of protein. Good stuff.
  • MarisaJean82
    Options
    I like the Designer Whey Chocolate powder, typically I mix it with soy milk and I mix it in my Magic Bullet for a couple of seconds. Before I was mixing it with a spoon and the chunks were disgusting.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just picked up some vanilla flavoured brown rice protein powder,to make shakes. I add unsweetened almond milk and fruit.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    does anyone find that their protein shakes make them feel really bloated after they drink it? this is my biggest problem with mine. idk its its the one im using, but i hate it...

You may be lactose intolerant.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options

You may be lactose intolerant.

lol trust me i am teh farthest thing from lactose intolerant.. i drink milk and dairy on a daily basis...its has something to do with the protein, like i said id ont remember my old protein doing that.. but this one is bad...