I'm losing weight! :)

Options
To counter all the "I'm not losing weight threads" I thought I'd post my own little science experiment. I've been logging for four weeks and just for fun I put it all in a spreadsheet and here is what I came up with:

Starting Weight: 141.8 lbs. (I'm 5'2 and 46 years old)
Current Weight: 136.6 lbs.
Goal Weight: 120 lbs.

Four week average TDEE: 2050
Four week average daily calories: 1400
Total calories burned: 55352
Total calories eaten: 36411
Expected weight loss: 5.4 pounds
Actual weight loss: 5.2 pounds

I'm so happy! I think I'm going to aim for 1,500 a day, track for another 30 days, and see what happens.

THANK YOU to all the science-y people who preach CICO and don't demonize diet soda. Lot's of good advice and inspiration in these threads!

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    To counter all the "I'm not losing weight threads" I thought I'd post my own little science experiment. I've been logging for four weeks and just for fun I put it all in a spreadsheet and here is what I came up with:

I'm so happy! I think I'm going to aim for 1,500 a day, track for another 30 days, and see what happens.

THANK YOU to all the science-y people who preach CICO and don't demonize diet soda. Lot's of good advice and inspiration in these threads!

I would like to see the spreadsheet. LOL.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Awesome job btw.
  • NightShadeMary
    NightShadeMary Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! Congratulations!!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congrats! It sure is nice to see progress, isn't it?
  • Rayvis1014
    Rayvis1014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! By the way, I use a Fitbit Charge (not an HR) to determine my TDEE. It's obviously pretty accurate! I'm moving right now and my house is in chaos, but I'll go make my spreadsheet public and come back later to post a link to it here.
  • stylistdeb11
    stylistdeb11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm confused :( how many calories did you eat a day? Or does it change daily based on excercise?
  • Rayvis1014
    Options
    I added a link to my spreadsheet at the bottom of this post and I've also opened my diary. A couple of caveats: I have some very low calorie days, which I DO NOT advocate. In fact, going forward I am going to make a more concerted effort to eat more, now that I fully trust the process. Some of the low-calorie days stemmed from a heat wave and the fact that I'm packing and moving with two small children, and some because I haven't been eating if I'm not hungry. BUT, starting next week I'm going to be more focused on exercising, and I find that I have less energy for workouts if I eat too little. I'm actually planning to average 1,500 a day for the next month, and I will report back as to how that went.

As you can see from the spreadsheet, the 2050 TDEE and 1400 calories are averages. The actual numbers vary quite a bit each day. For this four weeks I haven't adjusted my eating based on exercise, which has been only walking, packing, chasing kids, etc., but rather based on hunger. If I'm hungry, I eat more and log it.

I also don't pay any attention to macros or nutrition at this point, but once my schedule settles down I plan to eat at maintenance and start lifting, at which point I will focus on doing 40/30/30 for my macros.

I'm happy to answer questions, but please no critiques of my eating or food choices. And once again, YES, some of my days I'm not eating enough, and I plan to fix that. But my average for the month is 1,400 per day.

Thank you for all of the kind comments!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yr0j8OuEVDLaOBbye6BRLaIiSEB-fnCOekb1_b0S4RY/edit?usp=sharing
  • Rayvis1014
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

I would like to see the spreadsheet. LOL.

I shared it! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    My data is over the past two years, like I said - and the thing I've learned that is the most surprising to me is that I can eat a whole lot more than the calculators say I should be eating for my maintenance weight. I've been at maintenance for about ten years.

I don't have a fitbit or any other monitoring device so my results are strictly based on best-guess for exercise and daily activity calories, and I'm eating an average of 565 calories a day more than any of the calculators suggest I should be eating to maintain. Of course it's not every day, but an average. I do use a food scale, my estimations slowly get out of control if I stop logging. I love the data, it's really the only valid method. Websites can give a rough estimate for a starting point, but we all have to listen to that inner voice and use our own instincts.

I think we are probably better at intuitive eating than we give ourselves credit for, and those days when I am stressed/busy all even out in the next few days of eating more. I rarely under eat, but when I do due to some outside stressful event I always end up eating more in the next few days and make up for it.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great job! We weigh about the same with similar goals. Makes me want to keep a spreadsheet as well!
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This post makes me so happy to see. Keep it up!!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Nerds rule. My sheet has 528 rows and 7 tabs.

Oh yeah baby.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    Nerds rule. My sheet has 528 rows and 7 tabs.

Oh yeah baby.

Yep. I have columns for 12 different things. I've had to start over a couple times on new tabs because I want to track deviance or averages, or net/total calories etc.

It's a fun project. So many colors. :love: