Calling all calorie/macro experts!

Options
I am interested in trying IIFYM to assist with optimal health and body composition with losing weight. According to my Fit Bit I burn on average 2000 calories per day (this does include exercise ie. strength training and cardio and on rest days housework, getting outside, being social etc) so I have set my calories to 1600 to lose weight. Would a 400 calorie a day deficit be enough for moderate paced yet sustainable weight loss? MFP doesn't help as it recommends 1200-1300 calories even at .5 pound a week and this is not ok for me. I am 166 tall and 61kg hoping to get down to 57kg.

Also, I am having trouble working out my macro split. I tried 40f 40p 20c and lasted less than a week as I was feeling lethargic and a bit sick from lack of carbs. I know I need to keep my protein high to minimise muscle loss while losing weight and I dont want to go low on fats as my digestive systems needs fat to do it's thing if you know what I mean!

I was thinking 40c 35p 44g. This equates to 160g carbs though? Is this acceptable for weight loss?

No 'macros don't matter' responses please :)

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I would just go off of a basic structure of getting minimums of:

1g protein/pound of body weight- 135g
    0.3g fat/pound of fat- 40g

Leaving you about 700 calories to get from any macro. Meaning you could get up to 175g of carbs if you wanted.

And yeah, just try 1,600 calories, see how you feel, how your results are coming along and make adjustments to your plan accordingly in terms of calories. No calculator or fitness watch will be able to tell you how many calories you are burning, they can definitely help get you started but you're going to have to try something out, and track your progress and track how you're feeling.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    LizzyK1983 wrote: »
    MFP doesn't help as it recommends 1200-1300 calories even at .5 pound a week and this is not ok for me.

you are comparing apples to oranges here. MFP works in a different way. You set your activity level and stats, it gives you a starting point calorie goal. Then you would add in any extra exercise outside your basic activity level like the gym, cardio, extra walking and MFP would adjust your calorie goal up based on that input exercise. You can sync your fitbit to MFP as well.

• brianwysocki2017
    brianwysocki2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am interested in trying IIFYM to assist with optimal health and body composition with losing weight. According to my Fit Bit I burn on average 2000 calories per day (this does include exercise ie. strength training and cardio and on rest days housework, getting outside, being social etc) so I have set my calories to 1600 to lose weight. Would a 400 calorie a day deficit be enough for moderate paced yet sustainable weight loss? MFP doesn't help as it recommends 1200-1300 calories even at .5 pound a week and this is not ok for me. I am 166 tall and 61kg hoping to get down to 57kg.

Also, I am having trouble working out my macro split. I tried 40f 40p 20c and lasted less than a week as I was feeling lethargic and a bit sick from lack of carbs. I know I need to keep my protein high to minimise muscle loss while losing weight and I dont want to go low on fats as my digestive systems needs fat to do it's thing if you know what I mean!

I was thinking 40c 35p 44g. This equates to 160g carbs though? Is this acceptable for weight loss?

• brianwysocki2017
    brianwysocki2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cbeew5kuwdmt.png

This is my macro ratio, for weight loss. In 3 weeks I've lost 8 lbs
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your workout intensity- Carbs are really important to provide the fuel.

My breakdown is 45-50% carbs, 20-25% f and the rest protein.
    Its been working well for me, and I am stronger, fitter and more alert- and funnily enough leaner since I upped my carb intake.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    calculate protein as .8-1g per goal lean muscle mass (you'll need to know desired end state in weight and BF%); fat as .4-.6g goal lean muscle mass and then fill in the rest with carbs

personally, I do better on a higher protein (I'm at about 1.3g per goal lean muscle mass)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This. It's all right there. Calories for weight loss. Macros for health and body composition. Priorities 1)protein 2)fats 3)carbs.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This equates to 160g carbs though? Is this acceptable for weight loss?

Just to address this point....
    Any number of carbs is "acceptable" if you are in a deficit, it's the calorie deficit that results in weight loss not an arbitrary number or percentage of carbs.

Extreme example recently:
    Ate 621g of carbs in a day, still had a big calorie deficit due to a very long bike ride. Net result would be a loss of fat.

Like many I prefer to work on minimum goals for protein and fat rather than fixed ratios for the three macros. Far more flexibility which, for me at least, results in easier adherence.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Calculate your protein and fat from your lean body mass and fill in the rest of your calories with carbs.

Protein - 2.3-3.1 g/kg (~1.1-1.4 g/lb) of lean body mass (LBM) range when cutting
    Protein - 1.6-2.2 g/kg (~0.8-1.0 g/lb) LBM when bulking

Fat - 0.9-1.3 g/kg (~0.4-0.6 g/lb) of LBM when cutting
    Fat - intake around 20-30% of calorie intake when bulking