Child weight gain related to diet beverage intake during pregnancy?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I didn't even drink regular soda when i was pregnant. Let a lone artificially sweetened drinks, and i still don't drink them now 22 years later. I'm in the camp of better to be safe than sorry.

It's totally up to the parents if they want to drink diet soda, but i would not give this stuff to kids, and especially not before they're even born!

I have no science to back up my opinion, because that's all it is, my opinion and my gut feels.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. I noted they only looked at mums with gestational diabetes. I wonder if this holds true for normal pregnancies as well. It should be looked into further. I say this because a study came out saying kids exposed to pets and allergens as infants were less likely to develop asthma. So everyone touted that study. But then a follow up study was done that showed that the opposite was true if the mum was asthmatic...that early exposure of her infants to pets and allergens increases the risk of developing asthma. These health conditions are far more complex than a simple cause and effect. Usually there are multiple factors. The most that can be drawn from this study is that artificial sweeteners do not protect kids of mums with gestational diabetes from childhood obesity.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It actually says that there was no proven cause or effect.

Some of the womans data used only drank one sweetened drink. Sweeteners in foods don't seem to have been taken in to consideration.

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I would assume that the women who are drinking diet soda during pregnancy have more than just that separating them from women who drink water during pregnancy.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Agree with Freyas. This study shows correlation, not causation.

Women who drank sugar sweetened beverages and/or artificially sweetened beverages daily during pregnancy likely had other risk factors which were likely to make their children overweight.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The one and only craving I had while pregnant was diet coke. I was thrilled my doctor said I could have it in moderation. I had one pretty much every day for the last 6 months of my pregnancy and one cup of coffee with Sweet & Low. As an infant and child my son was pretty consistently in the 90th percentile for height and 10th for weight. My husband and I used to joke that it looked like we ate all the food in the house and didn't let him have any. He's now 22 years of age, eats nothing but junk food (he's out of the house, not like I can stop him), never met a vegetable he liked, hates exercise, and is 6'1" and, last time he told me, 140 lbs.