Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting started, kind of overwhelmed, need tips please

So I'm just getting started in my weight loss/lifestyle change journey. I'm a 25-year-old female. I'm a stranger to nutrition and exercising. As sad as it is, I've never really painmuch attention to what I was eating/how much I was exercising. I was at a fairly healthy weight until I had my chikd. After that and a few unexpected/upsetting life events that all occurred almost simultaneously, my weight ballooned to 225 lbs. I want to make permanent changes to lose weight, excercise more, and be healthy but I have no idea where to begin. My goal weight is 110 lbs. I've been trying to get information about nutrition, fitness, exercise, etc. and I'm getting overwhelmed by how much there is. What are some tips/advice you'd give to a complete noob on where to begin?

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Have MFP setup your calorie goal for you.
    Don't worry about the macros (i.e. carb/fats/protein) setting for now.

Just eat what you normally eat, and log everything. (Be honest, you're only fooling yourself)
    That includes drinks, oils in cooking, etc. Get a scale and try and weigh everything.

Once you have done that for a few weeks, you will see where your 'calorie bombs' are, and make modifications.
    Don't get caught up in fad diets, eating 'clean' (which has no real meaning), just eat normally, but start to make subs for your high calorie items.

When you get the hang of it, you can start thinking about the nutritional values of your foods, but you will find that happens just by finding lower calorie options.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    And find an exercise you enjoy... maybe just walking if you haven't exercised before.
    Try and add some resistance training as well.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    -Food : Just start by logging a normal day and see what it looks like. Avoid the mindset of good/bad food groups. A balanced diet will include fruits, veggies, lean protein, fatty protein, pizza, cookies, and cake. The key is moderation and keeping portions sized so they align with your goals. Of course avoid foods that you are allergic to or are spoiled. I suggest a food scale for portion size accuracy. Even "single serve" packaged foods can be more than a serving. Even bread. My last loaf 2 slices should weigh 45g, but every time I weigged to slices they were 48g.

You don't have to low carb. If you want to and think you can eat that way once your at goal then that's fine. However it is not nessecary for weight loss.

- Exercise: Start slow and work your way into it. Pick something you enjoy and that you will look forward to doing. Cardio doesn't have to be walking or ruining; it can be dance, cycling, rowing, kickboxing, swimming, ect. Don't forget to strength train. Strength training will not only help with how you look once the weight is lost, but can make everyday activities easier as you get stronger.
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    when you do grocery shopping, try picking fresh, non processed items, read labels.. cook simple recipes, broil meat, steam veggies.. use spices and olive oil/vinegar.. eat salads with good proteins.. you'll do okay! best of lucks!! add me as a friend if you'd like! :)
  • cvegas
    cvegas Posts: 10 Member
    like @annaskiski stated: log EVERYTHING, drink more water and walk - walk - walk. I started with short walks around my building at work, then around my neighborhood and after about a year I finally joined a gym. The food logging really helps you make better choices. Your weight gain didnt happen overnight, take your time and aim to make one positive choice a day - you will get there! Good luck.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    I find having wonderful strangers that become friends on here to motivate and cheer when you're doing well, a real help. The support is awesome too when you hit a bump in the road :)