I just bought a scale and realized I was 10lbs heavier than I thought...

Options
Hi Everyone! My name is Michelle and I am 27 years old. I have a friend who started counting calories on My Fitness Pal and was telling me about it. I told her I'll do it with you, I need to eat healthier anyways! I knew I was starting to gain weight and some of my clothes weren't fitting right and I didn't feel comfortable so I said why not?! I purchased a scale over the weekend and went to do my weigh-in... It was a shock to say the least and I feel at an ultimate low. I was 10lbs heavier than the last time I got weighed.. which was a few months ago. I am ready to keep myself accountable and take this seriously. I'm happy to have a friend going through the journey but I also am happy there is a community on here. Add me so we can keep each other accountable and do challenges together!

Replies

• LouisvilleRunner73
    LouisvilleRunner73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You will be in better shape in no time! Don't get discouraged. Everyone has weight fluctuation.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too when i first started. I figured i was around 190 with 20# to lose...i was actually 199 so that 20# goal turned to 30. I've been at it almost 800 days now and keep checking off goals. Feel free to add me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Take your weigh in with a grain of salt. The scale is just one number. Water weight: time of month, higher sodium day, and sore muscles can throw the number on the scale off.....so if you find you start off with "fast" weight loss, you maybe just dropped some water weight (along with fat).

Also, that 1 number on the scale doesn't reflect your body fat %. There are women who look good at a heavier weight because more of their mass is lean mass .....sort of compact weight.

Measurements are good. When you are close to goal, weight loss can be slow. There may be times when you lost inches....but not pounds.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time.

The same way the weight accumulated is how you will lose it -i.e. slowly- but you can do it if you put in the work.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight over the course of 2 months. 17 pounds, to be exact. It was always a pound here, half a pound there and i thought I wasn't losing anything. Looking back, I've obviously lost a good bit of weight! It's like pennies, they add up over time!
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! My advice would to be to take it one day at a time; and even one meal and workout at a time! You got this! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • gem1804
    gem1804 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds like mine! I was feeling a bit snug in my clothes had to register with a health check at doctors and got a huge surprise with how much I weighed. I've lost 1st 8lbs with MFP since mid January this year and taking it slow so I enjoy it and the weight stays off! Feel free to add me I like to share my food diary and meal inspiration ideas also x
  • MeltingMom17
    MeltingMom17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! I'm nearly a week in an feeling better each day!
  • turquoise1967
    turquoise1967 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did the same thing this morning :/
  • jdevergillo7
    jdevergillo7 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I added you :)

I've found recently cutting dairy down has helped a lot! Switching creamer for almond milk, no cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream. And low carb but not no carb! Eat some carbs such as oatmeal for breakfast, multigrain bread for lunch, or brown rice with dinner.
    LOTS of water and don't eat late at night :) you got this!
  • mhollan9
    mhollan9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice! I'm super happy to have you all and this thread just made me feel good! Can't wait to show my progress with you all.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle and welcome to the cool kids club! My advice is to take some "before" photos: back, side, front to mark your progress by. It will hurt to see the pictures, but you'll be amazed how fast you can change. I've only lost about 12 pounds in 6 months, but I'm tighter. I took 3 month photos, and my 6 month's are soon. I had the courage to post them too- which is a first for me. When I have the blues, I just look at those to motivate me. You can look at other's success stories to get the idea. You CAN be one of them too!

My other advice, measure your food carefully at first. Use a scale if you have one. You'll be amazed at just how much you've been eating. I sure was. I was eating too big of portions- and it was never of salad, ha ha. You can add me if you'd like. I wish you a fun journey to better health, Sheila
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Curse the wretched scale! It's just an arbitrary measurement anyway. Though it's really hard, I try to focus on how I look and feel and ignore the scale. Muscle is more dense than fat so you could weigh more than you think you want but be super lean and fit and look fantastic too. Don't let the scale be your primary measurement.