Body for Life ?

Options
Found a few books recently at the library that sounded interesting... one being "Eating for Life" Body for Life by Bill Phillips

Why does Body for Life sound so familiar? Is this the same as beach body for those of you that use that eating/workout plan? Something is clicking in my head because it sounds so familiar but I don't know why, it's sorta driving me crazy.:noway: :tongue:

Does anyone have any background on Body for Life?

I actually have been flipping through the recipes in it which look really healthy, though I haven't put them in a recipe calculator yet to see the breakdown. I see myoplex protein powder is mentioned for each of the days on the meals...hm, not interested in a diet as I eat very healthy now but am more interested in hearing the background of this whole thing etc..

I did a Google and He used to be a body builder (maybe still is?) and there is tons on the web about the Body for Life, so I'm looking for more than that...just a connecting point for my brain. I'm pretty positive I've heard the term Body for Life used here on MFP?

ty
FC:heart:

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Found a few books recently at the library that sounded interesting... one being "Eating for Life" Body for Life by Bill Phillips

Why does Body for Life sound so familiar? Is this the same as beach body for those of you that use that eating/workout plan? Something is clicking in my head because it sounds so familiar but I don't know why, it's sorta driving me crazy.:noway: :tongue:

Does anyone have any background on Body for Life?

I actually have been flipping through the recipes in it which look really healthy, though I haven't put them in a recipe calculator yet to see the breakdown. I see myoplex protein powder is mentioned for each of the days on the meals...hm, not interested in a diet as I eat very healthy now but am more interested in hearing the background of this whole thing etc..

I did a Google and He used to be a body builder (maybe still is?) and there is tons on the web about the Body for Life, so I'm looking for more than that...just a connecting point for my brain. I'm pretty positive I've heard the term Body for Life used here on MFP?

ty
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I bought Body for Life for Women a couple months ago. It's pretty cool. The theme is to learn how to eat healthy and exercise daily, including weight lifting, and to maintain that for life. Also the diet part about what specific foods to eat and not to eat, and portion sizes, that I found interesting and helpful (particularly the portion sizes). The author seemed to prefer the list of what to eat/not to eat to counting calories. The diet seemed kind of restrictive to me, though, and I prefer to count calories so I can eat what I enjoy in moderation.
    There is a whole section on weight lifting and it shows you how to do the exercises, but I haven't tried them.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    thanks for responding and your input brooke:wink:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i tried BFL a few years ago and found it extremely difficult. there is little variety int he food department (it touts low glycemic/clean eating) and extreme amounts of exercise... like 1-2 hours daily with one rest day.

i found it very hard to stick to, and therefore, not my type of diet, but if you like rigidity and want the "cut" look, it could work well for you. good luck FC!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    BFL has been around for a while. I've read the book and it's pretty interesting. He advocates lean protein w/ carb and veggies and then one cheat day a week. I just can't do cheat days (former binge eaters so it sets me over the edge!). And the exercise plan is HIIT (high intensity interval training) along w/ weight training. I know people that have gotten great results from it, but you really have to stick to it! And I know he endorses using replacement shakes for a couple meals at least.

It's not the same as Beachbody but does have a few similarities in the eating (lean proteins, good carb). It's been a while since I read the book, but let me know if you have any questions about it!

Jess
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My husband had success with it - for awhile. It is hard to plan the 6 little meals. He did feel great when he was doing it, though.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    i tried BFL a few years ago and found it extremely difficult. there is little variety int he food department (it touts low glycemic/clean eating) and extreme amounts of exercise... like 1-2 hours daily with one rest day.

i found it very hard to stick to, and therefore, not my type of diet, but if you like rigidity and want the "cut" look, it could work well for you. good luck FC!

It was too much planning ahead for me when I tried it - trying to work and eat 3 times while at work was a pain...and wasn't a lot of foods that I wanted to eat at the time - I found it really hard for me BUT my boss at the time loved it and had success with it - he ate more much more "cleanly" than I ever have so it wasn't quite as much of an adjustment for him.

Best part in it was the cheat day for me!
  • Dimason
    Options
    I did the Body for Life a couple of years ago and lost 12 kilos on it. Yes, it was very structured and yes, you do have to plan quite a bit in advance. But it really worked for me.

The cardio only takes about 25 minutes and you only do that three times a week. You do weights the other three. It is hard work but nothing without sacrifice, huh?

Bill Phillips was a body builder - he is a glorious specimen of man. If y ou can find it - watch Body of Work - a DVD he gives away with any new registration. I found it really motivating.

The only thing I didn't like was the diet does lean quite heavily on supplements and protein shakes, etc. I understand the requirement for them, but they're not really for me...

Good luck!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I did BFL and it was extremely effective. And pretty straight forward. We saw great results quickly. The only reason I don't do it now is bc we don't have access to the equipment that we did before.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Hey I truly appreciate all the input from you all....it just peaked my interest and I am glad you chimed in as well Jess as I knew you would know if it was anything to do with BB as you're the master of that!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Think I'll just read through the book a bit and glean what I can from it as I do all books on health.

Again thanks so much for all that commented with their experiences!:flowerforyou:

• punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I had great success with BFL last year....did it for three months. Had great muscle gains,i was squating 70lbs at one point, i lost over 4inches and 10lbs. Its a great program.