Skinless Chicken Thighs?

Options
There are so many variations of the calories of a skinless chicken thigh. Some sites say 4 Oz equates to 130 calories or 4 Oz equates to 210 calories. What do you guys use ?

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I usually always guesstamate on the high side if I'm unsure
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use the entry that matches the usda nutrient database, which is searchable online.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use the entry that matches the usda nutrient database, which is searchable online.

This. Choose depending on whether it's raw or cooked when you weigh it and cooking method if cooked.

I always use grams, but you can do ounces, of course.

05096, Chicken, broilers or fryers, dark meat, thigh, meat only, raw: 4 oz is 137 calories

05098, Chicken, broilers or fryers, thigh, meat only, cooked, roasted, 4 oz is 202 calories
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    There are "so many" entries for everything. Always check! USDA nutrient database for whole food "ingredients" or a package label for processed foods.

lemurcat makes a good point about just being sure to choose the MFP / USDA entry that matches whether you measured raw or cooked meat.

I will also say: be sure to measure, don't just assume 4 oz each thigh. I buy boneless skinless thighs from the same supplier all the time and they vary between just over 2 oz for tiny ones to 10 oz for big honkers (I think I got a 12 oz'er once), and I find that they tend to average around 5 oz. I weigh raw. Those same thighs would weigh in lighter if I weighed them AFTER cooking, of course.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    yeah seems like cooked 100 grams is around 200 calories, that sounds about right.