Workout pants for Seniors

Options
We started going to The gym for strength training. I am about 20 pounds overweight. I feel self-conscious wearing spandex pants that all the young girls wear, but that's the only thing that I have been able to find. Suggestions?

Replies

• coffeemom03
    coffeemom03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a senior and don't do Spandex. JC Penny has workout capris and pants by Made for LIfe. They are not spandex and not quite so form fitting. I had to order my capris online, but the stores do have a good selection. It is the only place I buy workout clothes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You can always wear a longer shirt, or a pair of loose shorts if the compression gear makes you feel uncomfortable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You can always wear a longer shirt, or a pair of loose shorts if the compression gear makes you feel uncomfortable.

I believe that is what she is looking for (loose shorts.) It's very difficult to find women's shorts that are loose but long enough that bending over doesn't give everybody a peek at what is going on underneath. I've also found that most women's workout tops are cut narrow and cling to the midsection. My solution to that has been to buy t-shirts from the pajama section, which are not cut as narrow. The top in my avi is a pajama top, for example.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I like loose fitting light weight cotton pants with a flexible cuff at the bottom. Some of these are what have been called 'harem pants'. The aren't too different from what used to be called 'jogging pants' just a little more roomy. Now days they are available in both stretch cloth and a variety of colorful and fun lightweight straight woven cottons. Most of mine are made in India. I like them for yoga, pilates and just simple cool summer wear thats modest under a longish tunic type top. I like trying them on before purchasing, but I have bought some without trying and because they have the stretch waist, they did fit by guesstimation.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I believe that is what she is looking for (loose shorts.) It's very difficult to find women's shorts that are loose but long enough that bending over doesn't give everybody a peek at what is going on underneath. I've also found that most women's workout tops are cut narrow and cling to the midsection. My solution to that has been to buy t-shirts from the pajama section, which are not cut as narrow. The top in my avi is a pajama top, for example.

To clarify, I was suggesting keeping the yoga/compression pants and using a cover up as well. I wear the hanes "lounge shorts" because they're long enough, and have a good elastic waist as well as a pocket for my keys.

My wife likes them too.. We normally stock up when target does end of season restock with clearance to $3.50 or so.

As a guy, that's what I do... mostly because I figure nobody really wants to see all that.

Target had a great deal on compression capris(C4 brand) at 75% off last spring and I got like 6 pairs... I like them better than the full length/bicycle pants.

• kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A couple of suggestions:
    Look for soccer shorts. They are loose fitting, but longer. And they go all the way up to your waist!
    Lands end has some nice longer knit shorts.
    Walmart has a nice knit Bermuda and Capri (if you shop there!)
    Lucy athletic wear has a good selection of shorts that are not clingy.

Also, consider getting a running dress if you would like a workout top with extra length. I adore my NuuMuus! I run, workout, swim, and garden in them, and you can dress them up. The fabric is very high-quality, and though it feels a little heavy, doesn't wear hot. And if you have "floobies"--also known as a Dunlop--it won't ride up on them. Check out their website:
    https://nuu-muu.com/

I'm not officially a "senior" at 57, but I totally get the problem!
  • CLKgramma
    CLKgramma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions.
    Never thought of searching lingerie department. Never heard of NuuMuu!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Also look at men's shirts as they will be longer.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go to the men's department and get basic track pants and such.