Weight loss challenges...

Options
Every year my friend puts together a weight loss challenge for work and her friends. This year rather than the person who loses the most winning the pool, anyone who loses 8% of their bodyweight in 10 weeks will double their money.

Anyway as some one who has had BED it just makes me really uncomfortable knowing people will crash diet to win money. She's asked me to join in the past and I simply decline and haven't bothered trying to talk to her about how unhealthy I believe it is. Both of us are at weights that we could easily lose 8% in 10 weeks healthily.

Am I being a stick in the mud? Personally I will never join in on one but wondering what others think. How might you set one up to promote actual health?

Hers is a $100 buy in.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I agree. Drastic change almost guarantees long term failure. Sure you'll hit that short term goal, but the critical changes to your daily habits are lost in this process.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't being a stick in the mud! You're being logical and sane.

Sadly, a lot of people who participate in these challenges gain the weight right back, so what's the point? And, if your friend does this EVERY year is it the same people trying to lost the same weight? Seems silly to me.

There may be a small percentage of people who benefit from these and it gets them on track to changing habits for good but very few.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Stick to your goals and plans- if you don't want to participate, save your $100 bucks. You are being logical to question whether or not it is healthy and I think you should stick to your usual plan: declining politely. Save that money in a different account to fund when you reach goals at your own pace (that's what I like to do anyway) if you want to reward yourself for your progress.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's unhealthy. I really don't see anything wrong with it. I mean obviously if you're going to join you want to loss some weight. You might as well get paid to do it. I think you're thinking to much into it because of your personal history. 10weeks to loss 8% is completely doable without a crash diet. You've told her you're not going to join so I'm just **assuming** here she isn't pressuring you into joining. So I would keep my option to myself. You're not in it and you don't have anything to do with it. I'm not sure of your level of friendship either though and weather or not she knows about you BED in the past. But Maybe you could politely but firmly just ask her not to ask you to participate in any of these competitions again.
    10weeks 150lbs, that would be 12lbs total which is 1.2/week. I don't see a thing wrong with that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing can be good for some people and bad for others. I wouldn't pay $100 to compete in something like this, there are a lot of better things to spend the money on.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she should add a caveat that they must loose 8% in 10 weeks and maintain for another 4 weeks?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'd be in that contest in a hot minute. I've done many such contests at work. I have no eating disorders and find it fun and a great way to drop a few lbs.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My work runs two or three biggest loser comps a year - i dont join in because they have too many rules and tend to not decide on the winning criteria until the end as well has having unreliable scales for th eofficial weigh-ins. It also seems to be the same people participating every time, but is only a $20 entry fee.

Saying that, I am doing my first 6 month transformer 'dietbet' - the transformers entrants aim to lose 10% over 6months and have rules to try and prevent crash dieting at the end. I'm actually finding having set goals for each round is keeping me mostly on track, eg I sprained my ankle last week so can't exercise and while that would usually be an excuse to eat takeways from the drive thru knowing I have an official weigh in for round 4 tomorrow has made me tighten up on my calorie intake for the month.

Its all about finding what works for you
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The fact that she does this "every year" shows her lack of commitment to a healthy lifestyle and a poor comprehension of how weight loss works.

You're not being a stick in the mud by not getting involved, but if you don't want to do it, then it's none of your business what your friend does.
    How might you set one up to promote actual health?

I wouldn't, because I hate group activities. But I guess you could make it more of a physical challenge (like, everyone throws in $100, runs in a local 5K in X months, and winner pockets the money).

I don't see any way to use food in a healthy challenge.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of weight loss challenges. In fact, a weight loss challenge with one of the singing groups I am in is what spurred my initial weight loss. I didn't win but it definitely added motivation.

Now, I will agree with you that people go about them in an unhealthy fashion. The winner dropped 12% of his body weight in 10 weeks and did basically starve himself to win. I came in second. Everyone on the challenge lost weight but only myself, and one other person, have maintained our weight loss a year later.

The winner put it all back on with bonus pounds. So these challenges are what you make of them. If they don't work for you, don't do them. For me, it was definitely a motivational tool and I've done a few others since then.
  • dm5859
    dm5859 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a six month Dietbet. There are rules to prevent crash dieting or cheating. But as to your friend's challenge, I don't see how it's possible. What if everyone buys in with$100 and makes the 8% goal. How is she going to pay everyone $200? I know not everyone will get to that goal but if more than half of the participants do, then ???? Am I missing something?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I also don't see anything wrong with the challenge. That does not mean its right for you. You know the terms, you consider the terms, and if you don't agree with it: don't participate. It could be just the thing another person needs to get them going. And aiming for less than 1% per week weight loss: does not encourage extreme measures/crash dieting in my opinion. There is no reason to aim for the most pounds lost based on the setup of this contest.

I would want to know where the double your money pot is coming from. If she assumes that at least half will miss the mark, and they do not, who is paying the additional funds? That is the biggest problem that I see, as it could result in problems among friends/coworkers if they do the work, lose the weight, and do not get paid as promised.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I thin these types of things can be good to kick start someone on the fence of dieting and getting fit. But they aren't for me. I get obsessive and competitive and it's just not healthy for me
  • LCorwin429
    LCorwin429 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hmm, for me, I do workout challenges from Pinterest for my own fun not for some one else's. -_- fasting& crash diets isn't a good way to loose w8, :o (dangerous ) :s I'm not the type of person to fast just for $$$ or whatever.

I say do what works best for you&you alone, but get good advice along the way.

This is what I do ( breakfast: small meal-( (lunch-or snack: something small-( Dinner have a good size meal) & I hear eating after 8:00 isn't a good idea either becuz weight is gained.
    But again do what you think is best\works out for you.
    I think your right not to join a fasting challenge your making a good choice there.

Take time in the ( morning-noon-night) to do some form of work out.

That's all I have to say about that :):smiley:

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    LCorwin429 wrote: »
    Hmm, for me, I do workout challenges from Pinterest for my own fun not for some one else's. -_- fasting& crash diets isn't a good way to loose w8, :o (dangerous ) :s I'm not the type of person to fast just for $$$ or whatever.

I say do what works best for you&you alone, but get good advice along the way.

This is what I do ( breakfast: small meal-( (lunch-or snack: something small-( Dinner have a good size meal) & I hear eating after 8:00 isn't a good idea either becuz weight is gained.
    But again do what you think is best\works out for you.
    I think your right not to join a fasting challenge your making a good choice there.

Take time in the ( morning-noon-night) to do some form of work out.

That's all I have to say about that :):smiley:

You seemed logical until this point, Simply isnt true
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't care for weight loss challenges in general. I prefer to focus on my long term health and not how much I lose in X amount of time. But I'm losing weight just fine without the external motivation. So I guess it's just a personal preference and what works for you.

And I suppose everybody needs a hobby. Maybe this is your friend's?