Possible Hypothyroid? I haven't really lost in over 3 months.

Options
Just over 3 months ago, I decided I needed to lose weight. So (as I have done before) I set my calories at 1100 and started walking 20-30 mins at lunch.
I've been trying to eat as much fresh fruit and veggies as I can. I only eat lean proteins and try to limit carbs, but I don't keep count of those numbers. I just watch the calories, and eat as fresh (home made) as I can. On average, I drink 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of water a day, but I'm working to increase that. I don't drink any alcohol or soda. Just plain or occasionally flavored water.
My day to day life is somewhat sedentary, as I work in an office, but I almost always get between 10,000 and 12,000 steps a day.

Ok, that said, I am 38 years old, 5'6" and I currently weigh 188. Three months ago, I was 190. My weight has gone down to as low as 185 in the last 3 months, but I'm now back at 188. I CAN NOT figure out what I am doing wrong. I have had a calorie deficit of at least 1000 calories a day, every day. I have tried 3 different scales, but none of them are budging. Could I have hypothyroidism? I am tired literally all the time, even after 13 hours of sleep. I am always very slow to get started in the morning. I am cold all the time. My resting heart rate is usually around 50, and when I'm briskly walking, it gets up to 120 or so. The only symptom I don't have is the 'round' face, but that's where I lose my weight first.
I don't want to give up, but this is so disheartening. I have never not been able to lose weight with this plan. Where else could I make changes??

Thanks.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories? Are you weighing your food on a food scale or are you going by packages or estimating? Most often if you aren't weighing your food, you are eating way more than you think. It's not the kind of food that you eat that will help you lose weight, it's the quantity.

If you are concerned about having hypothyroidism, then see your doctor, no one here can diagnose you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Could you make your diary public so that we can see what you are logging? At that height and weight you should be losing easily. You either have a medical problem or something is wrong with your logging. In general, 1100 is an inappropriately low goal but until I see your diary I don't have better advice.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Only way to find out if you have a hypo-active thyroid is to see a doctor. I thought I was just tired and had short term memory problems because I had 3 children under 5. Luckily I went to my mom's doctor who knew my mom was hypo so he decide to test me. It made a world of difference not only in weight control but in concentration and mental function also.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    1. Your calories are likely too low. Mfp won't give anyone less than 1200 calories. Why aren't you following mfp's recommendations?
    2. At 10-12k steps a day, you are not sedentary. Set your goals to lightly active and lose 1 pound a week.
    3. Use a food scale. You are likely overestimating calories and that's why you aren't losing weight. Weigh all solid and semi solid foods. Measure liquids in tablespoons or ounces.

I've been in your shoes and while you may be hypo, I wasn't. I just wasn't measuring my foods (so no weight loss) and wasn't eating enough quality food (super tired). Also, more rigorous exercise (weight lifting) has helped my energy.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about hypothyroidism see your doctor ask for a comprehensive blood test. I went untreated for years because my TSH was "in range" and struggle as well with being undertreated for 7 years. The tests they usually recommend are TSH, T3, RT3, FT4, and the antibodies. Vitamins ferritin, vitamin D, B12 are often low in hypothyroid sufferers too. Only once I got all in check my sumptomd started changing. Good luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How's your logging? Are you using a food scale for ALL solids? Measuring cups/spoons for ALL liquids? Using the recipe builder? Using accurate entries? Accurately calculating exercise calories? Logging EVERYTHING that passes your lips? If your logging is 100% accurate as it could possibly be then you might want to check with your doctor. If your logging is lacking then work on that before jumping to medical issues.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor.
  • dordec78
    dordec78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you for all the input!
    I haven't been to the doctor in several years, so I guess it's time for a checkup! I will bring up my concerns and see what she has to say. I just thought I'd mention it here in the hopes that maybe someone else would say "Ohhh that sounds just like me, here's what I did.." But you guys are right, best to get a full medical check up.

No, I don't weigh anything. I honestly did pretty much estimate with the fruits and veggies, but I'm definitely not 'full' after a meal, and feel hungry through out the day, so I don't *think* I'm still over eating. If anything, I will overestimate how many calories are in a serving of something. But again, maybe what I thought was only 4 oz of salmon or chicken was actually more like 6 or 8. I just felt like physically I was eating so much less and much better types of foods that I should be losing weight.

I'm actually logging everything through the fitbit app at this point, but I found the MFP forums much nicer and more helpful, so that is why I'm here. I started on MFP years ago and did really well, but that was before I got my fitbit, so I started logging there instead. If there is a way I can share my daily fitbit logs here, I'll try. Maybe I can screen shot.

I'm just frustrated because I have done this before, and had fantastic results. And all of a sudden, everything that worked in the past, isn't working now.

I'll start with getting a food scale and making a doctors appointment and go from there.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I understand.

I had no problems losing weight the first two times. (after my first two kids) but after my third everything was different. I didn't see any progress until I weighed everything with a food scale. It's a total game changer.

But having a check up is always a good idea​!
  • dordec78
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Only way to find out if you have a hypo-active thyroid is to see a doctor. I thought I was just tired and had short term memory problems because I had 3 children under 5. Luckily I went to my mom's doctor who knew my mom was hypo so he decide to test me. It made a world of difference not only in weight control but in concentration and mental function also.

Yeah, I have a 9 year old and 7 year old twins, plus I take care of my mother (who has a host of issues) and I work full time. I figured that was why I was tired all the time, but I feel like it's more than that. I came across a thread that mentioned hypothyroidism and I had almost every single symptom. I hadn't ever considered it before, but it really does seem to make sense.
    I'll start making some other changes before I get in to see my doctor and see if that helps!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    dordec78 wrote: »
    I have had a calorie deficit of at least 1000 calories a day, every day
    I disbelieve. The numbers you list do not add up.
    If you believe them then see a doctor and have the necessary blood work, etc. done.
    an0y595bvkqh.jpg

• dordec78
    Options
    Good point. No, I don't weigh things. I also think that fitbit is overestimating how many calories I burn in a day. So there are two things I will have to look into.
    I just assumed that going from my previous diet full of carbs and sugar and definite over eating, to much smaller portions 3x a day of healthier/more whole foods would result in SOME weight loss. I've been able to lose weight before, pretty easily and steadily, (doing exactly what I'm doing now) so I just started to get frustrated when the scale wasn't moving this time. I never started out thinking I had a medical issue, it just clicked when I read another thread about not being able to lose, and everything the people said about it seemed to apply.

Anyway, first things first. I'm actually curious to start weighing out portions to see how far I am off...

And this is why I posted. I figured there were other reasons this wasn't working. And now I have other things I can try.
  • queencolleene
    queencolleene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was me 2 years ago, eating at maintenance while breastfeeding and I gained 10lb in a month, along with complete and utter exhaustion. I went to the doctor and was told "smaller portions, exercise more, you're tired because you have a baby," but they did check my thyroid at my insistence. My TSH was 100x normal levels - probably triggered by pregnancy/giving birth. Once getting on thyroid medication I was able to lose weight (although it's slower than it was before being dxed with Hashimotos.) Get blood work just to check!
  • starla22475
    starla22475 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's an easy blood test and I was shocked how much better I feel on medication. If you suspect it then get tested.