Resperdal: Anyone on the tablet gained weight & lost the excess once stopped medication?

Options
I got divorced & went into depression. The doctor prescribed me with SSRI for many months. I had a lot of energy & willpower. I would exercise in the morning & evening and watch consistently what I eat. So, I was losing about 2kg every month. & then 5 Kg in 2 weeks when I once did Atkins Induction. I could really see my body shrink & get into shape. I lost about 18Kg in a year. I'm 5 2".
But my other symptoms were not getting better, so we showed another doctor & he put me on Resperdal along with SSRI. I became less irritable & emotional. BUT, I started gaining weight. I used it for about 8 months. Gained 14Kgs. Lost my energy & will power. & never regained it after stopping Resperdal. I'm still on SSRI. I just got my periods after 7 months because resperdal increases Prolactin. & I'm struggling to find my energy & lose weight. I just like to spend my time in bed sleeping. I have joined a fitness center. But I'm not consistent. I get hungry if I don't eat a lot of carbs. I weigh 78 Kg now! The plus is my mood is back to normal & I'm happy except for the weight part.
What was your experience? What did you do?
Thank you.

Replies

• sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm currently taking risperdal and have successfully lost almost 20kgs. It can be done. I simply ate less calories than what i was burning. If you use myfitnesspal correctly through having a calorie deficit you can lose the weight you have gained. Hope this helps.
  • BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    Options
    Hi I'm currently taking risperdal and have successfully lost almost 20kgs. It can be done. I simply ate less calories than what i was burning. If you use myfitnesspal correctly through having a calorie deficit you can lose the weight you have gained. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. While on the tablet, I was hungry most of the time. According to the Doctor, hunger & sudden weight gain is expected side effect. After stopping, I try to eat about 1000 calories. I have even tried Atkins diet again, but no weight loss this time & my calorie intake was about 700. Losing 20Kg while on the tablet is a huge success. What else did you do other than count calories?

• BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    Options
    Bump. For replies.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

That is how you do it. Surprisingly simple.

I lost 30 pounds over 6 months while taking risperdal a couple of years ago. I'm on Geodon now which is similar and have lost 60 pounds over the last 9 months. I find that if I don't pay attention to what I eat on these medications I gain, but when I set a small calorie deficit, then track and weigh everything I eat, I lose.

700-1000 calories a day is an unhealthily small amount of food to be eating. Unless you are very petite, have a medical condition, or are eating more than you think you should be losing too much weight. If you aren't currently using a food scale get one and be sure you are entering every bite you eat. If you still don't lose at the rate you set on MFP see a doctor.
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost 18 kilos while on it, I am 60 kilos now and 162cm height. Calorie counting really helped. I didn't cut out the carbs but ate a lot of fiber rich foods to keep me full. No juice or carbonated drinks except for carbonated/sparkling water for whenever I wanted something cold and fizzy. I usually had a calorie deficit during the week, I ate more on weekends and did I lot of walking and counting steps with the Fitbit. When I was losing I did a bit over 10000 steps a day. Lost the weight very slowly, took 2 years.
  • maryoracle
    maryoracle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, the weight WILL come off after stopping Risperdal, but you may need another med adjustment too. Like adding a weight loss med to temporarily jump-start your body into a new rhythm.
    Congrats on being happy!