How do you season your chicken before baking?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I love boneless skinless chicken thighs but I usually just bake them after lightly breading them. I'm in a rut and need a new (easy, kid friendly) way to cook them. What are your favorite ways to cook chicken?

Replies

• jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Weber's Kick n' Chicken or Old Bay seasonings are good.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I usually rub with Old Bay/ Chef Prudhomme Poultry seasoning, and/or Sazon. (I typically cut them into small pieces into freezer bag to later add to soup, rice, or throw a handful on top of veggie entrees. If eating as one full piece, could also sprinkle/spray with some olive oil, bread crumbs, parmesan (my usual treatment for roasting veggies).
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We have to watch our sodium intake at my house (diabetes/high blood pressure run in the family and we want to avoid both), so I use all of the sodium-free Mrs. Dash seasonings, they're all very good. Every once in awhile I use a little Old Bay or Italian seasoning. If I want BBQ chicken I cook thighs in a skillet skin-side down until the skin is crispy, then put the chicken in a baking dish, slather it with sauce and bake it until the sauce is caramelized and sticky.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Salt and pepper to start.

Depending on what, exactly, I'm in the mood for:
    dried mustard;
    garlic powder;
    various Italian seasonings (sage, rosemary, etc);
    various Mexican seasonings (chili powder, cayenne pepper, etc);
    BBQ (or some other) sauce;
    or just the salt and pepper.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    On the grill with some Montreal chicken seasoning.

mmm. I love that seasoning. (It's McCormicks.) I use it for all kinds of stuff, including sprinkling it on salads with just oil and vinegar. Such a good flavor combo.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thighs are where it's at! I much prefer them to chicken breast.
    My go-to is oil and garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt & pepper. Baked, grilled, or sauteed in a pan.

Others - chili powder + cumin, salt & pepper, drizzle with lime juice and a little zest when it comes out of the oven. Great in tacos or with some corn & black bean salsa.

A sprinkle of dry Italian or Ranch dressing mix. I also like this on pork chops.

Sear them in a pan with Italian seasonings. Remove from pan. Saute mushrooms and shallots, add rice or orzo and chicken stock. Put the chicken back in and simmer until the orzo is tender and chicken is up to temperature. Stir in lots of fresh spinach, parsley, and some grated Parmesan cheese.

Slice into strips, marinate in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, oil, and a bit of fish sauce or lime, then thread them on skewers. Grill and serve with Thai satay sauce.

Thighs + a jar of your favorite salsa + a crockpot

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Dry brined chicken thighs with the skin still attached are terrific.
  • bettycooker
    bettycooker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Marinated in Italian salad dressing for 30 minutes then grill or bake. Very easy and my 4yr old loves it!
  • anonymous0673
    anonymous0673 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make tikkas ...Hung yogurt salt turmeric chili powder/paprika lemon juice ... I also add ginger and green chili paste since we eat spicy food but you can skip that if u want... marinate overnight put them on skewers and bake .. broil for 2 min wen done
  • _Lala215_
    _Lala215_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate in Italian dressing and other times I use lots of herbs such as cilantro, parsley, basil, rosemary etc.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Two ways:

1) Marinate in Newman's Own Lite Lime Vinaigrette for one hour minimum, then a) grill, b) saute, or c) bake.

2) dip in a) seasoned flour, b) egg wash, c) bread crumbs or batter, then fry in oil at 375 degrees. Drain on rack or paper. While still hot, brush with Mr. Charley's Hot Chicken spice rub...(https://www.facebook.com/Mr-Charleys-Authentic-Nashville-Hot-Chicken-Spice-271602186292799/)
  • Kereru44
    Kereru44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tuscan seasoning
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If I do chicken breast, I have to marinate that thing for at least a day or else I find it completely bland. I prefer to marinate and grill.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Black pepper, Cayenne pepper, garlic powder
  • kellybrennan79
    kellybrennan79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    borsari is a life saver for me...a little olive oil or canola oil and borsari
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I dry rub with chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt, & pepper
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of chicken in my house, prepared all kinds of different ways, but recently someone on here suggested marinating it in pickle juice a la Chik-Fil-A, and it's been a revelation.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't even remember the last time I baked chicken. I typically cook it in a covered sauteed pan. It comes out nice and juicy.
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Marinate overnight in Yoshida and then grill. It's not the healthiest, but makes the chicken awesome.