Late Night Snacking

Options
SOS

I am a chronic late night snacker. I think it's the reason for my weight gain, since I eat really clean during the day. How do you guys combat late night cravings? I always tell myself I won't but I end up binging on junkie snacks. It's gotten worse since I've started working night shifts (4-12) and come home really hungry.

Replies

• amandacreates91
    amandacreates91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy those foods. You can't eat them if they're not there. Meal prep. Have some healthy you can just stick in the microwave.
  • Elijah8468
    Elijah8468 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Out of sight out of mind. dont buy those snacks. What helps me with late night cravings is beef jerky. I'll get a small piece and just chew and drink lots of water
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Or save some calories to eat an after work meal. Don't eat junk, eat soup or a sandwich or eggs. Your schedule isn't 9 to 5, so your meals can reflect that. I am a night owl who goes to bed around 2:00 so I usually eat something before bed, usually milk or fruit or cheese. It's much too long between dinner and breakfast otherwise.
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I often eat light breakfast and lunch and save a good chunk of calories for a late evening meal/snack.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Kirkland Popcorn is great for a snack. I personally try my best to keep junk food out of our home.
  • LoveToRead91
    LoveToRead91 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of repeating what others said, but I work second shift so I'm on a similar schedule and I save a lot of my calories for night/after work. I usually eat light during the day, plus I'm not an immediate breakfast eater, I just don't want something right away. Then I've been taking either low cal snacks, or prepping lunches to take to work with me and leave a majority of the calories for at night. This combats the snacking because once I get home and eat my dinner, I'm full/not wanting to snack. And if I know I'd kill for some ice cream, I make my ice cream fit and will have some concessions elsewhere. You figure out what's worth saving calories for and what's not. I'm 100% on the you can eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your calories and I've lost 50 pounds. I do eat healthier, but a lot of that comes from finding healthier options I like and finding out there was a lot of food I used to eat that I don't find worth it anymore and try to remind myself of that the next time I'm craving whatever that was. So to summarize that extremely long response, if you always eat at night, save more calories for at night to stay under goal. Good luck, you can do this!
  • new_arc87
    new_arc87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I leave myself at least 300 calories to snack on before bed. Problem solved.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I save 200-300 calories for a 9:30 meal/snack/dessert.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I usually use 250-300 calories for snacks at night- I will allot a smaller lunch or even breakfast so my supper and sacks can fit into my day---
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    They say that sometimes when you think you are hungry it's really thirst. I tend to eat late as well. Wake up at night and eat. I try to save a couple hundred extra calories for a bowl of cereal or something at night.