Jump rope to tone thighs and calves?

Options
AngelaHuo
AngelaHuo Posts: 15 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I am planning about 10 minutes every day as a starter. Will this tone them up?

I am 5 ft 1 and 108 lbs. I just need to focus on those for now.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Move it. That helps.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "tone" generally refers to making your muscles more visible. Your muscles are generally not visible because they are covered by fat, because they are too small, or a combination of both. Unfortunately you cannot remove fat in specific areas by moving those areas more. You lose fat all over your body in whatever areas your body "chooses". So if you are eating at a calorie deficit, and the rope jumping contributes to that, sure you might eventually "tone" your thighs and calves.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    "tone" generally refers to making your muscles more visible. Your muscles are generally not visible because they are covered by fat, because they are too small, or a combination of both. Unfortunately you cannot remove fat in specific areas by moving those areas more. You lose fat all over your body in whatever areas your body "chooses". So if you are eating at a calorie deficit, and the rope jumping contributes to that, sure you might eventually "tone" your thighs and calves.

This person is 108 pounds, so I really doubt that fat is covering their muscles! For smaller individuals sometimes we truly mean we need to tone up.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

This person is 108 pounds, so I really doubt that fat is covering their muscles! For smaller individuals sometimes we truly mean we need to tone up.

If that is the case then the problem is that the legs muscles aren't big enough muscle to actually show. Jumping rope won't do that either. I'd suggest a solid strength training program and eating at maintenance or even surplus.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

yup. but on mfp the standard response to just about every question is "eat in a calorie deficit" I SMH at the number of times "eat at a calorie deficit" is suggested for people way below a healthy weight.

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    AngelaHuo wrote: »
    I am planning about 10 minutes every day as a starter. Will this tone them up?

I am 5 ft 1 and 108 lbs. I just need to focus on those for now.

You might see some initial results but that would simply be the muscles being activated and showing more. I would check my fat percentage, and if its at a low, I would go with eating at a caloric surplus, and getting on a proper progressive load strength program. Apart from Deadlifts and Squats, I would also recommend the machines that isolate movements on hamstrings and thighs as well.

Thighs are easier to "tone" compared with calves though. Calves depends on genetics so much.

You will gain some fat along with muscle, and then you do a cut while staying on the program. As a newbie, your gains will be easily visible in 6 months. With the increased muscle mass, as you go down in weights, you will look "toned".