Iceberg lettuce - yea or nay?

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Fine! Of the greens it has the least nutritional value.
    But oh so crunchy!
    I'll take everyone else's.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Eh, I don't dislike it but it's probably my least favorite "leafy green." Arugula is my favorite but I also really like spinach or spring mix, especially spring mix with herbs in it.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Nope. All it does is give me gut rot. The darker the better for my greens.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like all greens, including iceberg in an occasional wedge or on a taco for crunch.

Have a huge variety right now because of my CSO -- romaine, spinach, arugula, rapini. kale, and spring greens, plus radish greens that came with my radishes, and am happily eating all of them (as I would collards or endive or many, many others). Some go better in certain uses than others, but I'll enjoy them all.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's not really my favorite for salads, but wedge salads have their place and I prefer it for use on things like tacos.

If I'm the only one eating a salad, I prefer spring mix. The rest of the family will only eat that if it's mixed with romaine. I also like red and green leaf and butter lettuces as well.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    my husband will not eat a salad with any other greens. i guess it just depends. if you are putting croutons, fattening dressing along with tons of toppings like bacon bits and dried cranberries, if you are only using iceburg, you will probably not have any advantages.
    on a burger it is nice to have that crunch if you like it, but probably adds no nutritional value.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yeah it's fine, any lettuce is good, helps fill me up with low cals.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use spinach instead or romaine.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I get romaine or spinach. I need something with taste.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I used to never eat it. Now I do the Dole American mix with iceburg and shredded carrot/cabbage. So low in calories. I'm just trying to get the job done ya know. Don't want to be cutting for the rest of my life.
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have it on almost every sandwich I have. I don't like romaine too much.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of salads in general
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yay. It's good for a tuna wrap and adds crunch to salads. Iceberg lettuce has its place.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I eat it quite often.

Not for its own taste as I never eat just lettuce - but in with other things in a salad sandwich or a mixed green salad, it is quite good.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I like it as a filler food. Low in nutrients, yes. But also low in calories sooooooo.

No nutrients in iceberg but if you like the taste then why not eat it? I prefer romaine or sweet lettuces myself.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like it on burgers, sandwiches or taocs but I don't care for it as the base of my salads... I prefer a spring mix and I'm fairly certain the calories are the same or insignificantly different; mine is 20 cals for 85g which is a lot of salad lol
  • weluvanimals00
    weluvanimals00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally not a fan of it, I prefer spinach instead
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It has its place in my veggie drawer. It still has Vitamin K and lots of water and fiber so it is a great filler or just a munch when you want to fill up on not too many calories.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My husband likes iceberg but if I buy lettuce I always pick romaine. But I'm really a spinach girl through and through. Caesar salad? Spinach instead of lettuce, don't even care. I put it in everything, eggs, wraps, smoothies... SPINACH! Lol