First time going to the gym

Options
Hey guys!
I have finally decided to do something about my body.My aim is to get a lean body.I signed up for a gym yesterday and going for an introductory class tomorrow.Will be glad to get some encouragement 'cause I feel quite anxious just thinking bout it

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Good going.

Keep telling yourself it's ok to be a beginner. But not so easy. People hold themselves back from lots of good stuff because they don't want to work through the beginner phase.

If you're going to an intro class, does that mean everyone is a beginner or you're getting a freebie in an existing class? Try not to compare yourself to others. Again, not easy.

Keep trying new stuff at the gym until you figure out what you want to do. Keep in mind the serious folks at your gym are in their own bubbles. Sometimes newbies think the regulars are unfriendly, but mostly they are just in their routines.

Never quit. I'd like to change the name of this board and ditch motivation, add determination.
  • bummingcharisma
    bummingcharisma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement 88olds!
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Talk to the trainers at the gym. Have them give you a tour and show you how to use everything. If you can afford one or two PT sessions you can get some personal instruction. Otherwise just go to the classes with an open mind. I sucked at everything when I started but I kept at it and now I rock! Lol
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I was so ashamed of myself when I joined the gym but I just kept going and I feel like a completely different person 6 mths. Fitness, strength, body confidence have tripled. I hated mornings but now look forward to getting up at 5am to get to the gym. A good personal trainer will make a big difference too.
  • bummingcharisma
    Options
    Thanks guys!really needed the encouragement.I survived my first PT today..will be going to my first class tomorrow
  • ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE
    ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that you are going there for you. Try your hardest to completely forget about everyone else. I often attended a zumba class, but have switched to a cycling class recently. A lot of people (men + women) would not come to the zumba class or leave once it started because they felt anxious about not knowing the dance routines. It was sad to see people sacrifice their own health because of what they thought others think. We were all new at one point or another. When I see people that don't know the routine, I know they are new. I leave it at that. They'll pick up on it. I was once there too.

The instructors are there to help you. They enjoy helping you. If you need to know a modification to an exercise, let them know. If you are attending any other class than an introductory class, it might help to ease your anxiety if you approach the instructor before class and let them know you are new. Developing rapport with the instructor will help you feel more comfortable.
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is a huge step! The fact that you are getting up to go to the gym is amazing. Remember never be to hard on yourself, a little effort everyday makes a huge difference.
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice above. I agree with prettypretty. It is good to switch things up off and on. I took bellydance to try something new and loved it. It was a real confidence booster and helped me learn how to control my body. I also attended zumba too and fell in love with it. These both were community ed classes so there was always a mix group of people of all ages and was cheaper. The cool thing was everyone was supportive of one another and we were all learning and came from different levels. I love to dance even though I am not that good, but zumba always had me sweating and I never regretted going. Before doing classes, I spent a lot of my time doing HIT training to Jilian Michaels dvds that I found very successful and made me strong. I still work out to them, but currently I have been in such a dancey mood, I have a youtube playlist of different cardio and dance exercises to save some extra cash. Let me tell you though, when you are working out with a group, you are all in it together and it is more fun and easier to push yourself past your limits. Exercising and eating healthy should never be a drag, and finding activities you like to do is key especially if you surround yourself with motivated people that share the same goals. Make eachother comfortable. Be the person that says something supportive first. :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    it's scary for the first few time. but it gets easier and soon your hooked. so just go have fun
  • bummingcharisma
    Options
    Don't forget that you are going there for you. Try your hardest to completely forget about everyone else. I often attended a zumba class, but have switched to a cycling class recently. A lot of people (men + women) would not come to the zumba class or leave once it started because they felt anxious about not knowing the dance routines. It was sad to see people sacrifice their own health because of what they thought others think. We were all new at one point or another. When I see people that don't know the routine, I know they are new. I leave it at that. They'll pick up on it. I was once there too.

The instructors are there to help you. They enjoy helping you. If you need to know a modification to an exercise, let them know. If you are attending any other class than an introductory class, it might help to ease your anxiety if you approach the instructor before class and let them know you are new. Developing rapport with the instructor will help you feel more comfortable.

I love that saying 'Don't forget you are going there for you'.Thank you so much.Will try my best for the class I'm going today
  • bummingcharisma
    Options
    A lot of good advice above. I agree with prettypretty. It is good to switch things up off and on. I took bellydance to try something new and loved it. It was a real confidence booster and helped me learn how to control my body. I also attended zumba too and fell in love with it. These both were community ed classes so there was always a mix group of people of all ages and was cheaper. The cool thing was everyone was supportive of one another and we were all learning and came from different levels. I love to dance even though I am not that good, but zumba always had me sweating and I never regretted going. Before doing classes, I spent a lot of my time doing HIT training to Jilian Michaels dvds that I found very successful and made me strong. I still work out to them, but currently I have been in such a dancey mood, I have a youtube playlist of different cardio and dance exercises to save some extra cash. Let me tell you though, when you are working out with a group, you are all in it together and it is more fun and easier to push yourself past your limits. Exercising and eating healthy should never be a drag, and finding activities you like to do is key especially if you surround yourself with motivated people that share the same goals. Make eachother comfortable. Be the person that says something supportive first. :)

OMG!I think I'm going through the same phase as you.I did Jillian Michaels Body shred and her revolution dvd but yeah..I felt lonely doing it.Even though I felt strong,Infelt something is missing.That's why I sign up for the gym
  • bummingcharisma
    Options
    it's scary for the first few time. but it gets easier and soon your hooked. so just go have fun

Thanks for the advice