Should absolute weightloss/fitness beginners wait to start boxing?

Options
mkzara
mkzara Posts: 73 Member
I have gained a bunch of weight in the past 2 years. About 40 pounds. I am a 28 year old female who was never fit to begin with but the weight gain has been recent.

I have always wanted to box for fitness but I am wondering if it's something I should start once I am in better shape or can I use it to get in better shape.

For those who are boxers would you advise I work up to it or just jump in the deep end?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about boxing, but I don't believe in putting off goals until you've lost the weight. Everyone starts at the beginner level no matter what shape they are in. Go for it!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would not do only boxing, but at your age, and with the right instructor, you should be able to handle it. Just start slow.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Jump in! Why wait if it's something you think you'll enjoy? Just be aware that a lot of boxing has an intense cardio component, so don't be afraid to take breaks if you have to.

Also, make sure you get some good instruction and pay careful attention to form. There is nothing worse than trying to correct bad habits 6 months or a year down the road.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You should try out something like Title Boxing Club. The classes are a full body workout. 15 minute warm up, 30 minutes of boxing on a heavy bag, and 15 minutes of core work. You can modify exercises in the warm up as needed, and a trainer explains what to do during the boxing rounds. The gym will probably offer personal training lessons, so you could take a few personal lessons to make sure your form is good and you understand how to throw the punches. We have several boxing gyms where I live (Title, Nine Rounds, Sweat, etc.), and they usually have deals on GroupOn and Living Social. Maybe check to see if you can buy a discounted class pass to try one out and see if you like it.

Not all Title gyms allow sparring, so if you are wanting to spar rather than take a boxing fitness class you will want to find a coach. I know much less about that, but a boxing fitness gym like Title/Sweat/Nine Rounds could probably point you in the right direction if you ask.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As an amateur boxer myself, I agree with EHollander89 regarding the Title Boxing Club idea. Using boxing for fitness is great, and I would highly recommend these types of cardio based classes to learn some fundamentals about boxing first. A quality class will be cardio based, but they will correct your form as needed. Depending on your athletic ability, I would not recommend sparring until you've learned how to protect yourself, the fundamentals of throwing punches, and have an experienced sparring partner.

I lost 50 pounds and then took up boxing with the intent of sparring. I went to cardio classes, did weight lifting, and took boxing classes for 4 months before I started sparring and that was considered a quick time frame. 4 months after that, at age 43, I won my first amateur boxing match. Whatever your goals are... you can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Being a kickboxing instructor, hardly anyone starts fit. If taught correctly, you can start at any fitness level.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png