Is there an ultimate diet for health, energy and disease prevention?

Options
I'm here on MFP mostly to lose weight, but as a 2-time cancer survivor, I also have an interest in knowing how to eat in the most healthful way possible from here on out. At this point I'm following a balanced, mostly-from-scratch diet that doesn't exclude any food groups, but have to admit that I'm fascinated and confused by how ketogenic dieters and plant-based dieters both claim to have the ultimate approach to lowering disease risk and improving physical function, despite these diets being almost diametrically opposed. Then there are the intermittent fasters, the gut health contingent, the paleo folks, and so forth. Thoughts? Experiences? I'm interested in knowing why you chose the path you chose, and what your results have been like, both physical and mental. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• FindingBecky
    FindingBecky Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Great responses! I like how you both think.
  • aerdnaveg
    aerdnaveg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My mom's friend followed a paleo diet after going into remission for breast cancer, and I *believe* it was recommended to her by a naturopathic doctor. Unfortunately the cancer returned and is in her bones. She has now been instructed (by a naturopath) to eliminate most animal products and primarily follow a plant-based diet.

I have read a lot about the effects that a plant based diet can have on reversing disease and contributing to overall health, but I'm also vegan and recognize that I'm biased towards those studies because of it. Anyway, you might find the documentary "What The Health" to be of interest. It's on Netflix and Youtube.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm here on MFP mostly to lose weight, but as a 2-time cancer survivor, I also have an interest in knowing how to eat in the most healthful way possible from here on out. At this point I'm following a balanced, mostly-from-scratch diet that doesn't exclude any food groups, but have to admit that I'm fascinated and confused by how ketogenic dieters and plant-based dieters both claim to have the ultimate approach to lowering disease risk and improving physical function, despite these diets being almost diametrically opposed. Then there are the intermittent fasters, the gut health contingent, the paleo folks, and so forth. Thoughts? Experiences? I'm interested in knowing why you chose the path you chose, and what your results have been like, both physical and mental. Thanks in advance!

IMO, the reason they believe that is because of one or two studies that would support it, while ignoring the specific parameters behind those studies and if it's even possible to be replicated. For example, many who follow keto believe it can prevent cancer... But most of the research, at least from what I have seen, would suggest it may improve your chance of living with certain types of cancer (largely brain) if you follow keto and go through treatment. The bigger problem is, people associated treatment with prevention. And that just isn't how it works.

Ultimately, being a healthy weight and exercise will improve your health the most (no matter the diet you follow) but genetics is a *kitten*. At best, you can get a very wholesome diet but if genetics is out for you, diet won't do much. It's why young fit people still die; in fact, one of my wife's friends brother just did. He was very lean, muscular, non smoker, non drinker, 35 years old and exercised almost daily.
  • aerdnaveg
    aerdnaveg Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

She should be listening to her oncologist.

I agree, I've never asked why she doesn't turn to her oncologist for advice about diet. I personally consult my physician when I have questions related to nutrition.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I believe the best diet is one you can live with.

I eat 7-8 servings of different fruit and veg a day, hit around 70-90g protein a day, most from lean sources. I hit my fat goal every day and take a multi vit for any micros I might be missing.
    Other than that I eat and drink what I like, life's too short to sweat every little choice.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies, low sugar (cancer cells like sugar), green tea. Check out the blog Crazy, Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr (I think that's her name) and you can see her thoughts. Best of luck.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Nope does not exist. Ideal is a wide variety of foods containing a mix of both macro and micronutrients. That said avoiding heart disease vs cancer ECT some very contradictory studies have been done on some narrow populations that show for x disease you may want more or less of y food. But they are slight trends in limited population and none of them prevent all disease. So eat a mix of delicious nutritional foods.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The best healthy eating plan is one that you can keep doing indefinitely, keeps you lean (has appropriate calories to keep you in the normal body fat range), is not stressful for you (stress increases chance for certain illnesses and modifies risk taking behavior), and preferably one that has plenty of vegetables. How you handle the rest doesn't have too much of an effect. Consistency and sustainability are the most important aspects of any plan. Not drinking excessively, not smoking, not suntanning too much, exercising...etc are some other behaviors that go along well with a healthy diet.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A well-rounded diet that you enjoy seems to be the consensus here. I would avoid soy, though, as it mimics estrogen.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Interesting--all I can say is that here, in Italy, a nutritionist was asked that question on TV. His response was: to eat a little of everything (not always the same things). That way you spread the risk. I thought that made sense.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think the answer to this question is not just going to be different for different people, it HAS to be different for different people. Some people have specific health issues that necessitate dietary guidelines to maintain their health, but that for someone else would be detrimental to their health. As far as cancer prevention . . . . well, there are several zones of people around the world who have way above average health and longevity. To the best of my recollection, the main thing those zones have in common is eating fresh foods (little or no preservatives) and little or no ADDED sugar. Another common factor was regular consumption of so-called "superfoods" like olives, leafy green vegetables, etc. Personally, I eat Keto style for my own specific health issues. I try to consume protein that is fresh and lots of leafy green vegetables and healthy fats. I am not always successful. Whatever way of eating you choose to follow, preparation is key. Good luck.