Multi-vitamins

Options
I was wanting to start taking a multi vitamin for the days I do not eat well i still get some vitamins in me. I was wondering who takes them and what brand/brands would you recommend.

Maybe even other vitamin or supplements you take daily.

Thanks

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I take prenatal ones. I'm 7 months PP, but the bottle was huge and I'm cheap so I want to finish them lol.

I also take Biotin for hair and nail health.
  • arconis
    arconis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do, I take the Kirkland Signature daily vitamin twice a day (1000 cal/day), they are cheap and I don't get any deficiencies while dieting.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum multivitamins daily, regardless of how well I eat...I consider it an insurance policy against bad nutrition. :smile: I also take fish oil, Biotin for hair/nail health, Vitamin D (because my doctor told me to, I have a deficiency, common in people my age).
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Flintstones! Has what I need (iron, vit D, etc) without being wasteful or expensive. I like the way they taste :smile: Until my Dr tells me I need something else, I'm sticking with it.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I use the Vita Fusion Adult gummy vitamins every day. Doc said they're fine for me
  • mkirklions
    mkirklions Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does the human body require fiber to absorb vitamins?

Why are they so demonized by the internet?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Nature's Way (or whatever is on sale labeled "gluten-free"), all suggested by my doctor: multi-vite, vitamin D, calcium. On my own - fish oil (to boost hdl levels) and potassium because muscle cramps. I think the idea is to be able to get all your micros from actual food, but managing that would be a full-time job for me, and would restrict my food choices considerably, so supplements are my friend :)

eta: spelling
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I take Women's One a Day.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i have a MTHFR gene mutation, so i cannot process folate. long story short, i take 800mcg methylfolate (B9 but NOT FOLIC ACID) along with 1000mcg methylcobalamin (B6 BUT NOT CYANOCOBALAMIN) along with 5000 iU of vitamin D. those are the only ones i really feel i need since i eat a well-rounded healthy diet.
    the brand i use is Doctor's Best and i buy it on amazon.

*ETA = vitamin D is fat soluble so must be taken with fatty foods, as is Vit E;
    B's are water soluble so if you take "too much" you will just urinate the excess*
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    my diet is full of nutrition already so probably don't really need them but i take one anyways (for good measure) and only half a dosage (chop the pill in half), which are men's Rainbow Light... one bottle will last me 300 days.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I just take a fish oil supplement with vit D daily; everything else I get from food. If I have a nutritionally crappy day I really don't worry much because they're few and far between.
  • MizzzFit
    MizzzFit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mkirklions wrote: »

Nope the body does not need fiber to absorb vitamins. If your digestion and intestinal systems are functioning optimally you should be able to absorb your supplements. Also if you are taking fat soluble vitamins - A, D, E & K, it is good to take with either an omega or fat (nuts, avo, etc.) to help with absorption.
  • markswife1992
    edited June 2017
    Options
    MizzzFit wrote: »

Nope the body does not need fiber to absorb vitamins. If your digestion and intestinal systems are functioning optimally you should be able to absorb your supplements. Also if you are taking fat soluble vitamins - A, D, E & K, it is good to take with either an omega or fat (nuts, avo, etc.) to help with absorption.

also, taking a supplement of fiber with vitamins (at the same time) prevents absorption. (such as benefiber or metamucil)

• MizzzFit
    MizzzFit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to start taking a multi vitamin for the days I do not eat well i still get some vitamins in me. I was wondering who takes them and what brand/brands would you recommend.

Thanks

Taking a multi daily is a great idea if your diet is not always great. I would recommend doing your research on vitamins as they are all not created equally. Typically supplements from the drugstore are poor quality - Centrum and the One a days - are made with cheap fillers, added dyes and poor quality vitamins that are not as easily absorbed by the body. If you go super cheap with supplements you are basically paying for expensive pee, as your body will just be getting rid of them with little absorption.

I would suggest hitting up a Health store near you and speaking to the ppl who work there. You can get better quality products but still don't have to break the bank. - Also the ppl working in those types of stores are usually nutritionists who are very knowledgeable in supplements.

Good luck :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Thanks

Taking a multi daily is a great idea if your diet is not always great. I would recommend doing your research on vitamins as they are all not created equally. Typically supplements from the drugstore are poor quality - Centrum and the One a days - are made with cheap fillers, added dyes and poor quality vitamins that are not as easily absorbed by the body. If you go super cheap with supplements you are basically paying for expensive pee, as your body will just be getting rid of them with little absorption.

I would suggest hitting up a Health store near you and speaking to the ppl who work there. You can get better quality products but still don't have to break the bank. - Also the ppl working in those types of stores are usually nutritionists who are very knowledgeable in supplements.

Good luck :)

While I agree that not all vitamins are created equal, getting advice from a health food store would be the absolute last place I'd look. Just look at some of the crack pot stuff they sell (like cleanses and homeopathy) and you can understand why I avoid them.

I do take a multi on most days but I don't worry if I run out. I'm never in a hurry to buy the next bottle. It is more of an insurance policy. And like others, I never take the full dose (I don't cut the pill, I just take 1 instead of 3 as directed).
  • markswife1992
    Options
    try looking for methyl formulated or bioavailable forms of vitamins as they are more easily absorbed. :smile:
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Many multivitamins out there on the market are, frankly, crap. They're full of commonly-occurring vitamins and minerals which most people with a somewhat decent diet are already consuming enough of.

Personally, I take ADAM by NOW Foods.

https://examine.com is a great unbiased and third-party source for reviews on supplements, including vitamins.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

also, taking a supplement of fiber with vitamins (at the same time) prevents absorption. (such as benefiber or metamucil)

Interesting then that the Fiber Well Fit gummy fiber supplements also have B vitamins with them. Hm.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    "Ritual"! I had stopped taking any vitamins pretty long ago when I started eating Organic and avoiding cheap ingredients and such (so about 12 years ago) other than some Vitamin C gummies mostly because I like them. And standard multis always made me feel bad/weird/sick.

But I've started taking "Ritual" because I like the idea of 9 ingredients essential to women and nothing else. I also like detailed explanations of where each ingredient is derived. They're expensive ($30 for one month), but I love them.