YouTube/Instagram Fitness Community

Options
leanitup123
leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
edited June 2017 in Chit-Chat
Feel like everyone and their grandma is cashing in on the popularity of fitness vlogs/accounts. I follow a few, but find majority to be toxic. What's your take?

Replies

• Gibbygetsfit89
    Gibbygetsfit89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any of those big time vloggers or those IG accounts with thousands of follower. Just regular people trying to lose weight. I find I'm more motivated with people that are also on their journey rather than those who have already surpassed theirs. Granted it probably isn't bad to get some inspiration from them one in a while but I much prefer having people to interact with who will cheer me on and have a mutually motivational relationship with.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I watch the fitness YouTube and Scroll Social Media for entertainment. I don't idolize them or look up to them however. It's more like a reality TV interest type thing. That and food ideas because I love food.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I watch the fitness YouTube and Scroll Social Media for entertainment. I don't idolize them or look up to them however. It's more like a reality TV interest type thing. That and food ideas because I love food.

I do admit to watching grocery hauls and full days of eating, but there are just so many accounts and they are all the same... :/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by they are toxic?

I don't follow any of them but then I'm not even on facebook or twitter either. Time sucks. I already have enough time-sucks.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Anyone with a camera can put videos on youtube and hope, pray, beg, for eyeballs and revenue. If they have talent, they might get rich. If they have a kitchen and a cat or dog, not so much.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Nope, I'm not on Instagram and I don't follow anyone on YouTube. I'm not really inspired by people who are 20+ years my junior and don't have jobs so they have all the time in the world to work out. As @Meg_Megz said above, I'd rather put in the work then follow people on social media.

My niece is a "fitness" model on Instagram. She's 19, is a beautiful girl and has a great butt, but other than that, she's just skinny. Her mom just recently said something about she must be doing well with money. I didn't have the heart to tell her that those models sell nudes to make money. I really hope she isn't doing that.

I thought people make money on instagram by advertising for companies. I read that you have to have a certain amount of followers and then you'll make a post and get paid for advertising. One top paid 'model' on instagram does that, but it's for an expensive clothing line.

I don't have instagram though, but I was curious if they get paid for it. I don't know anything about the 'nudes' part. hah
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I follow some Bikini competitors on YouTube and Instagram, it is interesting to see the whole contest prep and how they go about it as well as to get ideas from some of their glute workouts. Also I enjoy when they post physique updates to see their transformation progress from lean to very lean...it shows me how the body changes as it leans down and actually helps keeps my expectations realistic (though I am not a competitor myself).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm cautious about who I follow in IG but do tend to follow +200 people. I tend to favour fitness people (and therefore stick with), who are local to myself or those that are 40+ and work full time. There are a few outliers but the "fitness-celebs" rarely make it past a few days (post a pic of you holding a packet of FitTea and that is an instant un-follow from me).

I think that one of the issues with fitness in social media (probably in other topics too) is that after a while you can end up with a very distinct sub-set of society and therefore their group-think and behaviours can become normalised.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I follow a few on YT and IG but if they try to sell me something funky or promote unhealthy things I don't like, I drop them. I don't know, it is somewhat motivating to see the hard work that goes into competitions and stuff. I don't have a community of people locally at this point to talk to about fitness so it is kind of nice to see some people share their love of lifting or fitness.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't follow fitness people on social media, I just don't really find them inspirational. I mean, I might do a search on YouTube or through blogs for reviews on tech, like when I was buying my Fitbit. Or maybe for recipe ideas when I want to try something new. The struggle was REAL when it came to perfecting my protein powder mug cake. But I don't look to them when it comes to HOW or WHAT I should eat or to see their transformations, etc. I suppose I just don't really care. I've tried checking it out but it doesn't hold my interest.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think they're *kitten* stupid. They are basically making a life out of being obsessed with themselves. The whole idea of an "Instagram star" is just weird.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Feel like everyone and their grandma is cashing in on the popularity of fitness vlogs/accounts. I follow a few, but find majority to be toxic. What's your take?

I kinda like it. There are some who I follow devoutly and others who I can't follow at all because they make me set unrealistic standards for myself. I love Brittany Dawn - her Youtube videos keep me at ease. And Ana Cheri is my "goal"