Ellipticals?

Options
2»

Replies

• lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    I hate the elliptical. The stride is always too short for me and I feel off balance. My leg naturally wants to keep going forward when the machine starts pulling it back and I feel like I'm doing some kind of odd shuffle step. Just never worked for me, give me a treadmill where I can walk/jog/run naturally at my normal stride and I'm happy.

My gym has free range ellipticals (NordicTrack) that can do anything from stair stepping to a long runners stride. I'm sure they are on the market but are probably pricier
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i have been using my treadmill since Jan and that has been all for cardio.

A few weeks ago I got an elliptical because i heard about the great burn you get from it. (only paid $100 as I got it from a friend)

well let me tell you, it BURNS! i can still only do it for a couple of mins before i feel like i might die. i then go right to my treadmill and do most of my cardio there. the thing is, the elliptical will get my HR to a rate that will take me 15-20mins on the treadmill even with incline, so i do end up burning more cals on the treadmill since my HR is already very high. so it has worked out for me. but the burning in my quads when i get off the elliptical is something else. i really thought that it would be easier for me since i have been working out all year, but it just is totally different. so for me, i use both, elliptical and treadmill in conjunction.

how long did it take you all to get used to the elliptical?? ive only had mine about 2wks maybe..
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The eliptical is my favorite machine! It definitely takes getting used to, I started for 15 minutes and then worked my way up. The only issue I have with the eliptical is that my toes go numb after using it for over 30 minutes. It's weird, I probably need new shoes. I bought my eliptical from a used sports equipment place for about $150. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does the trick!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my favorite also. It was awkward at first but you should see me go now! I use a Nautilus one at the gym. I just wish it could adjust to go on an incline because I read that will strengthen the muscles in your legs that support your knees.

According to the readout on the machine, I can burn more calories and get my heart rate up higher and faster than on any other machine.
    The only issue I have with the eliptical is that my toes go numb after using it for over 30 minutes. It's weird, I probably need new shoes.

same here!
  • Zerbertkisses
    Zerbertkisses Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get that weird sensation in my toes on my left foot towards the end of my workout as well.. lol. I chalked it up to the shoes as well... I've had them for a few years now and they're also not running shoes, more just walking everyday shoes...
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Every type of workout can help promote weight loss and every type of workout can eventually be a stagnation in weight loss.

The key is muscle confusion (do I sound like an infomercial yet?) to where you mix up the types and/or intensities of exercises you do. So if you only have the elliptical to use, kick it up a few notches to the equivalent of an all-out sprint every now and again.

The key is not what - when - where - how - but just that it's DONE.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home and absolutely love it! I would recommend looking into used machines rather than buying a lower priced one new. You can get something that is made for a heavier workout with more features, which will make a big difference as you start to get into better condition. Be sure to check the weight limit on whatever you buy. Some of the home machines can be pretty low, and that can affect the life of the machine. Craigslist is a great resource. Good luck!