Motivation....

Options
How do y'all get re-motivated then continue to stay motivated?

I'm having the hardest time getting back on track eating healthy and exercising consistently.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Calculate a modest calorie deficit and make a menu around food you actually like. Keep a food journal. Weigh what you eat when you're at home to control portions. Commit yourself to the time it will take to get to your goal. Find a way to be more active.

I don't put much stock in motivation. Motivation is fleeting. It's not sustainable long enough to see any kind of weight loss program through to the end. I want to change the name of this board to swap motivation for determination. Determination sees a project through to the end.
  • Andlarjax
    Andlarjax Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi i used to go to the gym 5 to 6 times a week. . . Lifted weights . . Was in the best shape ever. About a year ago I just lost my motivation and need to find it again. I have no friends close to me perhaps we can try to motivate each other
  • hvymtlchik81
    hvymtlchik81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think that is my biggest problem...having no one to join me. It's always easier when someone else can help with accountability.
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When I am feeling less motivated or energetic, I start writing my goals down and assessing my "why."

Why am I doing this in the first place? Why do I want to be healthy? What are the benefits? Why am I feeling this now?

Making a list, looking at inspirational posters on Pinterest, seeing peoples success stories on Youtube or Instagram, learning a new healthy recipe, all inspire me. I also have family and or friends that have both depression and or severe health issues, and growing up with that around me, it is also another reason to push myself farther away from a sickly lifestyle.

Sometimes, making a small step everyday makes a huge difference. Setting unrealistic and non-detailed goals/expectations can blow up in our face, causing more disappointment.

But if you literally write them down in your calendar or make small choices over time it can make a huge difference.

As 88 said above, it takes a lot of determination.

If someone brings doughnuts at work, opt out for the fruit instead. If you eat the doughnut, don't be discouraged. You still have lunch time to make it right. If you drink 3 cans of coke a day, try to only drink two. Instead of eating mayo on your sandwhich, try avocado or hummus. There are little ways you can slowly wean off of eating junk.

The key is to stay dedicated and consistent. You can do it. You really can. And once you start feeling more energetic and happy, you will stay in the habit. Just accept that sometimes we make mistakes and want to eat chips, but than jump back on the bandwagon right away. :)

• Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also, when I feel moody and unmotivated, I find that it is connected with not drinking enough water and not getting sleep. These things can tie in with oversnacking and eating crap. D: *Which I LOVE to snack* The best thing most people can do for their journey to better health is actually getting 8 hours of sleep and drinking water throughout the day to stay hydrated. You will be surprised how much better you feel and more energized you will be.
  • HeatherSDillingham
    HeatherSDillingham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't do so much at once. I have been trying to loose weight forever but I never got anywhere. So this time around I decided I was first going to focus on JUST my diet for at least a month, then add in exercise. I have lost almost 4lbs so far which is huge for me because for so long I just watched the scale continue to go up. I haven't added exercise yet either.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Add MFP friends to help with accountability (if you have no one at home to do this with), but the inner drive to do it, must come from you. Find something you enjoy that you'll stick with. Don't cut out any foods you enjoy, just fit them into your goals.

Remember why you want to get in shape. Motivation is fleeting. Make these changes habit, and you'll notice you don't need motivation. Good luck.
  • tpalit2001
    tpalit2001 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess for me the motivation is being able to run again, without risking injury to my knees. Whenever I'm tempted to give in to my cravings I remember how good it felt to run when I was 10 years younger, and how I can feel that way again. It has worked so far.
  • hvymtlchik81
    hvymtlchik81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I'm gonna put some of y'all's suggestions to work. Maybe by keeping something a little more tangible in front of me, it'll keep me reminded on why I went on this health journey to begin with.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Remembering where I was when I started and how good it feels to have come this far (even though I have a ways to go) helps me. Also, similar to what Heather said, when I have zero motivation I try to just get myself to do one simple thing (usually take a little walk). Something is always better than nothing, and even if it's all I get done that day, I can go to bed knowing that even if I didn't make progress in my fitness goal, at least I didn't slide backwards. :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation. I just do it lie I do all of the other chores I have to do that I don't always feel motivated to do.
  • katricianutting586
    katricianutting586 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No matter how you feel, Get up, Lace up, Show up, and Never give up! This was posted in my gym tonight! Good luck!