Couch to 5K Question!

Options
Hey!

So i just started doing the Couch to 5K program which I am very excites about. However, it's been years since I ran and on day 1 I had to stop the jogging section prematurely a couple times.

What do you think about repeating week 1, and then also doing week 2 twice and so on? Not looking to run a 5K in a certain period of time really.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    The three sessions the first week are the same. So how about seeing how you do with day 2 and day 3 first.
  • LosinMama2b
    Options
    I repeat weeks all the time...I want to make sure I'm truly ready to move on. I want to do this right for me, not right for everyone else. I think its working for me too since I'm officially on day 1 of week 6 today (will be running after work today). I like repeating the ones I don't feel I did well on (for example, on week 5 I was running up this HUGE hill and had to stop when I got almost to the top, so I repeated it and got all the way up the next time!) or if I hurt myself (for example, on week 2 I pulled a hamstring so I waited several days and then re-did week 2)

The most important thing is to go at your own pace and only move on if YOU feel you're ready!

Good luck and congrats on starting the program!!! I LOVE IT and I hope you will too!!
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    The program is designed so that you can do that- do what works for you. I had to skip one of the runs my first day and end prematurely on a couple others that first try. I did my second run yesterday and made it all the way thru- no skipped runs and I think i ended half a second early on one run and was so mad at myself for giving up-so you CAN do this!
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with repeating until you get comfortable. You might also be running too fast. The C25K suggestion is that you run at a conversational pace.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    C25K is very flexible, you can repeat each week until you feel comfortable enough to move on. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels best for you. Maybe shorten it to 30 second intervals at first, then start to follow the program. Also, you might be trying to run too fast. Slow down a little and see if you can maintain the pace easier.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would say...and I have run the entire program through twice, and now use it as a guide to do what I feel like I can handle on any particular day, that it is completely acceptable to re-run weeks or particular runs until you feel comfortable doing all the intervals as they are and are ready for more (like you feel as if you could continue running over the intervals but you still slow to a walk) I also think you can run more than 3 runs a week if you wish, I tend to do four days with interval runs like this and then three days on the elipticle or other cardio activity. but seriously.....this program works. I went from not thinking I could run for a minute without stopping to racing a 26 min 5k at 7000 altitude, it takes time and effort and the benefits are beyond incredible :)
    run strong.
  • alimarieban
    alimarieban Posts: 141
    Options
    I did the C25K last summer and I repeated days/weeks as necessary. Listen to your body. You should be able to tell when you are ready to move on to more mileage. Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no problem in repeating weeks many successful C25K graduates repeated a few as they went along.

When you retry this session, or do the same ratios later this week, go much slower - it can be barely faster than walking - to finish the run sections.

From my beginner's tips, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

"When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!"
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on doing this! Lots of high fives from me, since I just started last week as well! :drinker: <-water

On the first day of this week, my time was S-L-O-W and I got a stitch in my side, which hadn't happened at all the first week. I was worried I was going to have to repeat this week (and I still may), but after today's run, when I focused on maintaining a steady pace in both the running AND walking sections, I did so much better. And my pace ended up being four minutes faster on my run, though I hadn't planned on that! I think I was pushing too hard when I first began and really dragging by the time I finished (on day 1 of this week, not today). Because I was so consistend today, now I think maybe I will be able to move on to week three after all.

My point is that it IS okay to repeat weeks, but focus on keeping a manageable pace, and you MAY find that you won't need to yet. Whichever way you decide is best for you, I wish you all the very best! :flowerforyou:
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    Options
    double posted deleted
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    Options
    tripled post deleted
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 and I still jog at 4mph and walk at 3. I plan on working on faster speeds once I graduate from the 9 weeks at this speed. 5 weeks has taken me 10 weeks to finish, since May 16th, when I started. If my first 5K this fall takes me 45 minutes to finish, I'll be happy to just finish it, speed comes later.

Take your time, don't get discouraged if you can't do the exact interval, you know your limits, and you CAN do a week twice, the program is that flexible. :)
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I'm in the same boat--I tried to start C25K but I can't quite jog for two minutes straight yet... I decided to build up how fast I can walk first, then try to get to the point where I can jog for about 3 minutes without stopping and THEN I'll start C25K hehe!
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Repeating weeks in c25k is perfectly fine and something I had done as well while doing it.

Good luck!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Same here- I haven't run/jogged in years.... On my treadmill i feel like I am dying and gasping for air too. Don't worry about the time it takes and repeating the days....it's about becoming a stronger runner. becare about the times you run too- creeps are out when it's dark and the sun is out dehydrating you later...

Don't sweat the time it takes to build up your run- enjoy the sweat you made when you finished running!!

i'm always drenched! :):flowerforyou:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hey!

So i just started doing the Couch to 5K program which I am very excites about. However, it's been years since I ran and on day 1 I had to stop the jogging section prematurely a couple times.

What do you think about repeating week 1, and then also doing week 2 twice and so on? Not looking to run a 5K in a certain period of time really.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

I thought I'd need to repeat weeks too and never did. If all goes to plan I'll graduate from the program tomorrow morning.

My advice: take one week at a time and wait until you've completed all 3 sessions to decide whether or not you are ready to move on. There's nothing wrong with repeating sessions or entire weeks as needed, but you can't know now what you may be capable of doing 2 or 3 or 4 weeks from now.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Repeat a day, a week, whatever you need to do. Try to push yourself to move on after no more than 3 times on any day or week, though. Sometimes the psychological barrier of seeing that you need to run for 20 minutes straight can convince you that you just need to stick with week 4 for awhile. :smile:

You can do this!
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That's what I have been doing i don't repeat the full week I give myself a day or two extra then move on. On the plus side I have run 5 min straight for the first time in my life....
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)