Being a nurse... Calories burned???

Options
Hi everyone! :) I am a nurse, and I work (standing/walking at a light pace in an office) on average 7-8 hours on my feet at a time (without sitting at all), and was wondering if anyone has a similar job and has calculated the calories burned? I ordered a pedometer, but it hasn't came in yet. I calculated it online, and it's saying I've burned anywhere from 600-1,000 calories for 7 hours straight. I was just curious if this sounded accurate? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    When I had a similar job, I just set my activity level to something appropriate. I'm pretty sure it even says "nurse" as an example.
  • OKbound
    OKbound Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been wondering the same thing. It seems like this site has nursing as a moderately active job, but let me tell you, I work on an orthopedic pediatric unit and I run my bottom off. It would be interesting to see just how many calories we burn!
  • recoverynervosa
    Options
    Hi there,
    I too work at the hospital, albeit it's volunteering at patient transport. I'm on my feet for probably 3 of the 4 hours I'm there, and I end up burning quite a lot of calories as well. It is accurate, but you have to take into account that it's also part of your daily routine.
    Take care!
  • _Rosie_
    _Rosie_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Depending on the day, it can be really busy at our office too! I'm in the dermatology field. :) I did set it to nursing, but I'm getting different numbers, so I was just curious to see if anyone else has calculated it...
  • laureneva15
    laureneva15 Posts: 280
    Options
    Kinda off topic, but have you got any advice for a student nurse? still only first year, we go on our first clinical placements in a few weeks, which is scary
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse in a clinic and am constantly on my feet also... the setting on here says moderate I go along because I would rather be under shooting than over shooting... however I wear an HRM when I work out... considered wearing it at work one day but the chest strap isnt the most comfortable thing invented.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think you should set your daily activity accordingly which will encompass you working on your feet and moving constantly. Im not a nurse - but I work 8-9 hours a day on my feet constantly moving bending and lifting. I set my activitly level accordingly on the site and its working out for me :) Helps to pre-set calories needed on a daily basis
  • wimmerfan
    wimmerfan Posts: 24
    Options
    I work in a hospital as a CNA on a cardiac telemtry unit at a number one heart hospital in the central and northern part of the state. we are always extremly busy and i never have time to sit i just wonder if the settings on here for a nurse says light activity and as much as i run what i should really be at
  • fuzzy2011
    fuzzy2011 Posts: 2
    Options
    I work as a nurse in a nursing home. I stand at a med cart all day and running up and down the hall. I would love to know how many calories I burn. Have a pedometer will try tommrow. fuzzy2011
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I work as a Surgical Tech. It varies every day. Yesterday I did 15,000 steps and today was just under 10,000. I set me fitness level to mod active.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Try this site (to calculate calories): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm

(from the Livestrong.com site): Estimated Calories Burned as a Nurse
    Overview

The number of calories you burn while nursing is determined by your weight and the length and intensity of your work shift. Activity level is the predominant factor: You burn more calories on your feet rather than sitting at a desk.
    Formula

The formula for estimating the amount of calories burned while nursing is (METs x 3.5 x weight in kg) ÷ 200) x duration in minutes. Your MET, or metabolic equivalent, is a calculation that represents the energy exerted in a specific task compared to a sedentary state. Divide your weight in pounds by 2.2 to determine your weight in kilograms. If you weigh 160 lbs., your weight in kilograms is 72.7.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/316599-estimated-calories-burned-as-a-nurse/#ixzz1TGBplbov

MET Values

If your job requires you to work in a lab and walk slowly, your MET value is 2.0. If you walk at a moderate speed and carry light objects or push wheelchairs, your MET value is 4.0. Using stairs on the job can increase your MET value to 5.0.
    Calories Burned

A 160 lb. person working in a lab for 7 hours can burn 1,058 calories. If you walk for four hours, half of an 8-hour shift, you burn 1,210 calories. If your job is physically demanding and you're on your feet about 8 hours, you can burn 3,024 calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/316599-estimated-calories-burned-as-a-nurse/#ixzz1TGC3Q4EZ

