Recipes for healthy Condiments

Options
Czuni6
Czuni6 Posts: 93 Member
Hey all, summer time is here, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share some healthy condiment recipes (i.e. Mustard, dill relish, ketchup, salsa, pico de gallo, BBQ sauce). I'd love to hear your input!

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Everything you listed is all fine and low cal. The ketchup and bbq sauce in moderation. You can buy low sugar ketchup and add your own Worcestershire and spices (honey and garlic for example) to turn it into BBQ sauce.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what is the problem? The ketchup and BBQ sauce have some sugar, but you're using a couple tablespoons, right?

I do sometimes "cut" my BBQ sauce with a no/low calories hot sauce. It's too sweet for me otherwise.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy try Piri Piri. You can buy it, Nando is one brand. Or you can make it. I make this one it make almost 2 cups. You can use it as a marinade or sauce. On chicken, steak, pork, shrimp, or anything. I have also added it to mayo, bbq sauce, butter, ketchup, etc.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chilli sauce (Franks hot sauce in particular is good), salsa and sriracha are my go to condiments
  • Czuni6
    Options
    Oh thank you for the comments! I was just wondering if anyone had some good recipes...I love cooking and baking, and I was just wondering if anyone had some good condiment recipes to share.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hmmm...well I make my own cocktail sauce with reduced sugar ketchup, horseradish and lemon juice.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought mayo since the first time I made it myself about a year ago. It's SO much tastier than any mayo I've bought, and it makes me want to try other condiment recipes too! Making condiments is totally worth it if you enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes. Here is how I make it:

Ingredients:
    * 1 egg
    * 1 tbsp lemon juice
    * 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    * 1 cup light olive oil (it has to be light; otherwise it tastes funky)
    * Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
    * Put the egg, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt/pepper into a wide-mouth mason jar (or other container/bowl)
    * Blend thoroughly using an immersion blender
    * Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture while blending. It's important to do this slowly. I add small amounts of oil at a time to make sure it emulsifies properly

90% of the time it turns out incredible!!!! Tasty and thick. Once in a while it turns out a little runny but I think that's when I try to mix the oil in too quickly.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I made a chipotle chicken wrap for lunch today and made my own version of chipotle aioli using light mayo, chipotle tobasco, and a splash of milk. Soooo good and only 35ish cals per tablespoon.
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Raspberry chipotle sauce! So easy to make! Get a good quality raspberry jam/ jelly and a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce add adobo sauce to jam until it has the right amount of spicyness for your liking! Goes great on most meats! Veg cream cheese
    / Brie cheese ( yes I know these aren't low calorie but still absolutely delish! Don't judge)
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not sure if you classify it as a condiment, but I just tried my hand at making strawberry jam for the first time ever. Was simply 1 cup & 1/3 of stawberries (mashed ), I used 4 packets of stevia in the raw (in place of granulated sugar) and 1 1/2 tbsp pectin. Just followed instructions on pectin (real fruit classic pectin), turned out quite tasty & only 4 cals per tbsp. Made 2 8oz mason jars.
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also vinaigrettes are easy to make! I use fresh fruit or herbs and blend with oil and vinegar. I'm a chef but don't measure stuff just do what looks right to me so maybe google ratio if you don't cook like that?
    Ginger
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Basil !?
    the list goes on forever!
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    450 g plain greek yogurt
    1 packet ranch dressing mix
    62 g jalapenos
    heaping spoonful minced garlic
    handful cilantro

blend until smooth.

similar to chuy's creamy jalapeno dip; I use it as a dip with chips or to top tex-mex dishes instead of sour cream.
  • ckozbial
    ckozbial Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found these 2 BBQ sauce recipes and will never buy store brands again.
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/homemade-bbq-sauce-recipe/
    https://www.google.ca/amp/www.food.com/amp/recipe/barbecue-sauce-no-ketchup-482219
    I've also wanted to make this ketchup recipe, but I don't use a lot of ketchup, so I haven't yet.
    http://skinnyms.com/homemade-healthy-ketchup/
  • RochelleLUnangst
    RochelleLUnangst Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    * Put the egg, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt/pepper into a wide-mouth mason jar (or other container/bowl)

Is this with a raw egg?
  • Czuni6
    Options
    Guys, thank you so much! You all are AWESOME!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I put Mrs Renfro's green salsa in everything. It's basically roasted, puréed jalapeños - I love the heat and love not having to mess with dicing jalapeños, just chuck a tablespoonful in.

I also use a lot of ponzu-type sauce, which is healthy if you're not watching sodium. Soy, diced green onion, red pepper flakes, lemon, mirin or rice vinegar, sometimes ginger or garlic, a little sesame oil. Good for marinading beef or chicken, or put it on vegetables for at least 15 minutes for a quick pickle.

Tzatziki sauce - Greek Yogurt, olive oil, basil and oregano, garlic, lemon juice, garlic salt.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »

Is this with a raw egg?

The vinegar should keep it safe but if in doubt buy pasteurized eggs.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I put Mrs Renfro's green salsa in everything. It's basically roasted, puréed jalapeños - I love the heat and love not having to mess with dicing jalapeños, just chuck a tablespoonful in.

I also use a lot of ponzu-type sauce, which is healthy if you're not watching sodium. Soy, diced green onion, red pepper flakes, lemon, mirin or rice vinegar, sometimes ginger or garlic, a little sesame oil. Good for marinading beef or chicken, or put it on vegetables for at least 15 minutes for a quick pickle.

Tzatziki sauce - Greek Yogurt, olive oil, basil and oregano, garlic, lemon juice, garlic salt.

I love these too! Try mixing 1 cup of Mrs Renfro's green salsa with a large avocado in a blender. A great spicy avocado cream for tacos.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I see nothing inherently unhealthy about those condiments as is from the store. Pico de gallo is just chopped up tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, some lime juice, etc...so yeah...pretty healthy.