hungry day after weights

Options
markswife1992
markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I do a HIIT/CrossFit type exercise 7 days a week and weight lifting two days per week. On lift days, I increase protein intake. The day FOLLOWING lift days, I am starving. Is this normal, and should I increase protein on this day instead (or also)? :)

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm like you but for me it's not the next day it's when I get home after my workout. I work out later on in the day and I have protein right after my workout. Everything I've read and heard about protein intake it's really important to take it after you finish your workout within 10 or 15 minutes cuz that's when your body really needs the most. When I get home about 8:30 I'm also hungry like a wolf.

Also a lot of people don't realize that lifting weights actually burns more calories than cardio work. On the days I lift when I get home I probably eat an additional 2 to 300 calories I'm just famished. Sometimes even more. Yet the interesting thing is I've been maintaining around the 208 area for the past 10 months but my waist size has gone from 38 inch to a 36 inch waist.

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I do a HIIT/CrossFit type exercise 7 days a week and weight lifting two days per week. On lift days, I increase protein intake. The day FOLLOWING lift days, I am starving. Is this normal, and should I increase protein on this day instead (or also)? :)

Yes, me too!
  • markswife1992
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i do eat extra protein on my lift days, just wondering why i am so hungry the NEXT day. LOL
    thanks for your input steve :smiley:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i do eat extra protein on my lift days, just wondering why i am so hungry the NEXT day. LOL

lifting creates a giant low-pressure zone that sucks all food in the immediate vicinity into its maw. you just don't notice it on the day-of because your system still hasn't quite figured out what just happened to it.

that's my version, anyway. the hungries are more fun than the drabs, anyway.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've always been the same way. Sorry I can't help, just curious if anyone else has any answer :)
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I workout often and lift heavy too. I love eating as well. The thing is though the hunger is not really related to the calories in this case. I would recommend eating a huge vegetable meal. You can get away with big portions that way.
  • glasstacular
    glasstacular Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The only downside of regular and consistent weight training I've found is the increase in my grocery bill.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Increase protien from what at what body weight, gender, bf%?

This question cannot be answered as asked.
    I'm like you but for me it's not the next day it's when I get home after my workout. I work out later on in the day and I have protein right after my workout. Everything I've read and heard about protein intake it's really important to take it after you finish your workout within 10 or 15 minutes cuz that's when your body really needs the most. When I get home about 8:30 I'm also hungry like a wolf.

Also a lot of people don't realize that lifting weights actually burns more calories than cardio work. On the days I lift when I get home I probably eat an additional 2 to 300 calories I'm just famished. Sometimes even more. Yet the interesting thing is I've been maintaining around the 208 area for the past 10 months but my waist size has gone from 38 inch to a 36 inch waist.

Your sources are either outdated or plain wrong. The myth of the importance of a protien window right after a workout was debunked.

Cardio will burn more calories than lifting weights in most cases.
  • markswife1992
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Increase protien from what at what body weight, gender, bf%?

This question cannot be answered as asked.

Your sources are either outdated or plain wrong. The myth of the importance of a protien window right after a workout was debunked.

Cardio will burn more calories than lifting weights in most cases.

I never knew it was debunked to eat/consume protein after lifting weights. I will have to look into that more. thanks for your input.