Bridesmaid Dress Drama

Options
Yesterday I posted a very heart felt and disappointing post about falling off of the wagon and only having a few months left before I'm my sister's maid of honor in her wedding.

Well, today she picked our dress, http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/2726/

Yikes. I'm going to need a full body, wet suit type of Spanx for this.

Replies

• Lauren882
    Options
    Yesterday I posted a very heart felt and disappointing post about falling off of the wagon and only having a few months left before I'm my sister's maid of honor in her wedding.

Well, today she picked our dress, http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/2726/

Yikes. I'm going to need a full body, wet suit type of Spanx for this.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    You'll be fine, I've never been into the mermaid style dresses. Just keep up with what you are doing!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That dress is AWESOME!! Itll look better than you think I bet..just stay on the wagon!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    hmmmm. dress looks intimidating!

you know what? maybe just print a copy of the dress and tape it up somewhere in your home. everytime you feel like you are going to fall off, look at the dress and do some jumping jacks or something.

you have done incredibly well so far. maybe its time to re-evaluate some mini goals and focus only on those, with the (evil) dress being the ultimate goal. maybe even some new 'before' pics and a new 'starting day'.

just throwing things out there...:flowerforyou:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I bet that dress will look great...It looks like its really form fitting but I bet its not as bad as you think...You will look awesome
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, maid of honors wear a different style dress to set them apart from the pack.
    If you hate the dress, maybe suggest this to your sister? Same color scheme, but different style to showcase you.
  • mandersen16
    Options
    That's a good idea putting a picture of that dress everywhere! That way you think about "falling off".

Today is a new day though! And you've already done an amazing job. Just get right back up and continue on down the road! :flowerforyou:
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    WOW I think it's beautiful! I think it will actually be flattering, because of the color difference where we all naturally curve in!!! What color is she planning on??
  • Lauren882
    Options
    WOW I think it's beautiful! I think it will actually be flattering, because of the color difference where we all naturally curve in!!! What color is she planning on??

Ivory on the top, aubergine (dark purple) on the bottom
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    if i had to wear that dress i'd be askin myself how close of a friend she was
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I think bridesmade dresses are the worst! Most everyone picks one style of dress and expects it to look good on every "body" in the wedding party. I think it's better to pick one color to unify everyone but let each girl pick a dress that flatters her.

I'm not saying this because I don't think you can where this dress. But if it were up to you would you pick this dress for you. For the money you put out it should at least be something you feel beautiful in and not something that is going to cause you stress.

This is a beautiful dress and maybe it will be an extra motivation for you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have 4 bridesmaid dresses from last year (with shoes and accessories, totaling well over $1k) and only ONE did I get to pick out myself. It was by far my least favorite color, but at least I felt comfortable in the style of the dress.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The dress is beautiful, but I know for a fact that satin is one of the least flattering fabrics, especially in such a form fitting style. Hopefully, you can use the dress as motivation. I really like the idea of posting a picture of it somewhere you can remind yourself of your goals when you feel like falling off the wagon.

Good Luck! :smile:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    that's a gorgeous dress!!!
    i'm sure you'll be able to do it!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I have 4 bridesmaid dresses from last year (with shoes and accessories, totaling well over $1k) and only ONE did I get to pick out myself. It was by far my least favorite color, but at least I felt comfortable in the style of the dress.

Since my bridesmaids had to pay for their dresses, I let them pick out the dresses they wanted. The dress they picked out wasn't the color I originally wanted, but it wasn't that big of a issue for me.

Now if it would have been taffeta with a hoop skirt...there would have been some words. :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I think the dress is beautiful but.. seriously, why would she choose mermaid style? That's the hardest style to pull off, especially for anyone with hips and a booty. Maybe she'd waver on the style, but keep the colours. In a lot off weddings, all the bridesmaids wear a different style, but the same fabric and colour. It adds a bit of personality for each girl. Just a thought. But if you want to do it, I know you can! And you will look great no matter the style!:flowerforyou:

ps how much do you think the model in the photo weighs? lol I've never seen anyone so thin!
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think the dress is beautiful but.. seriously, why would she choose mermaid style? That's the hardest style to pull off, especially for anyone with hips and a booty. Maybe she'd waver on the style, but keep the colours. In a lot off weddings, all the bridesmaids wear a different style, but the same fabric and colour. It adds a bit of personality for each girl. Just a thought. But if you want to do it, I know you can! And you will look great no matter the style!:flowerforyou:

ps how much do you think the model in the photo weighs? lol I've never seen anyone so thin!

Right!! I was thinking how painfully thin she looked that it almost doesn't look like a mermaid dress on her! My wedding dress was mermaid style and I was pretty plump at the time, but it looked really good and enhanced what I did have. I think the dress is gorgeous, alot better than any I've worn and been stuck with afterward. If you already have a preset size, work toward it but don't kill yourself as anything can be modified.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You can pull it off ! Just don't be crazy like one of my bridesmaids and insist on buying the dress 2 sizes to small so you can lose weight to fit in it!!! CRAZY!!!!