I spent more than 20 years running on 12 hour night and 8 hour day shifts. Even in the CCU, you're really burning the calories with all the q2h patient turns, etc. It's a heavy duty weight lifting profession~~~yes, the RNs have to do a lot of that too. It's precisely why I spent the last 5 years of working by finishing the last half of a Bachelor of Science degree with a triple concentration followed by two back-to-back Masters in education. Worked full time/studied full time and said "adios" to the profession forever. It's a high emotional and high physical stress life. Took an early out retirement at age 60 (with my back intact). GL :)
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a RN too and though we are on our feet alot, our heart rates aren't really raised for long periods of time, so I don't account for my work in my calories burned. I guess I don't consider that substantial cardio, just a part of everyday life.

Although Fitzie has a good point. CCU would be more intense than my unit. I only have to turn 3 pound babies. Much easier than turning adults!
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in checking out this site, as it lists many, many things. Hope it helps! :)
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • babynurse123
    babynurse123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bUMP
  • Colleena565
    Options
    Hi I work in Long Term Care and I'm a front line worker meaning I wash, dress, roll bodies and lift body parts, I also use heavy equipment to lift and move them along with the weight of the machine to put them on the toilet and in their chairs. I change diapers and care for people that are total care. I porter them to and from the dining room for meals I show them show plates, take orders and serve all the plates to the residents there are 32 of them. I then collect all the dirty dishes and I feed them their meals I also bathe them there are approx. 2 to 3 people that I bath daily completely from head to toe. I also do refreshment cart on alternating days that is taking a cart from room to room giving out refreshments and snacks along with assisting the one that can not do it themselves. I serve breakfast and lunch. I also toilet people before and after meals and I also collect dirty clothes in large bags and have to dump them down the laundry shoots. Along with answering the call bells the halls are very long. Just wondering how many calories that would burn I know I'm exhausted at the end of the day and have to lay down for a hour or two when I get home to recuperate. I once was on a web site that said bathing and taking care of one invalid burned 600 calories. Just wondering if it is true or not.
  • Colleena565
    Options
    I found out on a page called Calories Burned this - Nursing (patient care) - bedside care only
    767 calories in 4 hr
    Totals from Previous Calculations
    1,380 calories in 6 hr
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It's part of your regular activity. You don't count extra. You gained weight doing this job right?? I'm a nurse in an urgent care. It's busy yes but not to the point of exercise such as running.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and, similarly, I am on my feet most of the time. Probably not as much as a nurse, but I rarely sit down. When I do, it's for only a few minutes at a time before I'm off to work with the next student.

MFP listed "teacher" as an example profession for "lightly active." So I set myself as "lightly active" and then wear my Fitbit all day.

The way that the Fitbit works is that it tells MFP when you are being more active than your stated activity level. So if I am more active than "lightly active," Fitbit tells MFP and I get more calories.

By the time I have finished a day of work, I have typically gained 300-400 calories "extra" from being more active than "lightly active." This is just from my workday -- not from concerted "exercise." I eat all/most of the calories from the Fitbit and have been losing weight at or above the weekly goal that I set up with MFP, so I feel like it seems to be accurate.

So, based on the info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ladyhawk00/view/activity-level-and-logging-exercise-125513, I am probably considered "active." However, because of weekends and professional development days, etc where I am sitting more often, I keep myself at "lightly active" and let Fitbit give me more calories for being on my feet all day on the days when that's what I'm doing. The only problem with this is on the days when I forget to wear my Fitbit -- and therefore am on my feet all day but have no way of knowing how much I'm burning. Luckily, that's only happened one time out of the last 2.5 months.

In your case, I would list yourself as being Active and, ideally, wear a tracking device.
  • kahulalui
    kahulalui Posts: 33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    wilsoje74 wrote: »
    It's part of your regular activity. You don't count extra. You gained weight doing this job right?? I'm a nurse in an urgent care. It's busy yes but not to the point of exercise such as running.

You make a point.

Even though this is an old thread.